• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sell Me on the Studios

#1 User is offline   njwdwfan 

• Studios Newbie
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:51 PM

Hi,
This is my first post here on studios central, although I've read many posts before. We are taking our 4th trip to the world next week and as I was trying to come up with a touring plan for DHS, I just don't feel there is a lot to see or do there. I'm sure I must be missing something, which is why I am turning to the experts for advice.

A little background: There are 6 of us going on this trip. DH and I, DS16, DD16, DS12 and DD10. The only ones riding Tot and RnR will be DH and DS12. Here's our plan for the day:

We'll be there on 6/23 at RD

FP and ride TSM
DH and son to RnR & ToT
Voyage of the LM
Animation Studio
ST
Muppets (if we have time before lunch)
ADR at 11:30 at Brown Derby
Lights, Motor
Ride TSM with FP
Back to resort

I know there must be more to do. I would fit in Beauty and the Beast if I could. What are we missing? I would really like to enjoy this park like we do the others and I feel that we're missing out. Help!

Karen

PS Not sure if this was the right spot in the forums for this, please redirect if needed, thanks.

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:42 PM

Welcome to Studios Central Karen!

I hear your question often and I really feel there is lots to do for your family. Here are some suggestions...

Animation Acedemy - This is a great family activity where you can learn to draw Disney characters. Don't prejudge that idea because it really is a lot of fun and I think if anything you may want to do it a few times because it's pretty interesting (and surprisingly easy) to draw.

Streetmosphere - I'm a big fan of this entertainment and I highly encourage you to check it out. Your kids will really enjoy it and the humor definitely is great for adults as well. I'd recommend Jack Diamond's "magic" show or Francis Floot's shows. If those aren't an option, check any out because Streetmosphere is a real highlight of the Studios.

I think the major challenge is going to be your teens. To be honest, I'm sure they would love nothing more than riding Tower and Coaster over and over again. If your 10 year old is interested in Jedi Training Academy, that might be a good idea to have the teens ride the thrills again (Tower's standby wait should be managable) while you and your 10 year old do JTA.

How about American Idol? The 7pm show is by far the best (it's the finale) and I think your teens might enjoy it. Even for you, I think AIE is vastly underrated given many write it off because it's Idol. Try it out before you write it off.

Hope this helps!

#3 User is offline   bjohnson 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:56 PM

It sounds like you've been before so this is probably a non-issue, but if you haven't seen MuppetVision 3D before I'd put that on a "must do" list.

#4 User is offline   njwdwfan 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:50 PM

View PostQuickGold, on Jun 10 2009, 09:42 PM, said:

Welcome to Studios Central Karen!

I hear your question often and I really feel there is lots to do for your family. Here are some suggestions...

Animation Acedemy - This is a great family activity where you can learn to draw Disney characters. Don't prejudge that idea because it really is a lot of fun and I think if anything you may want to do it a few times because it's pretty interesting (and surprisingly easy) to draw.

Streetmosphere - I'm a big fan of this entertainment and I highly encourage you to check it out. Your kids will really enjoy it and the humor definitely is great for adults as well. I'd recommend Jack Diamond's "magic" show or Francis Floot's shows. If those aren't an option, check any out because Streetmosphere is a real highlight of the Studios.

I think the major challenge is going to be your teens. To be honest, I'm sure they would love nothing more than riding Tower and Coaster over and over again. If your 10 year old is interested in Jedi Training Academy, that might be a good idea to have the teens ride the thrills again (Tower's standby wait should be managable) while you and your 10 year old do JTA.

How about American Idol? The 7pm show is by far the best (it's the finale) and I think your teens might enjoy it. Even for you, I think AIE is vastly underrated given many write it off because it's Idol. Try it out before you write it off.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Actually the teens are not thrill riders! I think they will enjoy the shows more. I forgot about the Idol attraction, I know my 10 year old would really enjoy that. Do they list the Streetsmosphere acts in the times guide?

BTW, I am a huge fan of the podcast, love the banter between all of you. Thanks again for the advice.

#5 User is offline   General Specific 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:15 PM

Sell you on the Studios? It shouldn't be that hard. In my opinion, it is the best park at WDW (and the race was not close), so I have a good idea of what each attraction's service record looks like. Without further ado, ratings and descriptions of each rating:

The 5-star Award for Outstanding Valor: Impeccable. If any member of your platoon does not enjoy one or more of the attractions listed here, you should march them down to the psych ward.

Fantasmic!
Muppetvision 3D
Star Tours
The Great Movie Ride
Toy Story Midway Mania

The 4-star Award for Exemplary Performance: Excellent Attractions/Shows, many of which did not make the 5-star list due to small percentages of Guests being waryof or or slightly less interested in them.

Beauty and the Beast
Block Party Bash
Citizens of Hollywood
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
Rock'n'Roller Coaster
Tower of Terror

The Honorable Service Award: Attractions/Shows that have earned their place in the World's greatest park.

Lights, Motors, Action
One Man's Dream
The Magic of Disney Animation (Including Animation Academy)
Voyage of the Little Mermaid

Recommendation for Honorable Discharge: Past their prime, or generally focused on a specific age group with limited entertainment for those who would fall out of that age group.

Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground
Playhouse Disney: Live on Stage
Sounds Dangerous
Studio Backlot Tour (Post Automated Spiel)
The American Idol Experience

Nomination for Immediate Court Martial:
Get this filth of my streets immediately.

