• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Wilson Family cruise

#21 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 22 November 2004 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for the info Rob. I'm planning on wearing what I wear to work; khaki's and collared shirts. Now I'm just crossing my fingers for no rain.

#22 User is offline   Doctor Seeker 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Many

Posted 22 November 2004 - 06:51 PM

That's the nice thing about a cruise. They can avoid 90% of the bad weather out at sea. It's getting in and out of port that's the problem.

#23 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 23 November 2004 - 12:53 PM

My concern is bad weather at port. It's supposed to rain on the days we're in Nassau & CC :lol:

#24 User is offline   rob_wilson 

• Resident Game Show Expert
  • Interests:Disney, Trivia

Posted 27 November 2004 - 07:44 PM

Chapter 6: Why doesn't Cay rhyme with bay?

We started off the day by getting a bit of a surprise. Each day we would get a new flyer that told about activities for the day. As I read through the one for this particular day, something caught my eye. It seems that the "Who Wants To Be A Mouseketeer?" show would be running in the evening between the show and dinner. From everything we had heard and read prior to leaving for the cruise, this show should have only been running on the 7 night cruise. Well, obviously we decided to go to the show, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

The ship had docked at Castaway Cay, so we grabbed a bite of breakfast and then headed ashore. It was fairly cool and breezy at the time we departed, so we debated on whether to turn back or not. There were also some dark clouds in the sky. However, we decided to tough it out and the weather did eventually improve. In fact, by lunchtime it was quite nice out.

Castaway Cay was much nicer and cleaner than Nassau had seemed to us. We walked along, stopping whenever we saw characters to get photos. We also took pictures of the beach, ocean, and ship. Of course, we had to stop to get a few souvenirs as well. As lunchtime approached, we got into a minor argument about whether to have lunch on the beach or return to the ship. Surprisingly, my wife and I were on opposite sides of the argument than what you might think. This time it was her that seemed to be in a hurry to get back to the boat while I figured we would at least have lunch first. We eventually did have the picnic lunch which was quite good. They had burgers, chip, vvarious types of salads, and even ice cream.

After lunch we returned to the ship and split up. My son and I went to the theater and watched "Home on the Range". The women went back to the the room and started doing some of the packing. The film was pretty good. I hadn't seen it before and was expecting the worst. However, it was fairly amusing and fun to watch.

We met back up with the women and rested up a bit. Eventually we made our way to the Disney Dreams show. The show was about a little girl who wished upon a star before bedtime and hwo was then visited by a few Disney friends. Lots of great moments and musical numbers. We particularly enjoyed the ending, which I won't give away.

After the show, we had intended to split up as we had bought some souvenirs and wanted the captain to sign a statue of Captain Mickey from the Walt Disney Classics Collection. However, we had enough time that we got him to sign the statue and then went on to the "Who Wants To Be A Mouseketeer?" show. As we entered the Studio Sea nightclub, we were each handed a small piece of paper with a number. These numbers were the way in which contestants were chosen to sit in the Hot Seat. Once the show began, they flashed a number up on overhead monitors and the audience member with that number went on stage. None of our numbers were chosen.

Nevertheless, we enjoyed the show. What we had read about the show suggested that the the game was played much like the actual gameshow where you would play up to 15 questions. We had also read that contestants getting questions correct would earn credit to spend on board and possibly a cruise. Maybe they do that on the seven night cruises, but not on this one. Instead, contestants were asked to respond to up to 5 questions and if they answered all 5 correctly they one a crystal shaped like the show logo. They ended up having either 4 or 5 contestants and all but one made it to the last question. Of these contestants, all had missed the last question until they got to the last contestant. It was a young boy, maybe 10 or 12, and he managed to keep his 50/50 lifeline until the end. The question was as follows:

Which of the following actors has never appeared in a Disney movie?

