• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cowboy on Great Movie Ride

#1 User is offline   PinkieBelle 

• Studios Newbie
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:09 PM

Howdy!

We've been to WDW and DHS many, many times but we usually go at a time of year that is less crowded. This means that, more than likely, they are only running the gangster at the Great Movie Ride. This year, however, we are arriving on the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend. So, I'm hoping to have an opportunity (or two or three) to see the cowboy on the Great Movie Ride.

What I need to know is what are my chances of seeing the Cowboy on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend? Should I re-arrange things so that we are at DHS on Saturday?

#2 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:42 PM

Little tip: When you get there. . . It doesn't hurt to ask if they are running that show.
Professionals admit to the problem. Alcoholics claim they have no problem.

Field Agent Indy reporting for the next World Showcase Mission

#3 User is offline   PinkieBelle 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:03 PM

Asking when we get there isn't really going to help me.

I don't want to go on Sunday only to find out they aren't running cowboy at all and we *should have* gone on Saturday.

I'm trying to find out the likelihood of them running cowboy on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend. Or are things too cleared out by then for them to run cowboy?

#4 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:10 PM

Hmm... It depends on how many people they are expecting for the day. There has to be a lot of people coming to the park. Thanksgiving is a good bet, but possibly not

#5 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:38 PM

View Postdarthstich, on Jul 28 2009, 04:10 PM, said:

Hmm... It depends on how many people they are expecting for the day. There has to be a lot of people coming to the park.

Couldn't be any further from the truth even if it was tossed into the fifth dimension. Amount of people in the park have nothing to do with it.
Professionals admit to the problem. Alcoholics claim they have no problem.

Field Agent Indy reporting for the next World Showcase Mission

#6 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:15 PM

View PostIndyandMarion, on Jul 28 2009, 05:38 PM, said:

Couldn't be any further from the truth even if it was tossed into the fifth dimension. Amount of people in the park have nothing to do with it.

So how do they determine if they are having the Cowboy and/or the Gangster? Do they have them both running the same day? Do they switch off? Or does it have to be National Cowboy Day? :blink:
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#7 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:53 PM

View PostPinkieBelle, on Jul 28 2009, 03:03 PM, said:

Asking when we get there isn't really going to help me.

I don't want to go on Sunday only to find out they aren't running cowboy at all and we *should have* gone on Saturday.

I'm trying to find out the likelihood of them running cowboy on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend. Or are things too cleared out by then for them to run cowboy?

I would ask the Cast Member if you can experience the cowboy part and often I've found that they dont run cowboy all the time, but do throw it in there and they can accommodate you.

Certainly the busier the time of the year, the more likely they will need to run cowboy.

#8 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:39 AM

As far as I know, (and anyone with "inside info" can correct me), Mugsey (the gangster) or his female counterpart is always around but Kit (the cowboy) works part time so it's a crap shoot. In the past few years, having been on GMR 30 or 40 times, I've only seen the western scene running maybe 2 times (even if you don't get the western show, you can tell when loading by the number of cars they load).
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#9 User is offline   IHeartTheStudios 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:40 AM

Whether or not they have it is based on the workload that gets entered into the system which is based on the estimate for the number of people they believe will be in the park. However it can be affected by lots of things like call ins or vehicles breaking down and so on. Close to Thanksgiving is probably a good bet. A night where there is Fantasmic or extra magic hours also will probably up your chances because there are usually more people in the park. Don't go to the ride before noon. They generally pull on vehicles through out the morning as the park gets busier. Also, don't wait until evening. The ride gets less busy (usually) towards the end of the night because people are going off to other things. So as the day goes on they will pull vehicles off again. So go in the middle of the day. Ask the Cast Member out front if they are running any "bandit" or "A" shows. This Cast Member may or may not know. If they say yes get in line and when you get through the pre-show and they ask how many are in your party say "We'd like to wait for a bandit (or "A") show please." If it's running they should accomodate you. It's not an entirely unusual request so you should find that the Cast are willing to help you out.

#10 User is offline   ghost1000 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:14 AM

I've asked for and gotten the cowboy many times now. I normally have to wait, but the last time I rode they were loading the cowboy. Like IndyandMarion said, it doesn't hurt to ask.
~~ Rita

#11 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:15 AM

I think the reason why the Gangster gets more attention is because more people ask for that show than the cowboy.
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#12 User is offline   IHeartTheStudios 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:38 PM

View PostCOH#1fan, on Jul 31 2009, 07:15 AM, said:

I think the reason why the Gangster gets more attention is because more people ask for that show than the cowboy.

