• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do your kids love at DHS?

#1 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:02 AM

What attractions/activities/things do your kids love to do at DHS? Please include ages if appropriate :(

#2 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:25 PM

Is this inspired by Monday's WDW Today episode?

#3 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney World, Harry Potter, Star Wars and my family

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:44 PM

I have a feeling it is...
My son, he's 12 in order from favorite to least favorite: Lights, Motor Action, Rock n Roller Coaster, American Idol Experience,Citizens of Hollywood, Great Movie Ride, Star Tours, Toy Story Mania, Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular.
My daughter, she's 8: Rock n Roller Coaster, Toy Story Mania, Citizens of Hollywood, American Idol Experience, Honey I shrunk the Kids Playground, Star Tours, Great Movie ride.
A note they both like to do the Animation Academy from time to time, they are not big on parades, so they'll do BPB once in a while. At this point they really don't care much about the characters, just if they are new ones.
Por favor mantenganse alejados de las puertas

#4 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:26 PM

Can't say I have kids of my own, but as a kid I really loved Muppets and Star Tours

#5 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

for my 7 and 4 year old its certainly not Tower of Terror. They like Toy Story Mania and Star Tours. For my 7 year old son, its the Jedi Training Academy. For my daughter, its probably still Playhouse Disney

Maybe the best thing for both is the character greeting opportunities. Sorcerer Mickey is a hit. We were there late one night (a non Fantasmic night so the joint was dead) and we ran into Mickey & Sulley by ourselves. The kids had a blast
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#6 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God
  • Interests:My Children and Family, Disney, Games, UFC

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:31 PM

4 and two year old...

Toy Story Mania - both
Playhouse Disney - Both
Star Tours - Son

They also both loved the character breakfast at Vine...

#7 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:43 AM

9 yr old son loves Star Tours, Indy, Toy Story Mania, Muppets, iffy about R&RC and would probably love ToT if he would ride it. The 2 of us had fun in the Animation drawing Stitch. Of course, his favorite thing though is Tatooine Traders :lol:

Almost 5yr old daughter, loves all the Princess shows, Little Mermaid, Beauty & the beast, Toy Story. She's been too short to ride Star Tours & ToT but hopefully the next trip. (She's 39 1/2 inches right now)

They both like GMR and love Sci Fi :wink:

#8 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:51 AM

Assuming the child enjoys characters, then meeting characters are a big deal I think for kids. Some are scared of them and at some age, they "grow out of it" so it's hard for me to ballpark an age for that.

#9 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:54 PM

For my daughter age 8 -
- Muppets - She seems to connect with them very well.
- She still likes to meet the characters, any of them.
- When we agree our Daughter is going to get her hair wrapped she always wants to have it done at the hair wrap station at Muppet Square.
- She loved Lights, Motors, Action
- Pin trade with Cast Members
- Interacting with COH characters

#10 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:05 AM

The issue I think is that on the show the caller said that his kids didn't find any RIDES that suited them... not the catch-all of "attractions".

Everything Matt and Scopa brought up (Except Star Tours) was a show, not a ride. I think the caller was disappointed with the amount of kid-friendly rides at the Studios.

And I agree. The Great Movie Ride's most recent show scene is from Raiders... a movie 28 years old. Before Toy Story Mania opened... if you had a young kid that was too little for RnR, ToT, or Star Tours... what RIDES were there for kids? GMR and Backstage Studio Tour.

Very underwhelming offering, IMO. Even the much-maligned Animal Kingdom (by the WDW Today Crew) has FAR FAR more rides to offer to young kids than the Studios.

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#11 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:01 PM

It's interesting to me that many of DHS kid friendly options listed here are not ride based. Two of the shows are princess based, which may not appeal to little boys, and they may simply not have the patience to sit down and watch Indy, JTA, LMA, and Fantasmic when showing.

While I like DHS better than MK and DAK, I can see why some famillies feel like it's seriously lacking in kid friendly rides since TSMM is the only one that little ones might recognize.

#12 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:27 PM

I'll be perfectly honest.....MGM has always been a half day for us. I agree that there are not enough kid friendly rides for the younger set. Thankfully, my kids are now getting older and my youngest is finally close to hitting that magical 40" so we can go on more things together.

#13 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:22 PM

Personally, I don't make a distinction between rides and shows....they're all attractions or more to the point...they're "something to do". Nevermind kids for a second, what I like about the Studios is that it has a little of everything....a few rides, a few stage shows, a few live events, a few films, etc. That differs greatly from say the Magic Kingdom, which is ride heavy. So while yes, there may not be that many rides for kids per se, there's plenty else to do and I don't make a division among the attractions.

#14 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:48 PM

QuickGold said:

Personally, I don't make a distinction between rides and shows....they're all attractions or more to the point...they're "something to do". Nevermind kids for a second, what I like about the Studios is that it has a little of everything....a few rides, a few stage shows, a few live events, a few films, etc. That differs greatly from say the Magic Kingdom, which is ride heavy. So while yes, there may not be that many rides for kids per se, there's plenty else to do and I don't make a division among the attractions.

