Studios Central: My Trip Report (First time to MGM) - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Trip Report (First time to MGM)

#1 Guest__*

• Group: Guests

Posted 07 October 2002 - 08:00 AM

The participants: Me [28], friends & co-workers Nicole [29] and Rachel [31].

I was driving and we left Gainesville around 6:45 am. A fairly uneventful drive down other than the loser who almost killed us swerving across three lanes and into the left shoulder then back to the right lane on I-75. I think he fell asleep.

Got to WDW about 8:15, and proceeded to drive into the service entrance of MGM. The security guy behind me must have been wondering what I was up to. Eventually made it into the correct entrance, paid, and parked.

While my companions were buying their tickets, I went to Guest Relations (I have a seasonal pass) to get our vouchers for our Fantasmic dinner package. By the time everything was taken care of it was about 8:45 so we got in line to get in the park.

I announced that I wanted to do RnRC first thing so I wouldn't have to worry about it all day. Nicole took some Dramamine so she said she wanted to wait an hour for it to kick in.

Once we got in we headed for RnRC to get FastPasses then we went on the Great Movie Ride. I was surprised that we actually had to wait about 20 minutes for that first thing in the morning. We went back to RnRC after that, but they didn't even have the FastPass entry queue open because the stand by queue was only 5 minutes. So on we went!

I was starting to hyperventilate a bit in the pre-show area and I made sure to know the location of the chicken exit, but before I knew it I was saying "3" and getting in the car. I insisted that one of them sit next to me to hold my hand. We're sitting in the pre-launch area and I'm really starting to hyperventilate. At this point, I want to get out but I know it's too late then off we go!
:arrow:

#2 User is offline   Tish 

• Studios Newbie
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 October 2002 - 08:10 AM

Sorry, I didn't realize I wasn't logged in.

Anyway, to continue.....

I honestly cannot say anything about RnRC because my eyes were closed the entire time. Actually I did open them for a split second twice. When I finally got out, I was shaking like a leaf, and continued to shake for about 20 minutes. We saw our picture on the screen and Nicole and I said we had to have one because our expressions are so great. Rachel objected because she wanted no evidence. (By the way, I scanned and printed a copy which is now posted on the bulletin board at work.)

For the next ride, we decided to do something a little less exciting, so we did the backlot tour. By the time we were done with that we wanted lunch and decided to go to Toy Story Pizza Planet. My great sense of direction took us the wrong way and as we were walking by Millionaire it was 5 minutes to the next show so we headed in.

Three smart gals like us (we all have advanced degrees) and only one (Rachel) cracked the top 10 and that was at #10!

Now we're really starving so we head for Pizza Planet. The pizza was surprisingly good. Since we're right there we next head for Muppet Vision. While I'm not the world's biggest Muppets fan, I have to say that's the best 3D movie on property.

After that it's on to Star Tours, and let me tell you, my bra got a real workout. Then we went to Indiana Jones.

By now we're all super thirsty so we got frozen raspberry lemonades. Those things are good! Then we went to Beauty & the Beast. I was particularly interested to see this because I have tickets for the real thing in Vegas next month. I hope that one is better!

Since we're so close to ToT, I say that we might as well get it over with, so after a pit stop we're in line. I went through the whole pre-show and waited in line for about 10 minutes. Got all the way up to the load area, we would be the next group, and CHICKENED OUT!

Yes I chickened out of the Tower of Terror. I am prepared for your barbs & insults, so give me what you got. :arrow:

#3 User is offline   Tish 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 07 October 2002 - 08:16 AM

Actually, in the on ride photo, Nicole looked like she was NOT enjoying herself, and she's not particularly afraid of heights, so I'm glad I didn't do it.

Anyway, it's like 4:30 now, and the parade is starting but we decided to hit the Little Mermaid before dinner (PS at 5:20) but they're not starting until after the parade at 5:00, so we head for One Man's Dream. Got out of that right at 5:20 so we proceeded directly to Hollywood & Vine.

I must say, the food there is pretty good, and we chatted and dawdled over dinner, so we didn't get out of there until 7:00. We wanted to go back and see the Little Mermaid, but they stop showing it at 6:30 (or maybe 5:30?). Anyway, we just decided to head for Fantasmic.

