• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rob's Trip Report (May 31st - June 8th)

#1 User is offline   rob_wilson 

• Resident Game Show Expert
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney, Trivia

Posted 09 June 2005 - 05:40 AM

This might be a bit of a turbulent report jumping back and forth through time, but in a way it seemed that way too, so maybe that isn't so bad. I'm going to start with quick synopsis of stuff and then flesh out the WWTBAM-PI! reports. Then I'll go back and try to fill in around them what else we did as time permits.

We arrived in Orlando on Tuesday, May 31st and had determined going into the trip that we would not hit any theme parks on the first day. Instead, we attended the Polynesian Resort's Luau, which we got rained out of last year. This time, the event went on as scheduled and we greatly enjoyed the dinner and show.

Wednesday was spent at EPCOT and included a ride on Soarin'. This is the attraction copied from Disney's California Adventure park next to Disneyland in California. We stayed at EPCOT through the Illuminations show at the time of the park closing.

Thursday was spent at the Magic Kingdom and included a visit to Stitch's Great Escape. This is a new attraction at Tomorrowland where you get to witness the transfer of prisoner 626 and his inevitable escape. We stayed until the park closed after watching the fireworks show entitled Wishes.

That brings us to Friday. We had worked out in advance with some friends from Florida that they would attend Play It! with us all day on Saturday, so Friday, though we were at Disney-MGM Studios, it wasn't to get into the Hot Seat, at least not for me. Instead, we mingled with the Star Wars characters and rode The Great Movie Ride and such. We did, however, attend several shows of Play It!, particularly the Star Wars editions, hoping that one of the kids or Debbie would get into the Hot Seat as it seems to come easier to me on most trips. In other words, I played, but sandbagged it hoping that I wouldn't end up regretting it.

Unfortunately, no one in our party got into the Hot Seat on Friday. So, we returned on Saturday with our friends. The first two shows were Star Wars shows again, so I continued to be purposefully slow in anticipation of the first regular show. We did get to watch some pretty interesting shows. An elderly man, who we later met, won a fastest finger question asking us to put four scenes from "Return of the Jedi" in chronological order. When he got to the Hot Seat, he admitted that he had just punched in something. The host asked if he was a big Star Wars fan and he said that he had never seen any of the movies. The host ended up assisting him through the 1,000 point mark before leaving him to miss in the middle tier. Ironically, the same man would later win another fastest finger question during the regular shows and would be forced to decline a stack where he may have done well.

Anyway, that takes us to the first regular show and this Fastest Finger question:

Arrange these state capitals in alphabetical order by the first letter of the state -

A. (I don't remember which one)
B. Olympia
C. Atlanta
D. Montgomery

Since the question stated "by the first letter", I made an assumption that there wouldn't be any two states with the same first letter and immediately punched in D first. I then noticed that Olympia would be Washington which had to be last since no state names start with X, Y, or Z. That just left me to decide what order A and C went and I entered them pretty quickly. Quickly enough to earn my chance at another cruise.

My first few questions went by quickly, though I did hesitate a bit at 1,000 points on the following:

Which of these is a metal surface used for cooking?

A. Grommet
B. Gimlet
C. Griddle
D. something else with a G

I immediately thought Griddle, but I was trying to remember what a grommet was. Annoyingly, someone from the audience shouted out "oh come on" just as I started to answer griddle and earn another baseball cap.

The host then chastised the individual saying that it is much different when you are sitting in the Hot Seat than in the audience. Anyway, on to the next questions:

2,000 - People trying to get ahead in a corporation are said to be "climbing the corporate" what?
A. Stairs
B. Rope
C. Ladder
D. something else

4,000 - Neuschwanstein castle can be found in which of these countries?

Don't remember the choices, but told the host that it certainly sounded German to me so Germany would be my final answer. The host confirmed my response, but also reminded me that I shouldn't just guess since I had lifelines.

8,000 - Which of these Disney characters is a fish?
A. Cleo
B. Marie
C. Figaro
D. Dinah

I responded that being cats, Marie, Figaro, and Dinah would all like to eat Cleo the fish. He then asked which movie Cleo was from and I told him it was Pinocchio. I also asked him to feel free to throw as many Disney questions at me as he liked.

16,000 - According to the Bible, where did Judas betray Jesus?
A. Mt. Sinai
B. Bethlehem
C. Jerusalem
D. Gethsemane

Unfortunately, my knowledge is sadly lacking in this field, so I was forced to use a lifeline. The audience gave me the correct answer of D, but only by the smallest of margins. I 50-50ed and of course was left with the two highest vote getters of C and D. I settled on D and continued.