I like what you are saying Matt. I always felt the Studios didn't have enough ride attractions, and the balance was too weighted towards show-type attractions. I even feel this way today; although TSMM has helped a lot. Another ride-based attraction would be a welcomed site. But, I like what you are saying about the Studios having a good mix. Thinking about it that way changes the perspective of the Studios.

#15 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Running, Eating, Laughing, Running, Eating, Laughing

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:22 PM

Our view of faves at DHS has changed as our kids have aged. When our youngest was 1ish-4ish, we did a lot of splitting up. I took her to PHD, VoLM, B&B, muppets & character meet-n-greets while my husband took the other kids on the bigger kid rides. I guess I felt like I was "waiting" a lot...thank goodness for streetmosphere.

However, this last trip in Feb/March 2009 things changed greatly. DHS was on the top of the list. As a family, kids and cousins ages 5, 9,10 &14 we enjoyed everything, but I did not have to do PHD, B&B or do time filling actvities. Muppets was hilarious because they understood it on a different level. All the kids enjoyed the shows whether it was Extreme Cars, Indiana Jones, the Little Mermaid or the parade. Toy Story Mania we could not get enough...fun family competition. Our family also enjoyed the Animation Academy and I loved not waiting in long lines for characters.

All in all... we have always enjoyed the studios, but this time we "got it." I felt this time DHS fit the vision of a place where the entire family could enjoy experiences together.

#16 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Running, Eating, Laughing, Running, Eating, Laughing

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:27 PM

Figaro said:

9 yr old son loves Star Tours, Indy, Toy Story Mania, Muppets, iffy about R&RC and would probably love ToT if he would ride it. The 2 of us had fun in the Animation drawing Stitch. Of course, his favorite thing though is Tatooine Traders :lol:

Almost 5yr old daughter, loves all the Princess shows, Little Mermaid, Beauty & the beast, Toy Story. She's been too short to ride Star Tours & ToT but hopefully the next trip. (She's 39 1/2 inches right now)

They both like GMR and love Sci Fi :wink:

Buy flip-flops w/1/2 inch sole...my youngest made it on Soarin as a 3 year old due to her shoes. :scooter:

#17 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:33 PM

My son is now 17
favorite: Citizens of Hollywood
then: RnR, Muppets, Star Tours

as far as people thinking this is a 1/2 day park, then you haven't been following the Citizens of Hollywood. They keep you entertained all day long.

During a 10 day trip, we will spend at leat 5 of those days at DHS.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#18 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:30 PM

MaxiBarns said:

Buy flip-flops w/1/2 inch sole...my youngest made it on Soarin as a 3 year old due to her shoes. :scooter:

Am I being a square when I think that circumventing safety regulations is a bad idea?

I just don't see how ANY ride is worth the risk of my daughter not being properly and safely restrained.

#19 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:47 PM

QuickGold said:

Personally, I don't make a distinction between rides and shows....they're all attractions or more to the point...they're "something to do".

Yes... but, we're both adults. You don't mind waiting for the show to begin... even after waiting in a queue of sorts. A ride, however, promises glimpses of what's to come (like the queue for Peter Pan) or the overall ride itself (like Dumbo), or the queue is so entertainingly themed that there's much to look at while waiting in a line that keeps moving (The Seas with Nemo and Friends). A show is... sitting quietly in a seat, for more than 2 minutes, with nothing particularly different going on. After 3 minutes... it's just boring for the kid... even if it's Finding Nemo: The Musical... unless that little fish is "found" swimming while waiting for the show, it gets pretty dull for a kid waiting. Then the fidgeting, the squirming, then getting out of the seat... then running down the aisles... and THEN they get the glare from non-parents (LOL) that says "Control your child!!!"

QuickGold said:

Nevermind kids for a second, what I like about the Studios is that it has a little of everything....a few rides, a few stage shows, a few live events, a few films, etc. That differs greatly from say the Magic Kingdom, which is ride heavy. So while yes, there may not be that many rides for kids per se, there's plenty else to do and I don't make a division among the attractions.

Magic Kingdom has 36 attractions, 10 of which I'd categorize as shows; or 28% of all attractions.

Hollywood Studios has 19 attractions, 11 of which I'd categorize as shows; or 58% of all attractions.

I know you don't delineate, and that's cool, but when more than half of the attractions are shows... that's a LOT of waiting around for a kid to do. Even if it's 10 minutes per show... that's almost 2 hours of waiting.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Studios... and it has some of my favorite restaurants and attractions, but once my daughter is too old for Playhouse Disney and tires of The Little Mermaid... without some refurbishment of some existing attractions to update them this will quickly become #4 on our Parks list.

#20 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:12 AM

YoPaulie said:

MaxiBarns said:

Am I being a square when I think that circumventing safety regulations is a bad idea?I just don't see how ANY ride is worth the risk of my daughter not being properly and safely restrained.

I think it depends on the ride and the kid. For example, Soarin' has that additional strap you need to add to shorter kids between their legs so it would be pretty much impossible for a kid to fall out and the ride is calm so there's no risk of whiplash or other injuries. Other more turbulent rides might be more questionable. Knowing Disney, that they err on the side of conservative as far as safety so I doubt a kid who is 1/2 an inch short with 1/2 inch flip flops would be a true safety issue.
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users