• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Next refurb?

#21 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:42 PM

Are we talking refurb, as in slight improvements, or an overhaul, cause Star Tours got more of that?

Rumors on refurbs:
LMA will replace Herbie with McQueen and Mater by the end of the month, though this has already been pushed back once.
Animation may go down and come back up minus the "Drawn to Animation" show with Mushsu, as several of the sister versions throughout the Dinsey parks have already done
Disney Junior is said to slowly lose every show featured in it besides Jake and the Neverland Pirates with a new show

Overhauls
The Great Movie Ride needs an overhaul, in that it should stay a trip through classic films, it just need to pick some different, and possibly more recent ones, because, if I'm not mistaken, Raiders of the Lost Ark is the most recent film featured and that one turned 30 years old today.
Dare I say it, Toy Story Mania. I enjoy the ride, I just have never felt that it fit into a movie studio theme. Maybe some changes in the queue or in front of the attraction to emulate more of the Pixar Studios theme that the large sign suggests.
The Backlot Tour could use some modern touches. Working there I know that a lot of the machinery used is quickly growing an expiration date. It needs some big changes or it may be time to shut it down.

Also, Wastes of Space:
Narnia needs to go. Replace it with anything you possibly want, just make Caspian leave.
Sounds Dangerous is probably on it's way out. Seasonal attractions are usually just kept around until there is enough money to put something better in.
And, another dare I say it moment, Beauty and the Beast and Voyage of the Little Mermaid, I feel, have run there course at studios. With broadway versions of these shows that put them to shame, and the large presence these characters are getting in MK's new Fantasyland, I think it's time for something new. Maybe give our newer Princesses there own show, or, preferably, bring Aladdin the Musical from DLR to Studios

Edit: Also More Muppets = Awesome. I say Muppet Mobile Labs should return to Florida at the place it belonged the whole time, Studios!!

#22 User is offline   Blixzit 

• Studios God

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:28 PM

In no particular order...

Streets of America could use something. Maybe an interactive thing a la Kim Possible.

Backlot Tour, Stick with the same idea, but make it sets and "backstage peak" of Disney Channel shows or something.

Little Mermaid. With the new ride coming, I think they should change the show. It's the same story, same scenes, same songs as the new ride. Maybe bring back and updated version of the Soundstage Restaurant. I like the idea of Playhouse Disney. It's a good safe attraction to occupy little ones especially during very hot busy seasons(SWW)at the Studios.

#23 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:51 PM

View PostBlixzit, on 21 June 2011 - 03:28 PM, said:

Maybe bring back and updated version of the Soundstage Restaurant.

Firstly, Welcome back to the forums, Jake.

Secondly, OMG! I forgot all about the Soundstage Restaurant. I had some good character interactions there. The Disney Junior show currently occupying space in there can go jump off a cliff. Seriously. Bring back the Soundstage Restaurant, but with the classic movie characters please, not those baby characters for babies. Heck, you could bring back characters from forgotten movies like Atlantis, Hercules, Hunchback, Treasure Planet, etc. Now THAT would be neat!
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#24 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney World, Harry Potter, Star Wars and my family

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:45 AM

View Postdarthstich, on 13 June 2011 - 09:42 PM, said:

Are we talking refurb, as in slight improvements, or an overhaul, cause Star Tours got more of that?

Rumors on refurbs:
LMA will replace Herbie with McQueen and Mater by the end of the month, though this has already been pushed back once.
Animation may go down and come back up minus the "Drawn to Animation" show with Mushsu, as several of the sister versions throughout the Dinsey parks have already done
Disney Junior is said to slowly lose every show featured in it besides Jake and the Neverland Pirates with a new show

Overhauls
The Great Movie Ride needs an overhaul, in that it should stay a trip through classic films, it just need to pick some different, and possibly more recent ones, because, if I'm not mistaken, Raiders of the Lost Ark is the most recent film featured and that one turned 30 years old today.
Dare I say it, Toy Story Mania. I enjoy the ride, I just have never felt that it fit into a movie studio theme. Maybe some changes in the queue or in front of the attraction to emulate more of the Pixar Studios theme that the large sign suggests.
The Backlot Tour could use some modern touches. Working there I know that a lot of the machinery used is quickly growing an expiration date. It needs some big changes or it may be time to shut it down.

Also, Wastes of Space:
Narnia needs to go. Replace it with anything you possibly want, just make Caspian leave.
Sounds Dangerous is probably on it's way out. Seasonal attractions are usually just kept around until there is enough money to put something better in.
And, another dare I say it moment, Beauty and the Beast and Voyage of the Little Mermaid, I feel, have run there course at studios. With broadway versions of these shows that put them to shame, and the large presence these characters are getting in MK's new Fantasyland, I think it's time for something new. Maybe give our newer Princesses there own show, or, preferably, bring Aladdin the Musical from DLR to Studios

Edit: Also More Muppets = Awesome. I say Muppet Mobile Labs should return to Florida at the place it belonged the whole time, Studios!!