First time seeing Fantasmic in Fla (saw it in Cal years ago) and it was pretty impressive. After that we headed home, singing along with the Beauty and the Beast special edition soundtrack in the CD player! Fortunately, I'm not the only grown woman in the car that knows all the words, and Rachel is crooning along next to me.

So, a good time was had by all! :D

#4 User is offline   Robfasto 

• Studios Regular

Posted 07 October 2002 - 11:09 AM

Sounds like a great trip...

#5 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 07 October 2002 - 12:17 PM

Tish,

Sorry to hear about your experience on RnR....was it too jerky for you? Or did the entire idea of going really fast spoil it? It's really too bad the best two attractions at MGM are the two you'd rather die than go on. :lol:

After that it's on to Star Tours, and let me tell you, my bra got a real workout.

That could be the best description of Star Tours by a female ever :wink:

Now we're really starving so we head for Pizza Planet. The pizza was surprisingly good.

Had you read the review we had of Pizza Planet, you would have known how good it was beforehand :lol: Glad you liked it!

Three smart gals like us (we all have advanced degrees) and only one (Rachel) cracked the top 10 and that was at #10!

Don't feel bad, I didn't even get into the top 10 and I tried cheating, yelling out wrong answers to the people around me, anything! :D

Glad you had a good time, and post some pictures!

#6 User is offline   Tish 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 08 October 2002 - 10:59 AM

QuickGold said:

Sorry to hear about your experience on RnR....was it too jerky for you? Or did the entire idea of going really fast spoil it? It's really too bad the best two attractions at MGM are the two you'd rather die than go on. :)

It was not jerky at all. And it wasn't really the speed...it was the upside down part that freaked me out the most. I've never been on a coaster with inversions before. In fact, Space Mountain is the wildest coaster I've ever done.

I had said that I insisted that someone sit next to me to hold my hand, well I never let go of the harness because I didn't want to fall out! I was pulling down on that thing the whole time!!

In fact, I didn't even scream because I was barely breathing. And I didn't even notice the music. I had to ask my friends which song it was because as far as I was concerned, the music wasn't even playing.

And I never said I would rather die than go on it again. It wasn't THAT bad, but I'm sure it would take several more rides before I'd keep my eyes open.

Now, ToT is another story. I read that story you posted and I could not believe that woman went on it 7 times! That's just plain sick if you ask me. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to ride that one.

QuickGold said:

Glad you had a good time, and post some pictures!
Maybe..... :P

#7 User is offline   Tish 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 08 October 2002 - 11:09 AM

QuickGold said:

Had you read the review we had of Pizza Planet, you would have known how good it was beforehand :P Glad you liked it!

Yeah, I guess I could have done that. We did read your reviews of the table service restaurants, and that's why we settled on H&V.

My only beef with TSPP: I want a little 3-eyed alien dude! I wanted to try to get one from the claw, but they only had these generic alien things in there. I love those guys and I want one to hang from my rear view mirror, like in the movie. As much Toy Story stuff as they sell in the parks, I've yet to see a stuffed alien guy. I have a pin, but I want a plush!!!!! :)

"Use the wand of power....."

#8 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 08 October 2002 - 06:32 PM

Don't they sell the 3 eyed aliens at toy stores? I'd check your local Disney store in your mall and ask if you don't see them because I'm pretty sure I've seen them before.

#9 User is offline   Tish 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 08 October 2002 - 07:18 PM

QuickGold said:

Don't they sell the 3 eyed aliens at toy stores? I'd check your local Disney store in your mall and ask if you don't see them because I'm pretty sure I've seen them before.

I have looked at the Disney Store in the mall and I've asked at the Toy Story carts at MK & MGM. Guess they don't have them anymore. :)

#10 User is offline   Tish 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 08 October 2002 - 09:09 PM

Here's a pic for ya.....

Posted Image

I'm the one that looks like I'm getting an enema :wink:

#11 User is offline   Irishwrench 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 07 January 2003 - 07:27 PM

How where the seats for Fantasmic with the dinner vouchers? I just reserved mine over the phone and we are eating at the Hollywood & Vine.

#12 User is offline   wishingtree 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Interests:Disney, music and sports(especially hockey)

Posted 07 January 2003 - 08:23 PM

There is a reserved section at the right side of the theater. You should still get there early. You are given a coupon at your dinner and you enter by the gas station near the entrance to the park. The night that I went there did not seem to be that many people that did the dinner package as the area did not fill up that fast.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users