• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question about AKL

#1 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney World, Harry Potter, Star Wars and my family

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:44 AM

We have never stayed on Disney property primarly because we live 20 min. from the House of Mouse and my husband is not a Disney Freak :)
I have asked for Mothers Day to stay at the AKL in a Savannah view room for at least one night and my hubby has caved in after years and years of asking. My question is this:
If we are checking in on a Saturday, can we go to AKL in the morning, around 10ish and use the facilities while we wait for check in. And in the same line of thinking, can we stay after check out at the resort?
And does anyone know of a website where the programmed activities are listed, as to not miss something the kids and I can enjoy?
I feel like I'm a Disney veteran but when it comes to the resorts I'm clueless.
Thanks in Advance
Por favor mantenganse alejados de las puertas

#2 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:36 AM

Hi Yulady
You can check-in early; however, your room may not be ready until later in the day. You can give the front desk Cast Member your cell phone number and Disney will call you when your room is ready. You can take advantage of the resorts amenities the day you check-in and the day your check-out.

I find this unofficial fan site about AKV to be pretty good for information about the resort.
http://www.aklresort.com/

You are going to love AKV. Our family loves hanging out at the pool, using the night vision goggles to view the animals, and sitting outside by the firepit with the African storytellers in the early evening.

#3 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:51 AM

Thank you for the info and the website...Ever since it opened I have wanted to go there, I love animals and all things cultural. We went there the other day just to walk around and it's so beautiful. Is it true that the pools stay open all night long? The kids love to go swimming at night. And do they provide you with the night vision goggles? We are bringing our binoculars to look at the animals from the room.
Any other tips that you can think of just let me know.

#4 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:07 AM

They do provide you with nightvision goggles. Check with the front desk what time it starts, but I believe 9pm sounds about right.

Be sure to eat at Jiko or Boma, they are wonderful restaurants. I believe the pools are open until at least midnight, though the lifeguards may not be there the entire time. The pools are heated, so you can always go in even if it's cold out.

Don't forget you can get EMH for both days you are there (day you arrive, day you check out).

#5 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Running, Eating, Laughing, Running, Eating, Laughing

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:23 PM

You have picked a fab resort. This is hands down my families favorite. The pool is open late, however the guards leave at 9pm(?), so this also means the slide is closed too. My family didn't care, we swam until 11pm w/the pool all to ourselves. As ADP & Matt have said be sure to take advantage of the activities, I love the fire pit, so relaxing. The food, oh, the food...Boma & Jiko are too delicious & the Mara (counter service) has greatly improved. The Mara has a chix pita sandwich...yum! The pizza (flatbreads) at Mara, I think, is some of the best on property(I realize the bar is not high.) My kids will only eat pizza at The Mara. If you can, the Victoria Falls Bar is a beautiful place to sit and relax.

Oh, something I was told by a Disney CM at AKL: "Book a Standard View room, Disney will generally upgrade you to a Savannah View room." I am not sure if this is worth the risk, especially if you want to be on the main Savannah, so far, it has held true for my family.
Enjoy your mother's day...I think my family will just take me to brunch ;)

Kristen

#6 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:04 PM

View PostMaxiBarns, on Mar 30 2010, 04:23 PM, said:

Oh, something I was told by a Disney CM at AKL: "Book a Standard View room, Disney will generally upgrade you to a Savannah View room."

I wouldn't use that as a strategy for getting a Savannah view room. If you book a Standard view, assume you'll get a standard view. Of course, the whole point of AKL in my opinion is to have a Savannah view room

#7 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:42 PM

thank you all for your responses. We will book the savannah view just to make sure, and the kids love to swim so I know they'll swim till someone tells them to come out. I'm sure we'll eat at Mara not so sure if we'll go to Boma or Jiko it's a little on the high price end, maybe we will do the breakfast buffet.
Thanks again, any specific rooms or savannah views that I should request? I read that all the savannahs have giraffes (thats my favorite animal) is there a better floor to be on?

#8 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:37 AM

View Postyulilin, on Mar 30 2010, 07:42 PM, said:

thank you all for your responses. We will book the savannah view just to make sure, and the kids love to swim so I know they'll swim till someone tells them to come out. I'm sure we'll eat at Mara not so sure if we'll go to Boma or Jiko it's a little on the high price end, maybe we will do the breakfast buffet.
Thanks again, any specific rooms or savannah views that I should request? I read that all the savannahs have giraffes (thats my favorite animal) is there a better floor to be on?

Most of the savannas are very nice. The floor does make a difference though. You don't want to be too high up. The lobby is on the 3rd floor. I'd request a room on the 4th floor for optimal viewing.