32,000 - If you are hearing "tintinnabulation", you are hearing which of these sounds?
A. Strumming
B. Ringing
C. Drumming
D. something else

I answered that my friend Quasimodo had often complained of the tintinnabulation of the bells of Notre Dame so ringing was my final answer.

At 64,000, I was asked What is the full name of the Statue of Liberty?
A. Liberty Standing Tall
B. Liberty Against Tyranny
C. Liberty Enlightening the World
D. Proud Liberty

I thought a bit before giving my final answer of C. The host confirmed my response but reminded me again that I shouldn't just guess.

125,000 - Robin Williams played real life doctor Oliver Sacks in which of these films?
A. Awakenings
B. Good Will Hunting
C. Patch Adams
D. What Dreams May Come

I had seen B and C, but not A or D. So, I debated for a moment then decided that it had to be A as I thought D was more of a fantasy film and A was a medical film of some sort. The host, exhausted from my "guessing" of the last two questions pointed out that I am stubborn. I didn't deny it, in fact pointed out that this was due to being a Taurus. He then said that he was also a Taurus and we compared birthdates. This led, ironically, to the following question.

250,000 - According to the Chinese Zodiac, 2001 was the "Year of the" what?
A. Hare
B. Snake
C. Dragon
D. Tiger

I mentioned that we were just talking about the Zodiac, but it wasn't the Chinese Zodiac. I knew I was born during the Year of the Horse, but since that wasn't a choice, repeatedly adding 12 years to that wasn't going to help me much. I narrowed it down in my mind to being either Snake or Tiger, but couldn't decide so I phoned a stranger. The stranger said he was 50% sure it was Dragon. I went against that and gave Tiger as my final answer. The correct answer was Snake.

While in the Prize Room, I told the host that I was a former million point winner and he said that he could tell that I knew what I was doing. I also said that I had nothing against him, but that Don Limpkin was always my good luck charm. That's when I learned that Don had left Millionaire to act as host of Lights! Motors! Action! the new stunt show.

(End Part 1)

#2 User is offline   rob_wilson 

Posted 09 June 2005 - 05:46 AM

We continued to go to as many Play It! shows as possible the rest of the day. We often got on the leaderboard, but not number 1 at the right time. Oddly, we started noticing animosity growing from some of the other audience members. One couple in particular kept glaring at us. We also realized after a bit that when they could sit close enough to do it, they were copying our answers. It didn't matter, they never made it to the Hot Seat, but it does make us wonder what they had against us, especially since at that point I was still the only one of our group who had made it to actually play the game. However, I had also been forced to decline once and my seat was number 1 at the end of another show, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Anyway, we finally got to the last show of the day and after a contestant missed I had to decline for the second time. Unlike the previous time though, this time the person who benefitted from my pass was our friend Tim! He had all 3 lifelines going into his 32,000 point question, but unfortunately was forced to use all 3 on it before missing.

(End Part 2)

#3 User is offline   rob_wilson 

Posted 09 June 2005 - 05:48 AM

It was now Sunday, and our friends Tim and Erika had left. Despite our daughter's growing dislike of the show, we continued to go to as many shows as possible hoping that one of the kids or Debbie would have their chance to play. We endured the same spiel about how to play, not to shout out answers, how the youngest person to play was only 2 years old, how the youngest person to win the cruise was 9 years old, and how only the person in the winning seat could play, but none of them made the Hot Seat.

Since Hayley was super frustrated by now, we promised not to come back on Monday. Instead, we did only things she wanted to do which included going to Animal Kingdom for awhile, swimming at the hotel pool, going to EPCOT, and finally playing miniature golf. As the evening progressed, I began to develop a pain that ran from my lower back down to the back of my right knee. By the time we returned that evening to the hotel room, it was all I could do to walk across the room. Then things got worse because I tripped over our son's foot and twisted my leg. I thought that I was okay until I took another step and went down hard when I discovered that my leg would no longer support my weight. I waited for a moment before trying again and went right back down. I ended up taking pain medication and dragged myself into bed for the night.

The entire night I tossed and turned. The pain allowed for very little sleep and I was certain that I would not be going to any parks on Tuesday. I even feared that I would not be well enough to carry bags through the airport on Wednesday. However, by morning the pain had subsided considerably and once I took a warm shower I felt fine. We decided to venture out and returned to Disney-MGM Studios for more attempts.