Backlot tour is breaking down every couple of hours, it really needs an update not only on show but on infrastructure, engineers are blaming the break downs on everything from old equipment to squirells and ducks.
My daughter would love it if Alladin the Musical came here, she's watched the show on youtube countless times and enjoys all the jokes, I'm with you on this one, Little Mermaid and B&B are old attractions, I would keep Little Mermaid (who doesn't love going inside on a hot day and get sprayed with water in a cool dark enviroment) but would take out B&B, close the theater (like they did with Festival of the Lion King) and replace it with Aladdin.
Por favor mantenganse alejados de las puertas

#25 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:10 PM

Backlot tour is all but gone at this point. It used to be so interesting. Either bring it back to it's fun days or change it.

Bring back Hunchback. Loved the show. I can't imagine why they let it go and it didn't even take up that much room.

Bring something, anything to Streets of America. It's wasted space. And I hate the thought that the once fabulous COH, now Modern Crew have ended up there.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#26 User is offline   Skippy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

Some things I feel should happen at the Disney-MGM Studios but aren't necessarily rumored (at all):

- The hat needs to come down (just because I've been away from the forums, doesn't mean I've forgotten)

- Disney California Adventure's Aladdin show should replace the Beauty and the Beast show, of course inclosing it and adding AIR CONDITIONING in the process

- Something needs to replace Sounds Dangerous, preferably something that has to do with behind the scenes movie magic (sound was a big part of LOST, maybe they could do something built around that)

- Something needs to go in the old Hunchback theater that is now inclosed with AIR CONDITIONING (a Muppets show or a condensed broadway show like The Lion King or Mary Poppins would match the New York Street theme)

- They need to begin planning American Idol's replacement now so they're ready with something truly excellent and thought out when it's inevitable time comes, we don't want another vacant building

- They need to update The Great Movie Ride (my suggestions: update / restore animatronics to their original mobility, restore the static Footlight Parade scene beyond it's original brilliance so that it actually dazzles the guests, take out the temple of Anubis / generic horror movie mummies and replace them with The Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit with the "one ring" being the new object of desire that gets your driver in trouble, replace Alien with Prometheus if it's surprises everyone and turns out to be a modern classic, update the Fantasia scene to utilize cutting edge special effects and lastly I'd ditch the movie montage ending and go all out with something totally immersive while still playing with the idea of being on a movie set - like they could put in one of those amazingly effective 360 domes that could give the illusion of being on a faux movie set that would break away and show us something similar to the original planned ending).

*To add to The Great Movie Ride, I always felt there should be an exhibit at the end of the attraction where WB and Disney could showcase their incredible efforts in film restoration and explain the importance of film preservation. Here, they could explain what an original negative is and why bad studio practices have left many destroyed, missing or in disrepair. They could explain what a nitrate print is and how dangerous they were. They could show the difference between a 16mm, 35mm and 65mm print and just how those compare to the 1080p resolution of Blu-ray (this would also show the audience just how much "old" films can truly benefit from Blu-ray and it would be a great way to advertise). They could also take this opportunity to introduce park guests to many of the films they just experienced on the attraction (Alien, Casablanca, The Searchers, The Wizard of Oz, and Fantasia are all currently available on Blu-ray, with Singin' in the Rain and Raiders of the Lost Ark coming later this year and Mary Poppins I assume is not too far off).

- The Great Gonzo's Pandemonium Pizza Parlor should finally replace Pizza Planet

- If possible (is it?), The Great Muppet Movie Ride should be built as originally planned (maybe where Honey I Shrunk the Kids is now and possibly even occupying the Sci-fi Cafe and the ABC Commissary if they need more room?)

- Lights Motors Action should be torn down (it's twice the size of Indy, I could fit Star Tours, Muppets 3D, the Muppet store, Mama Melrose's, AND Pizza Planet ALL in the place it occupies, a gargantuan waste of space considering they already have an extremely popular stunt show) and the Backlot Tour should be restored to something ridable again, maybe even adding something new to it like the old Journey to the Center of the Earth concept

- Either they dramatically expand the Backlot Tour walking portion or they add some sort of PIXAR attraction to the vacant building in-between PIXAR Place and The Backlot Tour (I beleive there was a Monsters Inc hanging door roller coaster rumored at one point, as were other PIXAR themed family coasters)

- The vacant Narnia building could also use a new attraction, preferably something behind the scenes movie related

- Lastly, DisneyToon Studios (who is currently making the Tinkerbelle movies and the upcoming Planes movie) should be moved into the vacant animation studio and the animation tour should be restored to it's former glory (even if we aren't particularly excited about DTVs, it would be nice to see actual animation happening, instead of a ghostly reminder)

Thats all I can think of for now but I think doing even half of what I suggested would energize the park. Right now, there is a little too many empty buildings for my tastes.

View Postdarthstich, on 13 June 2011 - 09:42 PM, said:

oh yeah, this. I always felt it clashed with the movie studios theme. They could've easily made it so you entered the PIXAR lobby and headed towards some offices, where some animators would talk briefly about how they make movies and how we're going to be part of their latest one. At this point, we enter the movie through Andrew Gordon's secret room (of course, they wouldn't make us crawl) and it's there we pick up under Andy's bed like it currently is.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users