#1 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:46 PM

STAR WARS WEEKENDS Episode I
Wednesday, JUNE 4, 2008
The Phantom Tourist
It is a period of travel. The Sith Family has downloaded the latest layout for Disney Hollywood Studios SWW and packed their bags. Having worked a full day, they are more than ready to abandon the reality that is their lives and once again assume the role of visitor to the great parks of Walt Disney World. Armed with the questions for the trivia games, the Sith races back to Disney World on Southwest Airlines....

Ok, day 1 was strictly a travel day for the three of us, Sith, Mrs. Sith and the young female Padawan. Our Flight was remarkable only in how quickly and smoothly everything went. No traffic to the airport, no hold ups at check in, a smooth quick boarding and flight. Even at baggage claim, the three bags we checked were among the first five to come out at baggage claim. Then a straight shot to the rental car section and within two minutes we were on our way to the Carribean Beach Resort. We were checked in to our room by 10:30 pm, without any holdups whatsover. The only problem with this day was that we had to plan it as a travel day (after work) so while we were glad to get down that evening, there really wasn't anything else we could do. Still we felt better about being at Walt Disney World then if we were still at home. So for all intensive purposes we were the PHANTOM TOURISTS on this day, with no one really knowing that once again the Sith were among them. (Sure it's over the top, but I chose to go in this direction and I'm going to stick with this no matter how bad it gets!)

STAR WARS WEEKENDS Episode II
Thursday, June 5th
Attack of the Clone Loving Sith Wife & Family
It is the day before Star Wars Weekends. The Sith Family, huge fans of Disney's Hollywood Studios, also has found itself repeatedly drawn to the Magic Kingdom. The basic plan for SWW already laid out, this is the day to experience everything NOT Star Wars. It is a day of rides, shopping and a date with CHAOS....

Our first real day to enjoy the WDW was spent at the Magic Kingdom. Now we didn't show up early. No we opted for a more reserved approach since we had just arrived the night before and would be getting up early for SWW on Friday. Of course we knew that one of our favorite rides, Pirates of the Carribean was closed (it closed that day!) for refurbishment, but there was still pleanty to do.

We started with something sweet at the Main Street Bakery :twisted: . This is a great way to start any day. Then it was on to rides. My daughter loves Big Thunder Mountain, so we made sure to head straight out for that. a turn on Haunted Mansion (another FAV) and a sitting with Philharmagic to get things started. The park was pretty busy, but not terrible. We hit the Tea Cups, the Motor Speedway, and just about anything that didn't have a long wait. My daughter nervously looked at Space Mountain, which she had never been on before, but the wait was too long so the 9 year old would have to wait. We kept a leisurely pace because we knew what Friday would be like.
Posted Image
When the heat started to get bad, we decided to go back to the resort and play in the pool (but not before grabbing a Mickey Bar :thumleft: ). We thought it better to relax and besides, we had dinner reservations that night at Ohana.

We were fortunate enough to be joined by Orlando's newest resident, StudiosCentral's own, Glenn for dinner on this night. Sure, he moved to Orlando and we made him go to dinner at a Hawaiian style place. Only a Sith could be this evil. :twisted: :thumright: Anyhow we had a great time catching up with Glenn and hearing about the big move east. The Padawan questioned him about Hawaiian entertainment and came away from the evening thinking Glenn had suffered a coconut injury during one of the regularly held neighborhood coconut races. For the record, while I admit to helping purpetuate this falsehood, Glenn did little to distance himself from this story. As a matter of fact, I just recounted this tale to my daughter as I put her to bed tonight and she wanted me to tell Glenn she wasn't very happy to find out that he was pulling her leg. Ahhh, my Padawan, allow me to introduce you to Glenn, aka CHAOS.

Anyway, the evening was great. I was even recruited to dance with the Padawan. Despite the deception, my daughter had a great time, and we very much enjoyed Glenn's company.

Posted Image
Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end and it was SWW eve, so it was back to the resort and off to bed for the Sith Family. We knew we would see Glenn on and off throughout weekends because he had (despite my reluctance) talked me into scheduling a lunch for StudiosCentral members on Saturday :salut: and that he would also be in attendance for Matt's special Dinner on Sunday. So there was a lot to do in the coming days, and everyone was ready to get SWW going!