#9 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:37 PM

Thanks!! I will request 4th floor and I got my ressie for Boma's breakfast on Mother's Day. I can't wait!!

#10 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:10 AM

You'll LOVE the experience. Was there w/ savanna view room for several days in Jan and it was sooooooooo relaxing just sitting on the room balcony watching the animals. We had a 2 BR w/ full kitchen & spent more time than usual in the room enjoying the view while eating a home made brunch each day. Hopefully, in 2011, we'll be able to book a MK view 2 BR at BLT. Even though our home resort is OKW, it's fun to stay in a different environment once in a while - especially if the have something special like the animals at AKL or fireworks at BLT.
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#11 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:43 AM

Thanks Debbie for your report. I always feel rushed during the safari at AK, shifting in my seat to see all the animals, I hope 'll be able to just sit down and see them grazing and walking around for a while. I already made the request for a 4th floor, on the Arusha savannah, zebra trail.
Debbie on the other hand, will you accept visitors at Bay Lake Towers :)

#12 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:52 AM

Its good you made a request on your reservation. 2-3 days before you are to check in, call the resort and make the same request again.

#13 User is offline   sarahzy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:10 PM

We loved AKL when we stayed there in December. Definitely look at the activities each day. We did the cultural story telling, night vision goggles, and wine tasting. All of them were great experiences. We also did Boma twice - once for breakfast and once for dinner and LOVED it both times! Enjoy your trip!

#14 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:16 AM

Thank you again for all of your info. Just did the online check-in. Hope it doesn't affect my request, anyways I'll call the Resort on Monday to make sure.

#15 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Running, Eating, Laughing, Running, Eating, Laughing

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:10 PM

View Postyulilin, on Apr 28 2010, 10:16 AM, said:

Thank you again for all of your info. Just did the online check-in. Hope it doesn't affect my request, anyways I'll call the Resort on Monday to make sure.

Have fun!!! My family will live vicariously through you, so be sure to post how it went :salut:

#16 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:56 PM

Just got back and we had an AWESOME time. I'll try not to bore you with all the details: Checked in at 1pm and they had everything ready for us, 4th floor, Arusha Savannah, Kudu Trail, the rm was read so we went. The room was beautiful, we took time looking at all the african touches. Loved the "mouse" made from towels inside the bathroom, very cute. The view was great, we saw an Eland and a giraffe as soon as we stepped out.So we started touring the Lodge. I need at least a week to see all the African Art on display it's just overwhelming. Trying to get pics and vids of everything. The kids did all the bead activities and I just appreciate how they incorporate teaching about conservation and animals thru fun games. The pool was great not crowded at all. We ate that evening at The Mara and I had the African Stew on the bread bowl, I loved this, it's so filling and not at all expensive.We went back to the rm and we had zebras and bonteboks trotting around right in front of us. We did the night vision and saw giraffes and enkole cattle. I woke up early today (6:30am) just to get the sunrise and it did not dissapoint, I even heard some animals calling and the crickets and other savannah noises just transported me. Had bkfast at Boma, yummy, yum. They gave all the moms flowers . Checked out and went to Kidani's pool. They had the pool party and Disney trivia game and guess who won :) we also went to the community hall and played pool, foosball, mankala, wii.
I am in love with this resort, everyone was so friendly, the young people from South Africa and Botswana were great with the kids. In all they did: savannah habitat, music of the savannah, guess the animal, flamingo feeding, animal tracking, medallion rubbing and the firepit storytelling. I'm tired but extremely satisfied.
Wow I thought it wasn't going to be this long, anywho if you guys have any questions, I have the May calendar of events for both Jambo House and Kidani.

#17 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:46 PM

Glad to hear you had a great time Yulady!

#18 User is offline   Casey 

• Studios Regular

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback. For trip planned in March, we'll be staying at the Beach Resort but I wanted a couple of nights at the AKL so we're ending our trip there. It costs an arm and a leg and a ponytail, but from your review it really seems to be worth it! Can't wait to go!

#19 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:33 PM

View PostCasey, on Sep 9 2010, 12:37 AM, said:

Thanks for the feedback. For trip planned in March, we'll be staying at the Beach Resort but I wanted a couple of nights at the AKL so we're ending our trip there. It costs an arm and a leg and a ponytail, but from your review it really seems to be worth it! Can't wait to go!

It IS worth it. I know you'll enjoy yourself. Can't wait to go back, maybe we'll make it a Mother's Day tradition, or better yet, for my b-day (That's in january). Have fun and report back

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users