• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fantasmic

#21 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:15 PM

Exactly. When Disneyland (admittedly a different entity) repaved Main Street this past winter and didn't hold fireworks, they did delay the refurb for Fantasmic so that weekend guests visiting would not be left without any form of nighttime entertainment.

#22 User is offline   IlluminatEpcot 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:57 PM

Is Fantasmic still basically the same show as it was back in Dec 2000? It seems so from youtube vids and such I've seen, except for a few minor things here and there like characters on the ending boat.. are there any plans for future changes to this?

On a side note.. I never got to see Sorcery in the Sky.. do they do this at all or like on super special occasions? I've heard its amazing but gone..
Next Trip - Epic October -- 9/27 to 10/3
Staying at Pop Century
Previous Trips: March 2010, 2011
1999: June, Aug, Oct, Dec
2000: April, Oct, Dec

Webmaster of Illuminating Epcot

#23 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:10 PM

Generally speaking Fantasmic is the same show today as it was in 2000. They've updated some backdrops and other minor details but the show is the same.

Sorcery in the Sky is not shown anymore. On July 4th and New years eve they have special firework shows but they really aren't like Sorcery in the Sky anymore, just music themed to fireworks.

#24 User is offline   IHeartTheStudios 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:12 PM

MHWeaver913 said:

Is Fantasmic still basically the same show as it was back in Dec 2000? It seems so from youtube vids and such I've seen, except for a few minor things here and there like characters on the ending boat.. are there any plans for future changes to this?

On a side note.. I never got to see Sorcery in the Sky.. do they do this at all or like on super special occasions? I've heard its amazing but gone..

Fantasmic is basically the same as 2000 (except like you said, little things like the Characters on the boat and so on). There are no plans to change it any time in the near future. However, the show did just get a new director. So new eyes sometimes bring new insights. It's possible (but definately not something being talked about right now).

They still do a version of Sorcery in the Sky for some conventions. However, it's missing one of (in my opinion) the best parts, which was a huge Mickey inflatable that appeared on top of the Great Movie Ride.

#25 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:28 AM

MHWeaver913 said:

Perhaps. Disneyland retired "Bucky" the dragon recently. In a few months, Disneyland is going to unveil a brand new Maleficent that will supposedly be able to manuever a whole lot better than the old version(some rumors say that this new dragon will be able to climb the cabin on Tom Sawyer Island). Given that the DHS version is a near clone of Disneyland's (inserting Pocahantas where Disneyland uses Peter Pan fighting Captain Hook on a pirate ship), if this change works well at Disneyland, we may see it brought over to DHS.

#26 User is offline   squishybear 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney!!!

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:35 AM

There are some other things that they've added to Fantasmic! in DL.

Here's what allears has to say about it:

Fantasmic! returns with a lot of enhancements, including hi-def digital projections on the water screens. There's a new crocodile who will be following the pirate ship, and their are two new "cast members" - Flotsam and Jetsam, who will be gliding on the surface of the water. Their mouths open and their eyes move, and they are quite manueverable. There is also a new 40' tall dragon who is fully automated.

Perhaps some of these will be coming to the East Coast as well.

#27 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:03 PM

I doubt the crocodile is coming on account of Peter Pan not being in the DHS version.

The big question is whether or not WDW would shut Fantasmic down for a few weeks or even a couple of months in order to install the new dragon.

#28 User is offline   Eric 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:35 PM

Sleepless Knight said:

I doubt the crocodile is coming on account of Peter Pan not being in the DHS version.

The big question is whether or not WDW would shut Fantasmic down for a few weeks or even a couple of months in order to install the new dragon.

Yes, Disney wouldn't want to shut down Fantasmic for 2 months. The guests that were there those 5 or 6 nights may complain. :wink:

Besides, adding the dragon would probably increase the cost of performing Fantasmic, leading to the new "Fantasmic Party" hard ticket. For $54.95 you get admission to DHS after 7 pm to watch Fantasmic. Oh yeah, and you get a cookie.

:evil:
Eric
www.MouseGuest.com

"Universal is like Wal-Mart with roller coasters."
- Buzz Ardman to Paige Turner, 11/1/08

#29 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:14 AM

Sleepless Knight said:

Given that the DHS version is a near clone of Disneyland's (inserting Pocahantas where Disneyland uses Peter Pan fighting Captain Hook on a pirate ship), if this change works well at Disneyland, we may see it brought over to DHS.

Although I know the WDW version is supposed to be just like the DL version, I always think it looks like they put a lot less into it. My favorite part is the Peter Pan segment in the first place, and in the second place, the steamboat at the end of the WDW always looks like it's made of cardboard. I appreciate that it's supposed to look like the hand-drawn cartoon, but it's hard to compare it to the Mark Twain.

#30 User is offline   squishybear 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney!!!

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:27 AM

Jeanine said:

Sleepless Knight said:

Given that the DHS version is a near clone of Disneyland's (inserting Pocahantas where Disneyland uses Peter Pan fighting Captain Hook on a pirate ship), if this change works well at Disneyland, we may see it brought over to DHS.

Although I know the WDW version is supposed to be just like the DL version, I always think it looks like they put a lot less into it. My favorite part is the Peter Pan segment in the first place, and in the second place, the steamboat at the end of the WDW always looks like it's made of cardboard. I appreciate that it's supposed to look like the hand-drawn cartoon, but it's hard to compare it to the Mark Twain.

I agree with you Jeanine. I always love the Peter Pan scene, especially that cute crocodile chasing everyone. I'm actually the only person in my family who likes Fantasmic! in WDW. We all went once and my brother and father thought the show was just boring (especially for waiting so long in line for it). The last few times I've had to go on my own or convince my mom to join me. I really don't understand what they dont' like about it, but I think they would like the DL version better (which they have never seen).

#31 User is offline   WDWmemories 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:01 PM

I do hope that we get to a time when this is once again shown every day. I know that it is a cost-cutting move...

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users