.....NEXT, Return of the Sith :jedi:
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:09 AM

Nice start to the report and I love the photos. In regards to your ease of travel, flying on a Wednesday is a big part of that I believe. Flying Tues-Thur are the least crowded days in my experience.

#3 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:57 PM

QuickGold said:

Nice start to the report and I love the photos. In regards to your ease of travel, flying on a Wednesday is a big part of that I believe. Flying Tues-Thur are the least crowded days in my experience.

No doubt, but the quick pull off the baggage claim didn't hurt any. It was a full flight on the way down, so it was nice to feel that things were going my way... for a change.
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#4 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:06 PM

STAR WARS WEEKENDS Episode III
Friday, June 6th
Return of the Sith
It is a period of waiting in line. The Sith family has arrived at the park early, but not wildly early so as to be amongst the "campers" who are at the head of the lines. The divide and conquer plan is in full swing with the Dark Lord of the Sith and his Padawan in line for Jeremy Bulloch, while Mrs. Sith has taken her annual position in the Merchandise line. Both struggle to find shade in the MUSTAFAR heat that is rapidly building, hoping that the knowledge accumulated in the past will be enough to help them now.....

Finally, Star Wars Weekends, and the heat does not dissapoint. Right out of the gate you could tell it was going to be a hot day. My daughter was dressed in her Padme, MUSTAFAR outfit which I couldn't help but feel was appropriate in the heat. One of the neat things in the lines after having done this for a few years is seeing familiar faces. It isn't that everyone knows each other, but you just recognize some of the people. We found Glenn to be about 25 people ahead of my wife in the merchandies line, but otherwise can't say that I saw anyone I knew right off the bat. So as always we made new aquaintences with the people around us in line. The only dissapointment on this first day for me was that right off the bat they brought the lines into the park and periodically kept bringing them forward to the point where once the Storm Troopers came out for their morning routine, we were too far away and around the corner to even know about it. :x

With the lack of entertainment, my daughter took the opportunity to explore the smaller wildlife near the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular while we waited for our fast pass.
Posted Image
She was quite pleased with the tiny snail she found.

After getting our fast passes and finding where Mrs. Sith was in the merchandise we moved on to see where things stood for the Parade and Jedi Training Academy. The CM's that I talked to were suggesting getting into the Parade was like a Year of a Million Dreams type of thing (althought that isn't really how it is presented). Basically we struck out on the Parade for this fist day, but I did finally speak to someone who gave me a better idea of how things would be working, so Saturday looked like a better opportunity.

We did try for the first Jedi Training Academy. There is no real science here other then just trying to be noticed among the multitude of waiving and yelling kids.

Posted Image
Basically it is put the child on your shoulders, wait, make some noise and hope for the best. This failed to work the first time, but we did manage to come back later that day and get in. I guess the only dissapointment was that by that time, the Padawan had gotten hot and been taken out of costume.

So after our failed attempt, we made tracks for Star Tours (needed a quick ride after all that waiting), looked around at the available merchandise at Tattoine Traders and then met back up with Mrs. Sith. From there it was on to characters including Prince Caspian. We found the line for Darth Goofy, Princess Leia Minnie and Storm Trooper Donald, but it was incredibly long and we weren't up to more waiting.

Posted Image The only dissapointment here was that we would later find out that this was the best and only opportunity to get all three of them together unless you were there at the time of their change over. By Saturday, Goofy and Donald would work 20 minutes, Leia Minnie would take the next 20 Minutes and contrary to reports Jedi Mickey returned and he would take 20 minutes. The rotation would remain like this for the rest of the weekend.

Of course it's fun anytime the characters are around. I just love Goofy's boxers!!!

Posted Image

Donald looks great as a Storm Trooper. I think he needs to be given an honorary membership to the 501st, but then I'm not a member, so what do I know.

Posted Image

After the Great Movie Ride we went through the merchandise area so I could get a peak. While getting in there I used the information Glenn and my wife had found and ordered three of the four Big FIGs for this year. I just won't buy Jar Jar at that price, even if he is the ONLY ONE I don't have. Then we got some more water went back to JTA and get the Padawan in.