No it's because the vehicles trigger effects as they go around the track. There are 5 sets of vehicles that can go around the track at any one time. The sets can either have a gangster and a cowboy vehicle or just a gangster vehicle. The way the ride system is set up is that the gangster vehicle can start the effects AND end them (shut the doors behind them, etc). The cowboy vehicle can only start them. Except the finale film which only the gangster vehicle can start. So you can have a gangster vehicle without a cowboy vehicle but you can never have a cowboy vehicle without a gangster vehicle. That's why you will always have gangster shows running and the number of cowboy vehicles will vary.

#13 User is offline   BuhAgego73 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:Tennis, racquet sports

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:19 PM

Time does not pass quickly when in the presence of my MIL

I think if I can ride in the truck with our technician...even ToT would be a more gentle ride

kathi

#14 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:47 AM

View PostIHeartTheStudios, on Jul 31 2009, 01:38 PM, said:

No it's because the vehicles trigger effects as they go around the track. There are 5 sets of vehicles that can go around the track at any one time. The sets can either have a gangster and a cowboy vehicle or just a gangster vehicle. The way the ride system is set up is that the gangster vehicle can start the effects AND end them (shut the doors behind them, etc). The cowboy vehicle can only start them. Except the finale film which only the gangster vehicle can start. So you can have a gangster vehicle without a cowboy vehicle but you can never have a cowboy vehicle without a gangster vehicle. That's why you will always have gangster shows running and the number of cowboy vehicles will vary.

A little late, but thank you for the explanation :lol:

#15 User is offline   Mousekedude 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:Disney, boating, fishing, reading, good music.

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:33 PM

View PostQuickGold, on Oct 26 2009, 10:47 AM, said:

A little late, but thank you for the explanation :)

Yeah. I never even knew why we would sometimes get both and other times only get the gangster, but I never thought to ask anyone.
Wow, I feel so enlightened now.... :rolleyes:
LOL....
I'm not a Disney freak... I'm NOT, I tell you... no way.... you can't prove it....

#16 User is offline   IHeartTheStudios 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:39 AM

View PostQuickGold, on Oct 26 2009, 11:47 AM, said:

A little late, but thank you for the explanation :rolleyes:

No problem. :)

#17 User is offline   Howie 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Interests:Family, WDW

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:38 PM

unless you know a CM there who you can call early before you go you wont know; and when you do go and it is running, ask the CM at the inside entrance doors to the ride down in front by the movie screen that you would like the 'bandit' show - they like that more than the 'cowboy' show i am told lol;

#18 User is offline   rdeacon 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:Umm guess...

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:55 AM

Question is why don't they didn't design the ride alternate between the cowboy and the gangster. It seems it would be a better idea to design it so that it could have had either or. This would have lead to a better show experience. Or at least they should run the cowboy more often, so the show would seem random and not so canned.
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

#19 User is offline   IHeartTheStudios 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:42 PM

View Postrdeacon, on Nov 3 2009, 11:55 AM, said:

Question is why don't they didn't design the ride alternate between the cowboy and the gangster. It seems it would be a better idea to design it so that it could have had either or. This would have lead to a better show experience. Or at least they should run the cowboy more often, so the show would seem random and not so canned.

This was the original design. However, it quickly became clear that early in the day or late in the evening or during slow times of the year it was a waste to have a number of vehicles go out with a row or two of people or with no one at all. It's a waste of labor and cutting it down is a very effective cost savings tool that still allows the same number of people to ride the ride.

#20 User is offline   Pirka 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:My greatest passion is animation of all kinds, Western and Eastern! I hope to be an animator someday. For now, I spend so much time drawing anyways!<br />I recently celebrated my 16th birthday at WDW (my 5th time altogether but my only birthday there since I was *6*). It was *amazing*. I rode the ToT for the first time (I was absolutely petrified, as I am NOT a thrill ride person) but it was sooo worth it ;)<br />I also love the Citizens of Hollywood, and it feels so cool to see a site where other people love them and know who they are!<br />I hope that I will be a good part of the community here at Studios Central!<br /><br />~ Pirka

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:17 AM

I have always wondered what determined which path you got ('Cowboy' path or 'Gangster' path). My parents didn't even believe me when I told them there were two versions of the ride!
This year was actually the first time I ever got the 'Cowboy' path. It felt nice to prove that it existed :)

~ Pirka
"I like Canadians. They look just like Americans! Isn't that weird?"
~ "Ready" Freddy Fiddlesticks

One little spark of inspiration
Is at the heart of all creation
Right at the start of everything that's new
One little spark
Lights up for you!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic