• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Toy Story Sequels

#1 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:12 PM

From New York Newsday...

Walt Disney Co. is working on not just one but two new sequels in the "Toy Story" series at the same time, Disney chief executive Michael Eisner said yesterday.

"Toy Story," which came out in 1995, and 1999's "Toy Story 2" were blockbuster film and merchandising hits for Pixar Animation Studios, the Disney partner that produced it, and for Disney.

But that partnership is ending after two more films, giving Disney the right to craft sequels if Pixar does not want to.

"We're doing two 'Toy Stories' at once," Eisner said in listing some of Disney's film plans at a Goldman Sachs investment conference in Manhattan.

A spokeswoman in Los Angeles for Disney studios later elaborated, saying, "They're working on different story ideas with the hopes there will be a 'Toy Story 3' and another after that."

A Pixar spokeswoman declined to comment.

The partnership's next computer-animated film is "The Incredibles," which debuts Nov. 5 and which Eisner predicts will be a "giant blockbuster."

Disney is trying to rev up its own computer animation department because traditional animation has fared poorly in recent years. Among its computer animation plans, Disney is producing "Chicken Little," which Eisner said will cost half as much as competitors spend on such films.

Still, the question remains whether on its own, Disney can come close to Pixar's unbroken streak of huge triumphs with computer-animated films.

Eisner said an enormous amount of computer-animated movies will spill forth from Hollywood in the next few years, but victory will boil down to story-telling and emotion, rather than just technology.

#2 User is offline   Abu 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, Games,

Posted 12 October 2004 - 01:09 AM

So Disney is working on the them not Pixar. I got a bad feeling about this.

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 12 October 2004 - 12:05 PM

Abu said:

So Disney is working on the them not Pixar. I got a bad feeling about this.

I'll have my own doubts about it until they prove me wrong.

#4 User is offline   DisneyFreak1228 

• Studios God

Posted 12 October 2004 - 04:20 PM

QuickGold said:

which Eisner said will cost half as much as competitors spend on such films.

Which explains why their CGI is so crappy.
Anyone see PhilharMagic?
I am taking graphic design in school, after all, so I know how that's all done, and how to make it look Pixar and Dreamworks standard, and WDFA's CGI is extremely far from looking as good as Pixar and Dreamworks.
I think WDFA's CGI is going to be a major failure.
*Leslie Ivette*

#5 User is offline   velvetdrug 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 12 October 2004 - 06:45 PM

[quote="DisneyFreak1228Which explains why their CGI is so crappy.
Anyone see PhilharMagic?
[/quote]

You guys need to have some faith.

PhilharMagic isn't that bad. Sure some scenes could of been better. But remember that in the case of PhilharMagic, they are reproducing 2D works into CGI, which it is why some characters don't look their best.

In Toy Story's case, all the characters were CGI to begin with. So they should do a better job of reproducing those.

I have my faith that it will turn out okay. Unless ofcourse Toystory 3 and 4 turn out to be direct to video. In which, all bets are off.

#6 User is offline   DisneyFreak1228 

• Studios God

Posted 12 October 2004 - 08:50 PM

Yes, most of the characters were originally 2D. The animation of the characters isn't really the crappy part about them, I guess I shouldn't say that, seeing as to how they are all primitive shapes and splines thrown inside metaballs and NURBS and then animated with methods such as PLA (Point Level Animation...That's the graphic designer in me talking, did I lose anyone there, if I did let me know and I'll explain it if you'd like)
The real problem lays in the texturing of the objects. WDI didn't spend enough time refining the textures they threw on top of each object (or in this case, character) to make them look as realistic as possible, which I know is a rather time consuming process, but is extremely critical in CG animation to achieve the best possible result.
*Leslie Ivette*

#7 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:40 AM

The only "bad" scene in Philharmagic was the Aladdin scene (after Jillian pointed it out to me).

velvetdrug said:

I have my faith that it will turn out okay. Unless ofcourse Toystory 3 and 4 turn out to be direct to video. In which, all bets are off.

I think its more likely that'd we see direct to video for these sequels.

#8 User is offline   DisneyFreak1228 

• Studios God

Posted 13 October 2004 - 02:27 PM

Yeah, I agree with Matt (there's a line you don't hear everyday.)
Eisner's already cutting corners on these projects.
How can you tell?
He said himself that their CG movies, like Chicken Little, will cost half as much as everyone else spends on them.
So, I doubt he's going to spend money on marketing Toy Story 3 & 4 for a theatrical release.
*Leslie Ivette*

#9 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 13 October 2004 - 03:15 PM

DisneyFreak1228 said:

Eisner's already cutting corners on these projects.
How can you tell?
He said himself that their CG movies, like Chicken Little, will cost half as much as everyone else spends on them.
So, I doubt he's going to spend money on marketing Toy Story 3 & 4 for a theatrical release.

Maybe why it's cheaper is because Disney's animation department is larger than Pixar's and thus has more resources available to it, which in the end reduces cost?

#10 User is offline   DisneyFreak1228 

• Studios God

Posted 13 October 2004 - 03:30 PM

Yeah, that's it.
Please, he's cut corners on everything else, why do you think this is any different?
And Disney's animation dept. doesn't have more resources. Look at the work done by Pixar and Dreamworks and then look at the animation done by Disney, such as these screen caps from Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas on the Disney Database. How can you compare them? You can't. CGI done by Disney is done badly, which is why it was all done through Pixar.
*Leslie Ivette*

#11 User is offline   Micah 

• Studios God

Posted 14 October 2004 - 10:34 PM

Must they always make sequels? *shrugs*

#12 User is offline   TinkerBell1981 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Interests:Tinker Bell, Florida Marlins, anything Disney

Posted 15 October 2004 - 08:35 AM

They just better not mess it up.

#13 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 15 October 2004 - 11:53 AM

I'm almost hoping it's direct-to-video sequels. No one ever sees those anyway.

#14 User is offline   DisneyFreak1228 

• Studios God

Posted 15 October 2004 - 12:00 PM

TinkerBell1981 said:

They just better not mess it up.

Don't hold your breath.
I see nothing but a major screw up coming with this.
*Leslie Ivette*

#15 User is offline   TinkerBell1981 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Interests:Tinker Bell, Florida Marlins, anything Disney

Posted 15 October 2004 - 04:28 PM

They're gonna butcher Toy Story.

#16 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 17 November 2004 - 08:10 PM

Disney Booting Up 'Toy Story 3'

By Sheigh Crabtree and Gregg Kilday

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Walt Disney Studios is actively proceeding with a second sequel to Pixar Animation's "Toy Story" franchise, a move that could make it more difficult for the two companies to extend their rocky relationship.

Disney is in the process of setting up a digital animation facility in Glendale -- not far from the digs of its bitter rival DreamWorks Animation -- that will be used for the production of "Toy Story 3."

While Disney has the rights to do sequels to "Toy Story," it has held off from doing so in the past, in part in deference to Pixar CEO Steve Jobs (news - web sites) and executive VP John Lasseter, both of whom haven't wanted to lose control of the characters.

But with Pixar announcing earlier this year that it would end its distribution relationship with Disney following the 2005 release of the Lasseter-directed "Cars," Disney CEO Michael Eisner and studio head Dick Cook have signaled their determination to bring Woody, Buzz Lightyear and the gang back to the big screen.

The project falls under the aegis of David Stainton, president of Walt Disney Feature Animation. Andrew Millstein, who headed the company's now-shuttered animation facility in Orlando, also is involved and has begun the process of recruiting animation heavyweights from rival animation studios and effects shops.

Neither Disney nor Pixar would comment.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users