Posted Image This year was fun because it was the first time she had gotten to fight Darth Maul The only dissapointment was that we did not get a good shot of her during the epic battle. Too many people moving around, but she had a good time.

Posted Image

As soon as she was done turning the Sith away at JTA it was time for our fast pass with Jeremy Bulloch. The heat was starting to get to us so we decided this would be the last thing for SWW on this day.
Posted Image
It wasn't until after our meeting with Jeremy that we discovered he was also selling his book "Flying Solo". We missed this completely since it was on the other side of him from the line waiting to meet with him. So we left mildly happy with how things had gone on that first day, but struggling a little with the new layout of things. The event characters were now much more spread out, which was helping with traffic flow, but made it difficult to time meeting any charcaters much less find them.

After a small, AIR CONDITIONED nap, we set out for the Magic Kingdom (Extra Magic Hours that night) and dinner at Crystal Palace with Pooh and Friends.
Posted Image
Then it was off to as many rides as we could cram in. Big Thunder Mountain is fun at night, Haunted Mansion, walked all over the Swiss Family Robinson area and did our best to canvass the park. Then after several attempts where the line was just too long, very late, I did get the little one onto Space Mountain! She loved it, so now there is yet another milestone reached. All in all, a very good day, but there is much unfinished business at SWW including lunch and the big dinner.

POFQ May 16-19

#5 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:15 PM

I love the photos Colin. Where is the one with all of us and Minnie?

#6 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:36 AM

QuickGold said:

I love the photos Colin. Where is the one with all of us and Minnie?

Paitience my friend.... that was Saturday, which I hope to write about sooner than later (yes I'm dragging this out painfully).

POFQ May 16-19

#7 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:25 PM

Great report so far! I love reading your writing, it's always fun.

Matt, maybe by SWW 2009 he'll be finished with it :salut:

#8 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:11 PM

Figaro said:

Matt, maybe by SWW 2009 he'll be finished with it :salut:
:lol: Ouch....so true :lol:

I forgot which day we were at, my mistake.

#9 User is offline   gsonoda 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:I am a fan of hilarity.

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:18 PM

The Dark Lord of the Sith said:

Paitience my friend.... that was Saturday, which I hope to write about sooner than later (yes I'm dragging this out painfully).

Oh no...Saturday? *sigh* I have a feeling the word "CHAOS" will be used more than a few times. :?
Glenn

The reigning Star Wars Trivia Champion - 2008 and 2009

"Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic."

#10 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:30 PM

STAR WAR WEEKENDS Episode IV
Saturday, June 7th
A New ADR

It is a day of New Hope. The Sith Family returns to Disney's Hollywood Studios to correct the mistakes of the previous day. There are events to sign up for, people to meet up with and a lunch event that had been the idea of one Glenn Sonoda :salut: . With all the pieces in place, it was merely a question of setting everything in motion. It all depended on each piece doing its part. One misstep and there was no telling what might happen next. It was our only Hope....

Posted Image
I'd like to tell you that this is what I was looking at on that Saturday morning. I'd like to tell you that I took this picture. Alas, not so. Mrs. Sith did take this, but as for myself I was no where near here. Nope, you see the Sith Lord himself left the Carribean Beach Resort to bring the family in on this day, only to realize in his sleepy state that he had left the park passes at the Resort :spear: . At this point I had already recieved one message from StudioCentral's own Matt asking me if I was there yet, :king: and flustered by my foolish mistake I dropped the family off at the gate and ran back to the car. (Yes I know I could have done this differently, but I was not AWAKE yet! :sleep: ) I then drove back to the resort, got the passes and raced back to DHS.

NOTE: It is worth pointing out that the Carribean Beach Resort is very conveniently located near the DHS. This Sith gives it three thumbs up :thumleft: :thumleft: :)

Of course I remembered that I could have just gotten new Annual Passes made up at the Park Entrance... just about the time I pulled out my resort key to get into CBR. Of course by now that info was just too late. So by the time I raced back, and I did make very good time, the gates were being opened and people were being waived in just as I arrived. :x Thankfully Mrs. Sith video taped the Storm Trooper routine for me. But I can now admit, I never saw it myself.