I believe it was the second show we attended where Donny managed to punch in a random sequence quickly and got his first solo attempt at the Hot Seat. He was grinning from ear to ear the entire time he played. The host, Cheryl Foster, seemed to really like him and tried to help him out on a couple of the questions. He eventually missed at 4,000 on a question about which cosmetics company has commercials with the tagline "Easy breezy beautiful". He knew mom sometimes bought stuff from Avon, so he took that as his answer instead of the correct answer of Covergirl. He had used both his ATA and 50:50 by this point, but left the PACS lifeline on the table.

(End Part 3)

#4 User is offline   rob_wilson 

Posted 09 June 2005 - 05:51 AM

After another unsuccessful attempt at getting Debbie into the Hot Seat, we left to check out the new stunt show. We discovered that not only was Don Limpkin now with the stunt show but also Olja Campbell (I think that is her name). It was a cute show, but in the heat of the day, even with cover over the bleachers, we weren't doing too well afterwards. After it was over, we raced back to the show and barely made it in before they shut the doors.

Again things didn't go well, and now Hayley was absolutely fit to be tied. She wanted to do ANYTHING but Millionaire again. However, we insisted that we do it once more to help cool us off more and then we would move onto something else. Debbie was also not doing well at this point. She was frustrated by not getting in the Hot Seat and she was also suffering a bit from the heat. However, we went on in to what would turn out to be one of the most unusual shows ever.

After we had gotten seated, someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned to find a woman who I did not know. She began the conversation by simply saying "What's your secret?". I said, "Excuse me?". She then mentioned that she had seen Donny in the Hot Seat earlier and that she had also seen me turn it down once. She wanted to know how we were able to get on the leaderboard so frequently. I explained a bit the technique and also mentioned that I had won the cruise in 2004. By this time, her whole family was talking to us. We chatted a bit more until the show started with a fastest finger question that was won by a 12 year old boy.

The boy's first (and only) question was "According to the expression, if 'to err is human' then what 'is divine'?". The host (the same one that had been my host on Saturday) tried to help the boy, but he blurted out Bette Midler, Final Answer before the host could stop him. The host gave the boy the bad news, then told him to look at the audience of 600+ people and take pride in the fact that he had beaten all of them into the Hot Seat.

They then showed the leaderboard and to our absolute astonishment, Hayley's seat number was on top! She got up and headed for the stairs calling to me the entire way to go with her. I told her to go on down, but the person working that section of the audience stopped her and said that it was my seat number and I was the only one that could go (which of course was not an option). I showed her that my seat number was 166 and that her seat number was 167 and that it was 167 on the leaderboard. She then apologized and Hayley continued to the Hot Seat.

When she got seated, Jim (the host) asked her name and age. She replied 8 and a half (which she's actually more like 8 and almost 11/12th). Anyway, Jim then told her that since she was only 8 and a half one of her parents could come down. He asked her not to start a fight, but which parent would she like to assist her. She called for me and down I went.

It wasn't until I approached the Hot Seat that Jim realized who would be helping her. He didn't let on to the audience that I was a former winner, but did explain to Hayley that I could help as much as she wanted, but she had to be the one to say the answer and Final Answer. Off we went.

100 - In the film "Peter Pan", what does Peter Pan use in order to fly?

Hayley didn't even look at me but quickly gave Pixie Dust as her final answer.

200 - The color Emerald is a shade of what color?

Hayley turned to me and said "red, right?". I told her that it was green and it is my birthstone. Had I thought about it, I would have mentioned the Emerald City of Oz and then she would have come up with green by herself.

300 - A party were guests wear sleep wear and often stay overnight is called what?

Again Hayley turned to me and I helped explain the question so she would know that Pajama Party was the answer (though I thought Slumber Party until that wasn't a choice).

500 - Verizon provides which of these types of service?

She looked at me and I made the phone symbol with my hand.

1000 - What magazine describes itself as the leading magazine for science and technology (or something like that)?

Easy enough to bypass Sports Illustrated and Modern Maturity to get to the correct answer of Popular Science and Hayley wins a baseball cap and 5 pins!

Interestingly enough, it was at about this time that the host asked Hayley what had been her favorite thing to do at the parks and she responded sitting in the Hot Seat. Yes, this was the same girl who had practically refused to comje inside a few minutes before.

2000 - What does the C stand for in MC?

With an assist from dad, she makes Ceremonies her final answer.

4000 - What credit card company has used the slogan "Don't Leave Home Without It"?

A. Visa
B. American Express
C. Master Card
D. Discover

EZ enough

8000 - A humidor is used to store what?

