• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

American Idol Season 9 Listening Thread

#1 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:11 PM

I'm going to attempt to watch American Idol this season and thought it'd be fun to discuss various aspects of the show here with all of you. If you watch, please feel free to jump in!

I'll start with last night's show (Boston auditions)...

- First, Kara is still very annoying. On one hand she tries so hard to be like Paula, but she is no where near as nice and often comes off as "little miss know it all". I can't stand her.

- How did that big Italian guy make it? He wasn't that good at all and if there is no way he makes it beyond Hollywood.

- The only singer that I thought that could be a contender was the latin woman who had a nose ring and sang very well. No one else really seemed to be that talented.

- No mention of WDW in this episode.

#2 User is offline   April 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:27 PM

I thought the same thing about WDW. We should start to see Dream Tickets this season right? They did hold auditions in Orlando so I imagine that episode will talk the most about AEI. The Orlando auditions air Jan. 20th, pending the State of the Union doesn't mess the schedule up.

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

View PostApril, on Jan 13 2010, 02:27 PM, said:

I thought the same thing about WDW. We should start to see Dream Tickets this season right? They did hold auditions in Orlando so I imagine that episode will talk the most about AEI. The Orlando auditions air Jan. 20th, pending the State of the Union doesn't mess the schedule up.

I will be very interested to see how many dream ticket winners make it AND are mentioned as dream ticket winners. When that angry guy with the glasses was on who complained he waited so long, I said to my wife out loud "He should have gone to AIE" :P

#4 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

Last night was the Atlanta try outs...

- A gripe I have is they show these terrible singers (which is entertaining) but then they glaze over a bunch of talented ones and I know when we get to Hollywood, I will be like "Who is that? Who's that?"

- The best singer of the day I thought was Melanie (blonde girl in white dress with long hair). I thought she has a great voice and a good look. She wasn't also as twangy as some of the others and I think that will lend itself to her going further in the competition

- The girl that was from a small town in TN and jumped off bridges was very interesting. She lived such a secluded life (she was excited to go on an "aero-plane") and I don't think her singing is good enough to go far in the competition, I do think it will be really cool to see how she reacts to being in LA and the experience because for her, this seems to be something that will totally "expose" her to the world outside of her home town.

- You had to know when they showed the two bffs that one was going to be great and one not so great and as Marvin the robot from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy would say "This will all end in tears, I just know it"

- The pants on the floor guy was so very dumb, that you cant help but laugh at it.

#5 User is offline   April 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:09 PM

You just summed up why a number of AI fans (my mom and friend Mindy are two examples) do not watch the auditions and wait for Hollywood Week to start tuning in.

#6 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:20 PM

And Kara is still beyond annoying. I really cannot stand her because she is so smug. She thinks that now because Paula is gone, she thinks somehow she is the most important person on the show. She talks all the time and bops her head along to the music and mouths the words and it's so annoying because she thinks she is God's gift to everyone. I really loathe her.

#7 User is offline   April 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:43 PM

View PostQuickGold, on Jan 14 2010, 03:20 PM, said:

And Kara is still beyond annoying. I really cannot stand her because she is so smug. She thinks that now because Paula is gone, she thinks somehow she is the most important person on the show. She talks all the time and bops her head along to the music and mouths the words and it's so annoying because she thinks she is God's gift to everyone. I really loathe her.

Tell us how you really feel. :skooter:

#8 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:12 PM

View PostApril, on Jan 14 2010, 03:43 PM, said:

Tell us how you really feel. :skooter:

;) This is my venting place....kind of like a laughing place, only less happy

#9 User is offline   lilchippewa 

• Studios God

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:38 AM

I agree on Kara, very annoying. I gotta say I was happy to see a kid from Joliet, IL , Jermaine Sellers, do so well on Wednesday as I grew up very close to there.
-Josh

#10 User is offline   sarahzy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:43 AM

I was planning to 'break up' with Idol this season, but tuned in to auditions to see if there was any mention of DHS and AIE. I'm decidedly hooked for another season now! Curse you, Idol!! So far I liked the dark haired girl with the grandma who has Alzheimers.

#11 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:35 PM

View Postsarahzy, on Jan 18 2010, 12:43 AM, said:

I was planning to 'break up' with Idol this season, but tuned in to auditions to see if there was any mention of DHS and AIE. I'm decidedly hooked for another season now! Curse you, Idol!! So far I liked the dark haired girl with the grandma who has Alzheimers.

I am mostly watching this season because of AIE. I'm curious to see how much of a connection AIE will have to the show.

#12 User is offline   April 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:47 PM

I read somewhere online that one of the final 24 is an AIE dream ticket holder. Not sure if it's a rumor or not. It'll be interesting to see if they show it. My money is on tomorrow's show covering it.

#13 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:36 PM

Today's show (Chicago) was forgetful. Not very interesting at all and made me look forward to the auditions be over so we can get to the real competition.

Also, why didn't they book Shania Twain for Atlanta when they had a thousand country singers?

#14 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

View PostApril, on Jan 19 2010, 08:47 PM, said:

I read somewhere online that one of the final 24 is an AIE dream ticket holder. Not sure if it's a rumor or not. It'll be interesting to see if they show it. My money is on tomorrow's show covering it.

I'm looking forward to the Orlando show and I have to think AIE will at least be promoted a bit. Thanks for the rumor....so far, nothing about AIE at all

#15 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:19 PM

First, the good. I thought the talent of singers from Orlando was very good. Much better than yesterday's show and among the best this season. My heart went out to the girl who can't use the left side of her mouth and while she has a good voice, I dont think she'll make it very far. But there were some great talents today

Now, considering this was the Orlando show, was I the only one shocked there was not one mention of the American Idol Experience? I don't need a 10 minute documentary but they could have mentioned it exists!

And oh yea, Kara was very annoying, especially on Day 1 with Kristin Chenoweth.

#16 User is offline   April 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:30 PM

I saw one reference to the dream ticket. Someone had it written on a sign that they were a dream ticket winner. Funny thing was she was nowhere near the front of the line. There were lots of use of the word "magic" "dream", shots of the parks, and Disney tunes... yet nothing Sea World or Universal. Thought that was interesting.

And I agree... lots of talent tonight,

#17 User is offline   sarahzy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:52 PM

I was really shocked at the complete lack of AIE! I thought they'd be promoting the heck out of it. I figured for sure they'd talk about it tonight.

I think the highlight for me was the guy getting cuffed. That's an AI first! (At least a first that they put on air)

#18 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:55 AM

Perhaps the deal AI has with Disney is one sided, meaning it just covers the attraction and doesn't stipulate that Idol needs to promote AIE on the show. I think we all thought it would make sense for them to promote it, but perhaps not.

#19 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney World, Harry Potter, Star Wars and my family

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

maybe since AI is on Fox and not ABC that has something to do with it. Orlando had great talent, loved the story of the guy who had been in jail. Still not really fully watching until they get to Hollywood. I just can't stand Kara so I choose not to watch the show until completely neccesary.
Por favor mantenganse alejados de las puertas

#20 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Running, Eating, Laughing, Running, Eating, Laughing

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

Agree: Talent was better. Kara & Kristin very annoying. I saw a glimpse of MK, w/no AIE.

Found it ironic that they were trying to help one person rebuild himself after being in jail & then sent one off to jail.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users