Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SWW #1 trip report...finally!

#1 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 May 2006 - 12:34 PM

Our Star Wars Weekend #1 trip! "Cast" included DH-38, DS 6 1/2, DD 2 and myself...younger than DH :wink:

After a bumpy start our first day, which included a cranky 2 year old DD and a 2 1/2 hour flight delay, we got up nice and early for our day at MGM on Saturday. "Anakin" got suited up, DD put on her Leia t-shirt and we were off.

By the time we got our AP's activated and get inside MGM it was about 8:30. Since it was an EMH morning we were able to walk past the crowd of people already formed at the gates. We noticed a huge line inside the park for people waiting to get to the SWW events and FP's etc.

We headed towards R&RC and ToT when all of a sudden our fearless DS suddenly developed a fear of thrill rides! He has been going on thrill rides since he was 2 years old and loves them. But for whatever reason, he decided no way was he going on R&RC or ToT or even E:E!! (which shocked me and DH!)

So we head back towards Starring Rolls for breakfast. On the way over, we walked through the candy store and the CM's gave DS and DD so much attention! Then they bestowed a little Disney Magic and gave them each a chocolate covered marshmallow on a stick. Of course that even backfired on us LOL DD was just NOT going to eat anything else for breakfast! She threw a tantrum at the table b/c she wanted her "lolly!" My stress levels start rising again. DH tells me to just let her eat it so to shut her up since everyone is staring at us, I did. Ordinarily I would NOT give in (both DD and myself can be very strong-willed to say the least!)

After breakfast, it was 9am so we headed over towards Star Tours so DH and DS could sign up for trivia. They had 1 line for everything, the trivia sign-ups and sign-ups for the parade. As we are waiting to sign up for both trivia and parade, the CM's decided to start a second line just for the parade. People were ticked off! Kids that had been waiting patiently on the first line now got bumped to the back of the parade line after the kids that just happened to be walking up when they formed the new line.

DS and DH got to sign up for the trivia and jumped on the new parade line. They got up to the front right behind a family with 3 kids. The CM only had 3 wristbands for the parade left. I knew where this was heading! Sure enough the 3 kids got the last wristbands and the CM announced they were all out, no more parade participants. We felt horrible for DS, I could see he was trying so hard to hold it together and he was on the verge of tears.

We headed over to the first Jedi Training of the day. DS was waiting up front by the rope and we waited further back to give other kids a chance to get in there. As we were waiting in the crowd, Dh feels someone tapping him. We looks around and it's the oldest of the 3 kids with his Dad. The boy was about 9-10 yrs old. He wanted to give my DS his wristband for the parade! So they searched for us and were able to find us in the crowd. He had been in the parade before and wanted to give DS a chance. We thanked both him and his father profusely. We were so impressed with this young man and his parents should be so proud! DS was thrilled!

Finally the training began. DS was chosen to fight Darth Maul this year. (Last year he had Darth Vader) He couldn't stop telling people all day how he was able to fight both of them! He earned his certificate and tiny R2-D2 and Yoda toys they gave them.

Ds and I then went on Star Tours. It's kind of strange with all the people in that area but there was hardly any wait all day for it. On the way out, we caught DH and DD buying the first of many SW things in Tatooine Traders. Outside we saw Luke Skywalker so we headed to his line. About 2 kids before DS gets up there, Luke left and Leia came instead. DS was disappointed but DD got all excited and started pointing to her own Leia t-shirt.

After that it was time to gather for the parade already. Dh and DS went to the meeting place, DD and myself found a nice spot for the parade. (They do have a VIP section for the family members not marching with the Padawans in front of ABC soundstage but we chose a spot near the end of the route) While we were waiting I noticed that I must have spread the news too much about having kids wear costumes :wink: There were a ton of kids wearing them this year, last year DS was 1 of a handfull. We even noticed later that Disney was selling the costumes in all the stores too.

Finally the parade started! Jedi Mickey led the way and then all the Padawans followed, lightsabers raised and ready for action. After they were done, DH and DS were able to catch up to us and we all watched the rest of the parade. DS got to keep the lightsaber. (Just what we need...another lightsaber to go with the 10 others DS has ) They saw the boy again in the parade marching with his parent and again thanked him!

Ok my fingers need a break so if you are still reading this far it is To be continued...

#2 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 27 May 2006 - 12:46 PM

Ok to continue on about Day 2

After the parade, it was time to meet for the noon Padawan Mind Challenge. DS was on the stand-by list so we didn't have our hopes up to high. Fortunately, enough kids didn't show up and he was able to do it He aced the trivia! He won with 2 other much older boys. (They don't have 1st, 2nd, 3rd like the adults trivia. The winners were the last 3 left) All the kids that participated got the tiny R2-D2 & Yoda figures.