High School Musical
Journey into Narnia: Prince Caspian

#6 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:56 AM

If you think they will like the shows, Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular is great, as well as Fantasmic! in the evenings, which if they are showing it, is really a must see show. Other attractions you should check out while you are the Great Movie Ride, One Man's Dream, Chronicle of Narnia if your kids like the movies, The Animation Academy at the Magic of Disney Animation, Jedi Training Academy for the younger ones, American Idol if you like the TV Show, Streetmosphere and possibly the Studio Backlot Tour, especially the Water Tank Portion at the begining. DH, Yourself, and the 2 D16 could all actually volunteer to be part of the show, which is a fun experience, and 10 and 12 would love to see you guys out there, all you have to do is talk to a Cast Member in the front of the attraction to set that up.

Otherwise, take your time and explore the park. Right now with your schedule you have 9 rides and lunch packed within a 5 hour block (Park open 9-2pm), which is optimistic with wait times at best. Here is my plan suggested for you

Arrive between 8:30-8:45 for the rope drop ceremony and grab yourself a Times guide and a park map, and head over to TSMM for a FP @ 9. From there you have 2 and a half hours until lunch, so either do not ride TSMM immediately (wait for the FP time) and go ride Coaster and Tower, and really try to get everyone to go on at least one of the two (Tower would be my choice), OR ride TSMM and stick close to that area doing attractions like Mermaid, Backlot, and Animation. By the time you do one of these options, it should be lunch time.

Right after lunch, head over to Light's Motors Action which will start at 1:20, but you should get there early for it at about 12:45-1:00. From there go with the other option you didn't choose before, or head over to the Muppet, Star Tours, Indy area and catch some shows there. See the Block Party bash @ 3, everyone should like that. If you go to Coaster area or Star Tours area after that, plan to see the next showing of the nearest show (Beauty and the Beast or Indy) and than plan to see the other one later, catching a few smaller rides in between at Narnia, OMD, or GMR. Look at your watch and realize that it is about 6pm already. Grab some dinner at a Counter Service restaurant like Backlot Express, or Pizza Planet, and from there go see that 7pm American Idol. From there, do the last of the stuff you wanted to do but didn't get to, and go see one of the Fantasmic! Shows if they are playing, if not go back to the Hotel and rest, bc you had a full day at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

#7 User is offline   njwdwfan 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:31 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I really wasn't sure how long the different attractions would take. The lunch at Brown Derby I think may be a mistake but DH really wants to go there, so we'll fit it in. Don't know if we'll be back for Fantasmic. There are 2 shows that night but we have an early day the next day.

We saw Indy last year and while we're big fans of the movies, we really weren't impressed with it, so we'll skip that this time and try Lights...

Thanks again for the advice.

#8 User is offline   jbwolffiv 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Photography and hockey

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:34 AM

I would add my opinion but I believe it has been well covered here already. Have a great trip! Where in Jersey are you from?
John

#9 User is offline   njwdwfan 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:40 AM

View Postjbwolffiv, on Jun 11 2009, 08:34 AM, said:

I would add my opinion but I believe it has been well covered here already. Have a great trip! Where in Jersey are you from?

We're from Fair Haven, small world huh? We lived in Aberdeen when we were first married in Wyndham Place.

#10 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:26 AM

If you do go to Fantasmic, go for the second showing as it will be easier to get into.

As for Streetmosphere, there is no posted schedule but you can ask the CM at the Tip Board for when a specific character will be out. Otherwise, there are acts on Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards throughout the day and there's usually at least one going on at any given time.

#11 User is offline   jbwolffiv 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Photography and hockey

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

View Postnjwdwfan, on Jun 11 2009, 11:40 AM, said:

We're from Fair Haven, small world huh? We lived in Aberdeen when we were first married in Wyndham Place.

Too funny! We looked at Wyndham when we got out of our apartment. Too funny!
John

#12 User is offline   squishybear 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney!!!

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:20 PM

Last time we were at the studios, we just sat on a bench on Sunset Boulevard waiting for the fantasmic! line to form.
We had finished our planning a bit early, but instead of lining up on the middle of the street, we just sat on a bench and enjoyed the streetmosphere performances they were giving.
You don't need to be the first person inside the fantasmic theatre, so take your time to enjoy that area of the park and all of its offerings.

Of course, don't wait too long or you won't get a spot! :(

#13 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:21 PM

I can't go w/o spending serious cash at Tatooine Traders
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#14 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:01 PM

Karen - I know I'm to late to add my two cents (more like 25 cents), but I would love to hear how you spent you day at the Studios.

I'm hoping to hear that you saw the Citizens of Hollywood. They are all very funny and talented people. Since you have teens they would enjoy them. They may really appreciate the Hollywood Public Works guys. They're the ones that ride around in the truck and look like plumbers.

I'm not a thrill seeker either, but I really do enjoy Tower of Terror. I actually makes me laugh and I'm about the biggest chicken ever. I go on Rock n Rollercoaster for my son, but otherwise I wouldn't miss it.

Tell us about your trip.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#15 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:36 AM

Only issue with getting a FP for TSM is that you miss Mr. Potato Head in the queue so I tell anyone who hasn't been on that ride before to make sure they go through standby at least once.
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users