A. Arnold Schwarzeneggar
B. Denzel Washington
C. Gene Hackman
D. Antonio Banderas

When the question first came up, I quickly eliminated A and D because I had just seen Arnold in "Around the World in 80 Days" and I knew Antonio Banderas had been in the "Spy Kids" films. I then remembered that Denzel Washington starred in "Remember the Titans", so I was thinking it must be Hackman. However, the boy used his 50/50 and it removed the B and C choices! Now there was no possible correct answer based on what I knew. I figured that perhaps the question was outdated and that they considered A to be correct. Well, I figured at this point that if the boy answered incorrectly I would go to bat for him since the question was flawed.

Anyway, the boy chose A and a clock began counting down 30 seconds. Just as the time ran out, he changed his answer to D. The host said to reset the clock, so again it counted down from 30. And, once again he changed his answer at the last second, in part due to the audience reaction. So, we got to see the clock count down for the third time before he confirmed that he would go with A. The host told him he was correct and they presented him with his crystal. As the audience left, we approached the host and told him about the error in the question. We also talked a bit about our connections to his show. He seemed glad that we pointed out the flaw and insisted that he would contact the question writers to let them know.

By now, we were starving, so we headed straight to the Animator's Palate. My wife and I both started with the Baked Stuffed Tomato. I think I then had a Grilled Sirloin and for dessert, Boston Creme Pie. The restaurant is really entertaining, with all of the art on the wall changing colors throughout the meal. The finale where the waiters outfits also change color is a bit hokey, but otherwise it was a very enjoyable meal.

After dinner, we stopped in Shutters to pick up a few photos before turning in for the night. We had to be off the boat early in the morning, so we wanted to be sure to get some rest. :sleep:

To be concluded...

#25 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 29 November 2004 - 04:32 PM

Nice TR Rob :)

#26 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney. Should there be anything else?

Posted 29 November 2004 - 10:04 PM

And they didn't give you a gift for correcting them on the question? I was second guessing myself before reading the rest of the post about it.

#27 User is offline   rob_wilson 

Posted 04 December 2004 - 07:35 PM

TrendyMagic said:

And they didn't give you a gift for correcting them on the question? I was second guessing myself before reading the rest of the post about it.

No gift, just the satisfaction of a job well done. :P

#28 User is offline   rob_wilson 

Posted 04 December 2004 - 07:55 PM

Chapter 7: The Voyage Home

We woke the next morning and quickly got showered and dressed. We were slated to have breakfast at The Animator's Palate, but since we wouldn't be able to eat for awhile yet if we did that, we chose instead to go to Beach Blanket Buffet. After breakfast, we discovered that passengers were now allowed to disembark, so in order to avoid the rush we went ahead and left.

There was a line outside of people waiting to get their bags checked to the airport, but thanks to our early exit from the boat it wasn't terribly long. Once we made it through the line, we climbed aboard the Disney Cruise Line bus for the ride back to the airport. We sat in the front, and enjoyed some classic cartoons featuring Donald Duck and Pluto.

The flights were fairly uneventful. In fact, they arrived on time, which was a nice surprise compared to the usual luck we have when flying. Despite the rough start to the trip, everyone ended up having a great time. And the punchline to this story? At dinner on the last night, I asked the family what they might like to do the next time we start planning a Disney vacation. The vote was 3 for the Disney Cruise and 1 for Walt Disney World. Of course, since I'm the one that will be footing the bill, my lone vote for WDW may be enough to tip the scales in my favor. :wink:

The end.

Coming soon: My California trip report

#29 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 05 December 2004 - 12:32 PM

rob_wilson said:

At dinner on the last night, I asked the family what they might like to do the next time we start planning a Disney vacation. The vote was 3 for the Disney Cruise and 1 for Walt Disney World. Of course, since I'm the one that will be footing the bill, my lone vote for WDW may be enough to tip the scales in my favor. :wink:

I think our cruise also tipped the scales towards cruises over WDW but I remain firm in my love of WDW

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users