Of course through all of this Matt caught the gist of what was going on and informed me that I could get the passes done there at the ticket booth. :evil: To quote Mr. Solo, "I've got a bad feeling about this!"

Immediately I was off to see if I could sign the little one up for the trivia and the Parade. Mrs. Sith went to get a fast pass for Daniel Logan. At the events table "we ran into some old friends" (Leia, Ep IV).

Posted Image It had been a few years since we had last seen Figaro's family, the last time being at a Star Wars Weekends #1 meet set up by Matt for the Website. With two young ones roughly the same age, it doesn't take long for everyone to quickly get comfortable again, much to everyone's amusement. Still this Sith is watching this carefully! :old2: It is mentioned that we have some openings for the lunch and Kim takes a reluctant wait and see approach. Ah a vet who understands that the future is tough to predict.

I've managed to sign my daughter up for the trivia only to then get her in the parade, which needs to meet about the same time as the trivia starts. :wacko: At this point we make the exectuive decision that the Parade would be the best choice since I knew by talking to Matt that there might be trivia for the children at the Dinner on Sunday. At this point we went off with Mr. Hochberg towards Star Tours where we met up with some new friends who braved the heat and went with the full costume. They looked impressive and made me once again wish that I would just go ahead and ignore the heat. But I am weak in the MUSTAFAR like conditions. Anyway, P8nsVAgrl's family looked great and it was fun meeting them.
Posted Image

After this, my Padawan, Matt and myself took a ride on Star Tours just to get things going a bit. We then all agreed that we wanted to see the new meet and greet area for Darth Goofy, Minnie Leia and S.T. Donald. We really wanted to get a picture with them. Upon arriving there we found that Jedi Mickey was now in fact part of the regular rotation.

Posted Image

Knowing that the line was going to be long no matter when we tried, we jumped in and waited for our opportunity... and waited... and waited. Matt put a Jedi Mind trick on the beverage stand and got some Free Water for the Sith Family. Ahh, the tricks of the pros. Then right before our opportunity to have pictures with Darth Goofy and S.T. Donald, the switch was on... POOF, they left and we had a solo (no pun intended) meet and greet with Leia Minnie. This is OK, but not what we were hoping for. I personally was feeling as though there was a repeating theme to this day. Anyway, Mrs. Sith opted to take the picture and we talked Matt into getting in on one of the shots. There was some confussion however as Minnie scolded Matt and I over our water cups. Apparently even in a Galaxy Far, Far Away, they are afraid of staining the whites. (Note: Laundry will not improve in the future) Minnie litterally made us go put our cups down before she would let us near her, so in the end we were a little dissorganized for our photo. I'll blame the pressure of the people waiting behind us.

Posted Image

Ok... I'm picking up the pace...

Next Mrs. Sith and the Padawan had to go to get ready for the Parade. Matt and I left for Wicket's Warehouse, where we knew Glenn was already in line for a meet with Star Wars author Troy Denning. At this time we also met up with Kathyj0. The lines alway present a great opportunity to talk about different things. The only problem was that time was getting away from me. The line wasn't moving very fast. :shock: --Ok no big suprise, but I wanted this autograph of my book and we had another copy that we wanted signed for someone else. I needed to get out for the Parade (which I got better on video then I did with the camera). Matt & Kathyj0 were kind enough to help me out by getting the autographs for me. I would have liked to have met Mr. Denning, but I can't thank those two enough for bailing me out. :(

The Parade went by quick, although the small spot of shade that I had found with a few other strangers moved even faster yet. The heat was ON! Immediately following the Parade it was time to meet up with my family, get back with Matt, Kathyj0, Glenn and his father. Then it was time to find the other participants in the Saturday LUNCH. This as you might guess would prove to be somewhat CHAOTIC (ding).

