Studios Central: Rob's Family Vacation to WDW - June 2004 - Day 2 - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rob's Family Vacation to WDW - June 2004 - Day 2

#1 User is offline   rob_wilson 

• Resident Game Show Expert
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney, Trivia

Posted 11 June 2004 - 01:41 PM

Players: Rob (the guy footing the bill), Debbie (the wife), Donny (the son), Hayley (the daughter)

Lodging: Port Orleans: French Quarter an EPCOT Resort

Dates: 6/3-6/10 (This post relates to 6/4)

Transportation: Nissan Quest van

We got up early on Friday. After getting everything ready to go, we hit the continental breakfast at 6:30 am. Once we finished up, it was back on the road for us.

Around 11:00, we were at the official Disney Welcome Center in Ocala, Florida. The kids asked me to take photos of them in front of the big Mickey and Minnie images outside of the building, so I took a couple. I was traveling with the 2004 Birnbaum guidebook, which had a coupon in the back for a free gift at the Welcome Center. I turned in the coupon and was handed a nice Minnie Mouse keychain. A similar coupon a year or two earlier had netted me a nice Sorcerer Mickey key chain, so this was a pretty good companion piece. After a quick trip to the restrooms, we were back on the road.

Our next stop was for lunch. We stopped just outside of Wat Disney World property at a Uno Pizzeria. We ordered what they described as personal pan pizzas, but they were much larger than the pizzas you would get at Pizza Hut if you ordered their Personal Pans. We could have easily gotten by on half of the food we ordered. We all left there stuffed.

From there, it was a quick hop over to our hotel. I checked in at the Port Orleans: French Quarter and we were in our room (4147) by approximately 1:15 pm. We started unpacking and I made a call to the front desk to see if a couple friends of ours (Tim and Erika) had checked in yet. Once I confirmed they had, I asked to be transferred to their room. By a remarkable coincidence, they were staying in the same building as us. We hadn't planned that in advance, but it worked out well for our planning.

We all met at our room and it was decided that Debbie would take Donny and Hayley swimming while Tim, Erika, and I would check out the Marketplace. We weren't gone long before heavy rains started. We ended up trapped in Once Upon a Toy for awhile. Once the rain slowed up, we decided to head back to the hotel figuring that the rest of our party hadn't got much swimming in due to the rain. Sure enough, they only spent about 15 minutes at the pool.

At the hotel, I had flipped on the television just in time to see warnings about West Nile Virus for most of Florida. Perfect, as if the rain wasn't bad enough, now I had to be on the lookout for WNV carrying mosquitoes.

We left the room in order to grab a bite of dinner at the food court. After that, we bummed around at the hotel for a bit and then turned in early. Big day at MGM (Star Wars Weekends) in the morning.

(To Be Continued)

#2 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney. Should there be anything else?

Posted 11 June 2004 - 02:30 PM

How strange, I was in Uno's just a few hours after you. The WNV thing has been around non-stop, use bug spray, don't swim in the marsh. Hope you enjoyed the rain a little more. It helped keep it cooler while you were here.

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 11 June 2004 - 03:11 PM

trendymagic said:

don't swim in the marsh

:P Good tip

If there's a good thing about rain, its that it usually means smaller crowds. How many hours could you estimate it took to drive down in total Rob?

#4 User is offline   rob_wilson 

• Resident Game Show Expert
  • Interests:Disney, Trivia

Posted 11 June 2004 - 09:03 PM

QuickGold said:

If there's a good thing about rain, its that it usually means smaller crowds. How many hours could you estimate it took to drive down in total Rob?

It was about 15 hours in total each way and that includes a few brief stops (bathroom breaks, a couple meals, fill-ups).

Rob

#5 User is offline   mandabella 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Interests:Disney, musicals, and jewelry

Posted 11 June 2004 - 09:16 PM

rob_wilson said:

QuickGold said:

It was about 15 hours in total each way and that includes a few brief stops (bathroom breaks, a couple meals, fill-ups).

Rob

Rob, I enjoying reading your trip report!

15 hours doesn't sound too bad, but then again the longest I have driven is from Wilmington, DE to Williamsburg, VA. (4-6 hours depending on traffic) Beyond that, I'm on a plane! :-P

#6 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 12 June 2004 - 09:00 AM

Mandabella said:

15 hours doesn't sound too bad, but then again the longest I have driven is from Wilmington, DE to Williamsburg, VA. (4-6 hours depending on traffic) Beyond that, I'm on a plane! :-P

From New York to Orlando is about 24 hours :|

#7 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God

Posted 12 June 2004 - 10:05 AM

QuickGold said:

From New York to Orlando is about 24 hours :|

Why so long? It's only about 1100 from NYC to LBV. Or does it just feel that long.

#8 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 12 June 2004 - 12:04 PM

Well it's probably closer to say 22 or 23 hours but 24 is more accurate if you include stops and stuff. It's about 1200 miles away(give or take) if you do about 55mph(speed limit), it's 24 hours.

#9 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God

Posted 12 June 2004 - 12:17 PM

QuickGold said:

(give or take) if you do about 55mph(speed limit)

It's 70 in FL, GA and some of the Carolina's. Oh wait you must mean the vehicle speed can't go above 55. I had a car like that once. 8)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users