Don't recall the choices, but I recall telling Hayley that I have never smoked but know that the correct answer is cigars. The host accepted the answer and also helped instill a smoke-free lifestyle in Hayley.

16000 - Which of these is the study of bodies in motion?
A. Kinesiology
B. Phycology
C. something
D. Mycology

I told Hayley that I was pretty sure it was A but that if she wanted to use a lifeline that was okay too. In other words, had I been sitting there I would have went for it, but I wanted to let her play her own game. She opted to call a stranger. The stranger correctly responded Kinesiology, but only at the last second, so no time to find out how sure he was. Nevertheless, that was good enough for her and she made that her final answer.

32000 - Along with a cello and two violins, what other instrument makes up a string quartet?

A. Bass
B. Harp
C. Viola
D. Guitar

I told Hayley that it was probably Viola, but possibly Bass. She opted to 50-50 and that left Harp and Viola. She quickly decided on Viola and won 10 pins and the Polo shirt!

(To be continued)

#5 User is offline   rob_wilson 

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:13 AM

Sorry. Didn't mean to keep you in suspense this long. I had to leave for work earlier and things have been a bit crazy ever since. Anyway, here is the rest of the story:

Hayley had just won the 32,000 point prizes and was on to her 64,000 point question.

64,000 - Which chemical element has the symbol "Hg"?
A. Potassium
B. Lead
C. Copper
D. Mercury

Ridiculously easy for 64K. I knew immediately it was Mercury (before seeing the choices), but just to be certain I abbreviated each element in my head to K, Pb, Cu, and Hg while the host read them.

125,000 - How many books are there in the P...(something) Bible?

A. 51
B. 58
C. 66
D. 72

Religion again! Well, 66 sounded right to me, but couldn't be sure. Told Hayley she may want to use her last lifeline and either 42 or 46 percent of the audience gave 66 as their answer. Hayley had now done as well as I had on Saturday!

250,000 - Which of these films was the last one Marilyn Monroe worked on and was unable to complete?

A. Something's Got To Give
B. Harlow
C. Teacher's Pet
D. something else

I don't know why, but I was nearly certain it was A. I must have read it somewhere and it lodged in my brain someplace. I told Hayley that I thought it was A, but if she wanted to quit so she wouldn't lose any pins that would be up to her. She gave A as her final answer and it was right! She had now done better than I did.

500,000 - Which of these hurricane names was retired by the National Weather Service?

A. Debby
B. Dora
C. D-something
D. Dean

The first thought that entered my head was that maybe Debbie should have come down to help instead of me. She loves the Weather Channel and any type of storm stuff. I told Hayley that up to now I've felt pretty confident about my answers, but I was starting to get deeper into guessing territory. For some reason, Dora was jumping out at me. I gave her that as my answer and she ran with it. The host looked at Hayley a bit sad

and then told her she was correct!

He now reminded the audience that if she got the next question correct she would win the cruise. Not only that, but she would also become the youngest contestant to win the cruise (no pressure there, right?). Hayley looked up at me and said "Dad, if we win, you can have the jacket". She knew that I hadn't really worn the one I won last year because I wanted to keep it nice and knew it wouldn't stay nice if I wore it much. On to one million...

1,000,000 - An "immelmann manuever" can best be described as which of the following?

A. something
B. something
C. Chess move
D. Aerial acrobatics

The host reminded Hayley she could always walk, but she shook her head "no" very definitely when he mentioned it.

I have no recollection of the first two choices. All I know is that I felt strongly it would have to be one of these two. One thing that struck me as odd is that the name was not capitalized. It sounded as though this was named after someone, but yet it wasn't capitalized. Anyway, thinking that it was named for someone, I eventually decided that I favored D over C since I couldn't think of any famous chess players named Immelmann. My hands were shaking at this point and Hayley noticed. I said that I'm more nervous than she was, but I would go with D if it were me. She did.

And she became the first 8 year old million point winner and the 107th winner at WDW!!!!!!!

Donny made his way down the stairs and I grabbed and hugged him. Debbie was still in the stands being hugged by the family who we had met at the beginning of the show. She then came down and joined our celebration. We were then taken to the prize room before returning to the stage for photos with the host. From what I understand, this was this host's first million point win as well.

#6 User is offline   PixieDust 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, music, reading, fun stuff. ;-)

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:35 AM

Awesome. Congrats Rob! I'm Soooo jealous!
Jeanne
Engaged July 17th, 2008 @ Sunset Point
3/3/09 - Sunset Point Wedding
AIM: PixieSBPassion

MySpace

Glenn is my hero!!