Yes, this plan for lunch went just as one might suspect it would if they put Glenn in the lead. Maybe it was the laid back Hawaiin approach. Maybe it was out of everyone's control.... no... it was left in the hands of CHAOS. What we had was a lunch start time, but no definative meeting place. A few of the participants it appeared would not be making it.... (ahem Blixit and Marrissa), so we had some holes in the reservation. Then we needed a head count. Matt volunteered to get this started. We took his head count and gave it to the hostess. Shortly there after the women in the group (Mrs. Sith, Kathy... and one other... ah yes Pittising- great girl!) pointed out that the head count was wrong. I asked Glenn if he knew what it should be (note: don't ask CHAOS). At this point we knew we had room for more people and were able to drag Figaro's family into the mix. This required another head count which apparently I couldn't do right either... as pointed out by the women. :evil: After giving the Hostess four different head counts in a ten minute time period, we opted to just keep our mouths shut and get seated... we'd figure it out later.

Lunch was a lot of fun. There were 15 of us I think (Glenn was in charge of the head count after we decided Matt was too distracted to do an adequate job). This was a blast except that one end of the table was too far away from the other to communicate. Seems like just the type of thing that Glenn might plan. Then my daughter, who at this point was sitting with Figaro's DS points out to the entire table that the lighting in Mamma Melrose's is "romantic". ------CHECK PLEASE-------- Everyone got a good chuckle out of her comment... except me. I was looking for a drink.

At the end of the meal we realized that everyone was on one check to that point. So our waiter had to break up the entire check by guests. Another oversight by the oversite committee. As I pointed out then to everyone, Glenn scheduled this meal. Chaos insued.

Despite the chaos, I did enjoy the company of Pitti-sing, Figaro's family (as long as the boy is at a safe distance from my padawan), Kathyj0, Glenn & his father during the meal. (The rest of you were too far away! Blame Chaos!) It was a great group of Disney fans!

After lunch it was back to work.
Daniel Logan is a FAV of my little one. She has now met him 3 times and her reaction hasn't changed. She gets very embarrassed when I point out to him what a fan she is. :oops:
Posted Image

After this I ran back to see Jeremy Bulloch and try and purchase his book. I was able to get one of the last two copies he had and meet his lovely wife. We had a very nice conversation about the event in general, then I asked her about the book. She told me that yes she could get me one of them and then dropped the price on me. The book was $60 cash. Partially because of who I was talking to and how long I had efforted this (your getting the condensed version) I agreed to pay the Bounty on this book. At that point I realized I might not have that much cash on me. Fortunately I found a crumpled $5 in my back pocket which gave me $61. I had it covered.

At this point it was 2:30 in the afternoon. We made plans to meet Matt and Marrissa later for the Behind the Force show @5pm, then went to the CBR to crash for a while.

Upon returning to DHS we finally met Ashoka.

Posted Image

Then met up with Matt and Marrissa. My daughter thinks Marrissa is just so sweet and pretty. She pointed out that she is very happy for you Matt!

We caught the Behind the Force program, which was interesting to me, because of the animation, but also was designed to whip up some enthusiasm for going to see the film in August.

Then it was off for photos with Storm Troopers and Darth Vader

Posted Image
At this point we were torturing Matt, Marrissa and Newell with our line waiting and photo ops.

Then it was finally time for the Hoopla. Now the Hoopla is corny fun. A good chance to see the SW characters in funny situations and such. This years was no exception with the dance off. Overall, I didn't go crazy for it, but the Darth Vader/Storm Troopers dance was hysterical in my opinion. Very well done. Overall this would grade out to be a "B".

With that our Saturday had ended. It was a day marred by problems that continued to produce great moments and fun. One big day remained. One more chance to experience SWW. Still that disturbance in the Force wasn't just that my daughter was looking forward to seeing Figaro's son at the dinner again... no that was troubling enough but there was still the sense that there was still something out of our control. Something ellusive. Even on Sunday, at Matt's big event you had to wonder what sort of chaos might be in store for everyone!

---Yes I know this is WAY TOO LONG.... It's almost over now.

POFQ May 16-19

#11 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:56 AM

Colin...Great report and fantastic photos. Pretty rough on Glenn though. Maybe next time you'll let an Italian plan lunch at an Italian restaurant. :)
I'm sure it was great. :(

#12 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:15 AM

Love the report Colin. I don't recall messing up the head count at Mama Melrose but I'm sure if I post to the contrary, everyone here will post how wrong I was so I'll just skip that and admit I was wrong (even if I don't remember it :) )

Saturday was a really fun day and I got to meet for the first time many folks from this site, which was a lot of fun. I wish you all could have been at Mama Melrose for the "romantic" comment that Colin's daughter made because it was the funniest (and cutest) thing I've heard in a long time. Once my wedding is over with, I'll have Marissa share notes with Ally :(

#13 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:53 PM

It was a good lunch, CHAOS notwithstanding. I hadn't eaten at Mama Melrose's for years, and the fried calimari was very acceptable. And Matt got another meal to include in his "Weekend of Ahi."

