• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Travel by train

#1 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:07 PM

If there ever comes a time when I plan to return to Walt Disney World on my own, I will not be flying to Orlando. I am fed up with the way airfare prices increase without stopping, charge you for every infinitesimal element of the airline experience, going through the ridiculous and inefficient security dance while in my socks still... it's all just a pain in the neck, and I refuse to take part of the flying process.

Having gone off on that tangent, I feel I should rely on Amtrak for my direct route to Orlando. Has anyone tried this? What's your experience? How much would it cost me going from New York to Orlando, and how long will the trip be? I haven't decided, but I might make a spring trip for my first week of vacation, and then again with riding back with my sister. Or, since I'm currently in a love-hate relationship with Disney right now, should I just stick with the latter plan of going to FL and riding back with my sister?
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#2 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:33 PM

COH#1fan said:

Having gone off on that tangent, I feel I should rely on Amtrak for my direct route to Orlando.

I have been curious about Amtrak too. This past vacation airfare was way to high. I am still hopeful that the good deals will be back.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#3 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:47 AM

I don't care about the deals much (because I know they're not coming back). I'm more angry over the security issue where they put improbable guidelines before you and make you take your shoes off AGAINST YOUR WILL I might add before going through the detector.

Seriously, do you know what kind of microscopic germs crawl along those airport floors? Never mind that socks are supposed to protect your feet from such dirt, those germs could seep in between the sock fibers and through your skin and give you some kind of airport poisoning. I'm sorry, but I just feel very uncomfortable taking my shoes off in an enclosed public place.
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#4 User is offline   Howie 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Interests:Family, WDW

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:04 AM

we live on long island and have taken the amtrak auto train about 4 times; you drive to lorton virginia which is 4 hours away and load the car on the train; then you have the option of a seat all the way to a sleeper car with a bathroom and shower in the car; we always chose the latter; the train departs virginia around 3-4 PM and arrives in sanford, about a 40 minute drive to wdw, around 8:30 AM; with a bit of pixie dust, your car comes off within 10 minutes and after precheckin at your resort, youll be in the barber chair at the harmony before noon :D ;

#5 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:53 AM

Not sure about the regular train, but the AutoTrain can cost as much, if not more than, airfare. The key to keep in mind with any train option is time. You will spend probably in the ballpark of 24 hours on a train. I know airfare is expensive, but you do get to fly down in 2-3 hours. So you have to ask yourself how much is your time worth.

#6 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:22 PM

So I checked the fare on Amtrak, and it seems that the cheapest I can go is during June, departing in the AM and traveling an average of 20-21 hours. Pretty much the same time it would take to drive all the way down I-95. Only problem is there are no trains that leave in the evening from Penn Station, and I don't know if there is any way to get from there to the Disney hotels.

I'm still not flying. Not until the airlines get back in shape and start lowering their prices and fix their security agenda including that nonsense with the shoes! :D :jedi:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users