#7 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 09 June 2005 - 12:20 PM

Wow, awesome TR Rob. Congrats to your daughter!

#8 User is offline   rob_wilson 

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:51 PM

Still busy catching up with stuff at home and work, but thought I'd add a few more details of our trip.

We headed down on Tuesday, May 31st. Things didn't start out too well, mostly due to some strange things that went on with our son. For starters, when we arrived at the local airport and began checking our bags, we were delayed briefly because apparently his name turned up on a terrorist watch list.

Once they decided that we weren't harboring an 11 year old Bin Laden, things moved forward more normally. The next odd thing that happened was on the flight down. While eating a snack that wasn't even particularly hard or chewy, our son lost a tooth. It apparently was ready to come out and we just hadn't realized it because he didn't even bleed.

After we arrived in Orlando, we grabbed a bite to eat, picked up our bags and rental car, and headed toward Walt Disney World. We first stopped at a grocery store at Crossroads (Goodings?) in order to pick up a few food items to keep in the room. Then we headed to the Caribbean Beach Resort in order to check in. The line was horribly long, and I was beginning to worry that we wouldn't even get through it before we had to head toward the Polynesian's Luau, but we did.

Upon arriving at the room, which was in the Martinique building, we discovered that we had a refrigerator. Had we known this earlier, we probably would have selected items differently at the grocery. We made a few calls to let family know we had arrived safely and then got freshened up a bit for the dinner show.

As I mentioned in my original post, the dinner show went on as scheduled this time as opposed to last year when we got rained out. It was a good show. For some reason, I was thinking that Lilo & Stitch would be making an appearance, but that was not the case. However, the song "Hawaiian Roller Coaster" was performed. The performers were very good. The best parts of the show were when one of the guys was juggling fire and when the girls were in their little hula outfits (hey, I'm a guy!).

After the show was over, we headed back to our room and bummed around awhile before going to bed at a reasonable hour so that we could get an early start to head to EPCOT in the morning.

I'll add more as time permits over the next several days.

Rob

#9 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:55 AM

Nice little tidbits there Rob :D

#10 User is offline   Tinkerbell2004 

• Studios God
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:DISNEY

Posted 12 June 2005 - 04:29 PM

congrats to your daughter rob! sorry i didn;t get a chance to meet up with you

#11 User is offline   kazaar13 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Woman, Computers, RPG's, Movies, Disney

Posted 12 June 2005 - 10:19 PM

Congrats! After reading your posts, I would have to guess on almost all the questions. lol

So what type of cruise is it? I assume one on a disnet cruise line.

#12 User is offline   rob_wilson 

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:27 AM

kazaar13 said:

Congrats! After reading your posts, I would have to guess on almost all the questions. lol

So what type of cruise is it? I assume one on a disnet cruise line.

It is a 3 night cruise, leaving on a Thursday night around 5 pm and returning early Sunday morning. The prize also includes the airfare and virtuallly everything else. Even the gratuities are included, though the last time we did this we tipped anyway. The only things not included are the add-on costs such as telephone charges, souvenirs, laundry, Palo's surcharge, etc.

Rob

#13 User is offline   PixieDust 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, music, reading, fun stuff. ;-)

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:53 AM

I'm so jealous. I definately need to get back on a disney cruise, but that will come someday... congrats again adn im glad you had a great time. hopefully next time you go, we'll get to meet up. :-)
Jeanne
Engaged July 17th, 2008 @ Sunset Point
3/3/09 - Sunset Point Wedding
AIM: PixieSBPassion

MySpace

Glenn is my hero!!

#14 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:59 AM

kazaar13 said:

Same here :) Once you get beyond the 32000 point plateu it's a real crapshoot when it comes to me.

#15 User is offline   Micah 

• Studios God

Posted 13 June 2005 - 01:13 PM

Awesome trip report! :)

#16 User is offline   Rock'n'rollergirl 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Aerosmith, Rock'n'Roller Coaster, films

Posted 13 June 2005 - 01:19 PM

Wow! sounds like you had a great time!!
\\\"There is a place where castle spires gleam in the night sky,
Where fantasy is real and wishes come true,
Where every day ends happily ever after.
There is a place where magic lives.\\\"

#17 User is offline   kazaar13 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Woman, Computers, RPG's, Movies, Disney

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:53 PM

Nice trip report and the cruise sounds like it woudl be worth winning! I'll try my best in September.

#18 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:19 PM

kazaar13 said:

Nice trip report and the cruise sounds like it woudl be worth winning! I'll try my best in September.
Be careful...you may end up getting hooked on WWTBAM :cry:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users