Studios Central: For the months of planning.. I realized I didnt know.. - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

For the months of planning.. I realized I didnt know..

#1 User is offline   IlluminatEpcot 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:59 AM

Ok, I really almost feel ashamed to ask this, as I've literally planned everything for our trip in March with the upmost care and thought.. from where to stay, where to eat, when to leave, when to eat, etc.. however I really feel like I forgot to think about something important.. How... Let me explain

I've not been to WDW in 10 years.. and this time I've got a wife and son with me.. Normally whenever I go to a theme park or something of the sort (aquarium or museum) You go in order of "start" to "finish" so to speak.. and it kind of hit me tonight reading some websites.. Do I do that at WDW like I did 10 years ago? I know Matt, you do the WDW today podcast and I love it, and I feel like I really should know the answer to this question, but I dont think I do.

Last time I was at the Studios, I headed off to ToT and RnR for FP and a fast ride if there wasnt a massive line.. Now with a wife who isnt a huge fan of roller coasters and huge drops.. what do I have her do if I am in line for one of the other? I want her to go through the attraction as much as she can up till the ride (I know you can do that on RnR and I "think" you can do that on ToT up until you get on the elevator, but I am not sure.) Or something like in Epcot or Magic Kingdom.. Do I go do future world left to right then World Showcase Right to Left or start in Adventureland and go clockwise around the hub?

I know.. I feel like an idiot.. I read the books, the blogs, listen to the podcasts.. but I just feel like I really dont know what to do on this one. Any thoughts and feedback would be appreciated.
Next Trip - Epic October -- 9/27 to 10/3
Staying at Pop Century
Previous Trips: March 2010, 2011
1999: June, Aug, Oct, Dec
2000: April, Oct, Dec

Webmaster of Illuminating Epcot

#2 User is offline   ksomm814 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:53 AM

When it comes to the parks, there's really only one thing to do. Prioritize and hope for the best. Go to disneyparks.com, print out the maps and then see what rides you really want to hit.

In Magic Kingdom, there is always a large crowd in Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. With your wife in mind, I would suggest Pirates of the Caribbean followed by the Haunted Mansion and then stroll through Fantasyland on your way to Tomorrowland with possible stops depending on how old your son is. With Magic Kingdom, it's best to enjoy the experience rather than force youself to run around to try to hit everything. I was down there last March with my niece and nephew who were two and four. We quickly found it best to go at their pace and hit what they seemed interested in hitting.

In Epcot, it really depends on how old your son is for this park. We avoided this one since my niece and nephew weren't old enough to appreciate it. If you go and your son is old enough for Test Track, there is a nice store nearby that your wife could look through. I believe it's called the Emporium and has a lot of unique items there.

In Hollywood Studios, the biggest attraction at the moment is Toy Story Mania so you'll want to hurry back there for a fast pass and then head to Rockin' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. Tower of Terror does let people skip the ride and once you reach the ride, there isn't a long wait for those who opt not to go. She could stroll through the store or even just sit outside if the weather's nice. It's the same for Rockin Roller Coaster.

I noticed you didn't mention Animal Kingdom. It may be an option for you to consider. We also went there last March with my niece and nephew. They enjoyed the safari ride as well as the shows we managed to see. We just had to take turns on Everest so there was soneome there to watch the kids.

All in all, it is really trial and error when it comes to the parks. Before children entered the picture, we hurried through the major attractions before taking it easy and enjoying ourselves. With young children, that isn't possible. You see what you can see and just enjoy the moment. To be honest, I have some of the best pictures from the parks when we slowed down and let the children take in the atmosphere. If you're so focused on a plan, you tend to miss what's around you.

Of course, that's just my opinion. :-)

Kara

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:05 PM

What you need is a touring plan. I would start with one of the basic plans that they have at touringplans.com (and those are free, I believ): http://www.touringpl...x.php?PageID=72

Like Kara said, it's about prioritizing. I'll take DHS as an example (shocking, I know). First, yes, your wife can go with you on Rock n Roller Coaster or Tower of Terror through the queue. At coaster, when you get to the parking garage, there will be a CM who will ask how many in your party and let him/her know your wife does not wish to ride. At Tower of Terror, she can go with you through the boiler room and when you get to the CM that asks how many in your party in the boiler room, your wife can take an elevator to the basement to meet you. What I love about the chicken exits is it allows your wife to spend more time together, see the queue and preshows, and minimize the amount of time she has to wait around.

To start with, get to any park before park opening. 8:30am is a good target for non-EMH morning days. Once park opens, go straight for Toy Story Midway mania, then head back to Sunset Boulevard and ride Coaster and Tower. If she's taking the chicken exits, there really wont be much time spent waiting for you.

After those big 3, I would go to Great Movie Ride and the Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Indiana Jones, and the other shows. Mix in attractions like Star Tours and Muppets when you have downtime between shows.

I wrote this back in 2007 (pre-TSMM) but most of it is still accurate: http://www.studioscentral.com/column/studi...ly/one-day-plan

Feel free to post any follow up questions here :skooter:

#4 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Running, Eating, Laughing, Running, Eating, Laughing

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:06 PM

MHWeaver: in 1999 my husband & I returned to WDW w/our 1st child after not having been there for about 10 years. Unlike you I did zero planning, opps! We managed to have a ton of fun, but missed a lot.

The biggest difference w/a kid is focusing on the "being" rather than the "getting to." As Matt said, have a good touring plan, but be ready to ditch it at any moment. When kids are done in Disney, they're done. Leave go back to your hotel, take a swim, a nap, change the routine.

Depending on the age of your kids, (I have taken 5months-13yrs) have a few kid friendly items w/you: snacks, DS, ipodshuffle & a good stroller (for kids 0-8) We even had a 9year old jump in the double stroller at Epcot to rest a little. When my kids were 3 & up & didn't like a ride, we had them listen to music (now an ipod shuffle) with their favorite Disney tunes; it's my daughter's favorite way to see Snow White. If your kids are young be sure to use the baby swap. Fast passes were great. My husband ran ahead & got them while I went to get in the queue, change a diaper, get a snack etc. There have been several times where the FP times were later than our kids patience, so on our way out of the park, we gave them away to another family.

Have so much fun!

Kristen

#5 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:34 AM

Another hint... genrally skip attractions at the front of the park early in the day. For example, Spaceship Earth at EPCOT usually has a longer line first thing in the morning because people walk into the park and get on line. Later in the day it's a shorter line. Also those attractions near one of the shows that lets out large crowds all at once such as Indiana Jones or Beauty & the Beast, for example, tend to be more crowded right after the show ends. You can't always avoid the crowd when a show lets out but something to keep in mind....
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#6 User is offline   IlluminatEpcot 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:00 AM

These are great tips. We're deciding between the 300 or so touring plans.. Thinking of doing the one day plans for each park then with the last 3 days, going back and filling in blanks or seeing things we want to see again. What did surprise me is that Fantasmic is only playing 3 nights, and the studios close VERY early (7 or 8) if there's no Fantasmic.. Animal Kingdom I get not being open late.. but I remember the Studios being open as late as MK or Epcot.
Next Trip - Epic October -- 9/27 to 10/3
Staying at Pop Century
Previous Trips: March 2010, 2011
1999: June, Aug, Oct, Dec
2000: April, Oct, Dec

Webmaster of Illuminating Epcot

#7 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:45 AM

A close at 7 or 8 is "par for the course" for that time of the year. When you get to the REALLY busy times of the year, then DHS closes closer to the other parks.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users