By this time, we totally missed our ADR's for the Sci-Fi and it was about 12:30. We went in and I told the CM we missed our time and were there any walk ups available. Once again, magic was on our side! He was able to squeeze us as long as we were willing to take a picnic table and not a car. Sure no problem! This is one of our favorite restaurants...not necessarily for the food but the atmosphere and the fact DS and DD zone out for a while for some downtime. While we were waiting, alot of people came in as walk-ins and the CM's told them all that there was no room and no ADR's available until 10PM! (Don't know why we were so lucky!) We had to wait about 15 minutes but when we finally did get a table, it was even a car! Kids were thrilled, they got their glow in the dark cups and ice cubes.

After lunch, it was time for the 2PM Mgmstudios.org Meet. DH and DS ran for Star Tours while DD and I headed to Sounds Dangerous. After casually strolling around the area and looking for other people doing the same, The Dark Lord of the Sith approached us. We introduced ourselves and our families. It was really great to be able to meet another board member in person. He and his family are really really nice despite his bad rep :wink: They were telling us how they waited over 3 hours for merchandise the day before! I again said a silent Thank You that my own family is not into the collectibles! DH and DS showed up and the kids talked for awhile, comparing their own notes. They seemed to hit it off and I think my DS really has a crush on his DD! He still keeps talking about his "new friend." We discussed how maybe next year, the meet should be at another location...perhaps one with liquid refreshments readily available :mrgreen:

Meet over, time to ride GMR. After that we headed to the dark side and DS got some pics with characters, had a few "run-ins" with stormtroopers, Aurra Sing, Boba, Zam Wessel, Darth Maul again and then DH and DS went on line for Darth Vader.

While DD and I were waiting I tried to get her to take a nap...no good. She wasn't going to miss anything! We sat in front of the meet & greet with Rick McCallum, the producer of the prequels. He seemed like such a nice guy! He wouldn't leave until everyone had their turn, including all the stand-bys. (I had heard from several people that Peter Mayhew (Chewie) is usually very nice but he left early even before some FP holders got to meet him. So apparently even a FP does not guarantee meeting the star) While walking around in a quiet area, Mr McCallum actually came past and stopped to say hello to my DD. (Of course I had no camera! )

DH and DS gave up on Vader after about 20 minutes and they still hadn't moved too far. So we went to the Wicket Warehouse to buy some stuff and see the X-Wing. We didn't really purchase any LE stuff except Darth Goofy and the figures w/ free George Lucas Stormtrooper...plus the usual t-shirts and some more spacecrafts, ewok for DD, X-wing pic of DS for DH. I wanted to get the big Jedi Mickey figure, there was 2 left, but DH talked me out of it b/c the box was huge! (I am now kicking myself for listening to him ) The artist that designed him was there for signing autographs and he also seemed very nice but it was pretty empty at that time. After talking to some guests about last years figure, he sat down and drew a pic for the daughter.

At that point, we were pretty spent. DS himself said he wanted to go back to the resort. (Of course he did, he had a bunch of new toys to play with, new books to read etc!) So we headed out to the car, with a quick stop at the store to buy some shorts for DS (Bad Mommy forgot to pack any! )

Got back to the resort, relaxed for about 10 minutes and we were off to the main pool! I sat on the edge of the kiddie pool while DD splash around while DH and DS were in the big pool. Everyone had fun until another little girl pushed DD under the water in the kiddie pool and I had to jump 1/2 way across the pool to get her. She was fine and but we were done with the pool for the day.

Had dinner at the food court and on the way back to the room we found our duck friends again from the previous night. There was 1 duck who only had 1/2 a top bill. I had to put the crackers all the way in the back of his bill so he could eat while the kids fed the other ones. (Ok I didn't HAVE to and we realized that he was probably the best fed duck since everyone felt so sorry for him )

Finally it was bedtime!

#3 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 27 May 2006 - 04:31 PM

The Parade story is really great. Sorry you passed up on the Big Fig Mickey. He looks GREAT! :twisted:

That duck saw you coming a mile away! :P

...and your family isn't into the limited edition items now... (although the G. Lucas piece qualifies) but you will be. Your son will lead you down that dark path and forever will it control your destiny. :jedi:

I saw the way he wore that Anakin costume. :wink:
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#4 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:03 AM

That's a great TR :salut: How cute your boy likes his girl :heart: To quote Timon, "I can see what's happening and they don't have a clue...." ;)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users