• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Thanksgiving Contest - Win Free Stuff!

#1 User is offline   gsonoda 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:I am a fan of hilarity.

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:04 AM

Happy Holidays, folks! (Is it too early to say that?)

I just wanted to give you guys a heads up on another Studioscentral contest; this one involving my What in the World column.

Just in time for the Thanksgiving edition of the column, I want to hear what you are thankful for. It can be heartfelt or it can be practical whatever it may be, I want to read it. To enter, please send a few sentences or a paragraph on what you are thankful for about Walt Disney World this Thanksgiving. Emails can be sent (either within the text of the email or in a Word document) to glenn@studioscentral.com (include the subject line: Contest). Entries must be received by 12:00 pm Eastern Time on Sunday (you heard me Colin), November 23rd. I encourage everyone to participate!

I will read all of the entries, and share them in the November 25th edition of the What in the World? column. Each person who emails me will be entered into a drawing with two chances to win a Studioscentral.com t-shirt or a $25.00 Disney gift card (just in time for the holidays).

For the full article go to: http://studioscentra...theworld73.html :P

Good luck :P
Glenn

The reigning Star Wars Trivia Champion - 2008 and 2009

"Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic."

#2 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:32 PM

I heard it was 12:00 Sri Lankan standard time!!! CHAOS I tell you!!!!!!!!
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#3 User is offline   gsonoda 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:15 AM

The Dark Lord of the Sith said:

I heard it was 12:00 Sri Lankan standard time!!! CHAOS I tell you!!!!!!!!

Why Colin, whatever do you mean :twisted:
Glenn

"Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic."

#4 User is offline   gsonoda 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:40 AM

Hey everyone, don't forget that tomorrow, noon Eastern Time is your last chance to enter. We've only received about a handful of entries, so your chance of winning is excellent. So take a few minutes and send me an email about what you're thankful for :mrgreen:

Good luck!
Glenn

#5 User is offline   Blixzit 

• Studios God

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:57 AM

Since I'm sitting outside in quite a breezy breezeway since the lobby doesn't open for another hour... I'm thankful for all the heated areas in and around the parks during the colder months. Seriously... I had to hit the backspace key like a million times because my knees won't stop shivering.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder. I'll be sure to take the time to write and send in an actual entry once the lobby opens and my fingers aren't numb.

#6 User is offline   Blixzit 

• Studios God

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:39 AM

I fail yet again at remembering to do something I was reminded about doing. Oh well...

#7 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:55 PM

See, now I'm afraid to enter these, because everyone else is going to be all "I'm thankful for the remission of my child's leukemia" and mine would be something like "I'm thankful the smoking, grinding-sounding blender at the Coffee Bean and Tea didn't explode while it was blending my mocha."

#8 User is offline   Blixzit 

• Studios God

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:46 AM

Mine would have involved the cast and crew at Finding Nemo the Musical.

#9 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:17 AM

Jeanine said:

See, now I'm afraid to enter these, because everyone else is going to be all "I'm thankful for the remission of my child's leukemia" and mine would be something like "I'm thankful the smoking, grinding-sounding blender at the Coffee Bean and Tea didn't explode while it was blending my mocha."
Since Glenn has no heart to speak of, that wouldn't be an issue in a contest of his :D

#10 User is offline   Blixzit 

• Studios God

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:53 AM

Yesterday morning, I finally sat down and typed up what I wanted to say. I posted it in a note on Facebook. Even though the contest is over, I still would like to share it here.

So I haven't really been able to celebrate any holidays in the true or traditional style for the past few years. When I was younger, it sucked, but now not so much. I understand what it's all about, and just because I can't participate as much as I'd like to, it's no reason to get upset. I've lived with my dad since 1998. He grew up in a very strict religious environment. He was, for all of his childhood, a Jehovah's Witnesses. While I don't want to get into a religious debate/discussion, I do want to point out how my father was not able to really be a kid due to his religious upbringing. Later on he figured out that forcing somebody into a religion really can put a bad taste in that person's mouth for any religion. I'm thankful that he realized this well before he decided to have kids.

However, he never really "got" the holiday thing. I mean, he understands it, but because his parents never celebrated any holiday or birthdays, ever, they aren't really a big deal to him. Not that they should be a big deal to anybody, but they are what they are for a reason. It's a time to just be happy when you get right down to it. It may seem kind of odd that we have to set specific days of the year where we all can try to be as happy as possible together, yet the world is an odd place at times. Thanksgiving, as with most holidays, has an original meaning and purpose that we sometimes lose sight of when there's a big freakin' turkey on the table.

Thankfully (pun completely intended), it is in the name. The day to give thanks. To look back on your life thus far and appreciate all the things, big or small, that truly made your life better. Family, friends, moments, events, and yes even religion all seem to be at the top of the list with most people. Right under those are the small things. After all, it takes a lot of little things to make something big. The little things that we tend to forget about in our day to day lives, but when we look back on it, we really will never forget. In a way, not being able to "go all out" for the holidays is a blessing. I have more time and focus on the little things.

So the whole point of this note is that I want to share what I'm thankful for. Sure there won't be any Thanksgiving dinner tonight other than some microwavable something or other, and I won't be able to visit any family members or anything like that. But I really am happy. I am so lucky to have what I have. And I'm not even talking about materialistic things. I'm talking about the opportunities, and the fairly worry free lifestyle I am able to live everyday. I am an optimist, because it's awesome. While there is more than enough bad in the world, that truly makes the smallest amount of good, that much more potent. Again, the little things. Children, the most innocent and happy and beautiful things on Earth, and I am able to see the wonder and amazement in their eyes quite often.

So I guess if you consider Walt Disney World admission to be materialistic, then yes, I'm thankful something of material value. But material value is not the only value it posses. Not by a long shot. Walt Disney World I consider to be man made Wonder. I am very thankful to be so close to such an amazing place with such amazing people. And to be able to come and go as I please. I don't know of anything that's greater. That place has changed my life and continues to do so, every time I go. Not only do I get to meet other guests and help their trip to be more "magical" with my tips from being a "regular", but I get to meet and befriend some amazing cast members. It takes people to make the magic. People who make it very well. Thank you all for what you do day after day. I know this was a rather long-winded note, but I really am thankful for you guys, and this is the day to give thanks.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users