#14 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:44 PM

Jeanine said:

It was a good lunch, CHAOS notwithstanding. I hadn't eaten at Mama Melrose's for years, and the fried calimari was very acceptable. And Matt got another meal to include in his "Weekend of Ahi."
:D I'm an ahi tuna fanatic now

#15 User is offline   kathyj0 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Photography, Disney, Travel, Scuba

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:10 PM

QuickGold said:

Love the report Colin. I don't recall messing up the head count at Mama Melrose but I'm sure if I post to the contrary, everyone here will post how wrong I was so I'll just skip that and admit I was wrong (even if I don't remember it :D )

Um - yea - I think maybe you did. :joker:
Kathy

#16 User is offline   Pitti-sing 

• Studios Regular

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:53 AM

Hi,

Lunch was wonderful. Thanks so much for letting me tag along. And agree with Jeanine, I hadn't eaten there for years. It was much better than I remembered.

Now I just need to figure out how not to need two weeks to recover from my vacation. :mrgreen:

#17 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:16 AM

We should mention that we ran into Hope in line while waiting for an autograph at Wicket's Warehouse and invited her to join us for lunch, which was a welcome addition to our merry group :)

#18 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:32 PM

Due to circumstances beyond the Sith's control this trip report has been further delayed by ...well, my next trip. Tune in later for the far too drawn out conclusion to this tale. (If my computer hadn't been on the cranky side and my job would go away, I'd be done!)

Now... Disneyland.

POFQ May 16-19

#19 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:23 PM

STAR WAR WEEKENDS Episode V
Sunday, June 8th
StudiosCentral Strikes Back

For the past two years something has been missing from Star Wars Weekends. While it was obvious that the Force was strong with this event, there was room for more, and the Sith always want MORE. With the final day of Star Wars Weekends, weekend #1, the Webmaster from StudiosCentral.com has planned the ultimate fun. The sinister plan to flush out Star Wars and StudiosCentral.com fans/geeks/webheads would add something to this weekend that Disney could not have anticipated.... the one event that could possibly make up for the loss of the events from years gone bye. Armed with questions, the Sith Lord anxiously awaits this opportunity to go back stage and enjoy the magical world in this new Empire...

The early part of Sunday was really about relaxing and catching our breath. We went to Downtown Disney to go through the shops, pick up a gift or two, but otherwise slow our pace. We did stop at the Ghiredeli (sp) store where my wife talked me into purchasing some high dollar coffee, something I've stayed away from to this point. Let me just say that while in principle I can't stand the idea of the cost involved, if you ever get the chance, a Cafe Mocha from this little establishment is now what I consider a major element in the true power of the Darkside! As of today I have tried this several other places and can say that I still haven't had it as good as I tasted on that day.

We waited until later to go back to the park and look over the merchandise one last time. Some of the items I knew I couldn't purchase at this time, but wanted to look over one last time. I really wish I had taken the time to go with Matt to meet the artist involved with the watches this year. I did like to work there as well as the coin set.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I had to stay away from these items because I had already ordered three of the Big Figs from this year, although I knew they would not be available for several months. (I'm still waiting on them as of this writing and don't expect them anytime soon.)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Shortly following all of this was the main event, the StudiosCentral.com Star Wars Dinner. Matt did a great job with setting this up and getting it to come to reality. The dinner was in the backlot area over by Wickets Warehouse in a place called the Prop room. This contained all sorts of things from ABC tv shows, Disney shows as well as park events such as Parades and Star Wars Weekends. There was something everywhere you looked. In the center tables were set up throughout the room and a large Buffet was set up to start things off. Just as everyone was getting settled, three Storm Troopers entered the room and briefly interogated Matt to the amusement of everyone gathered. It was a fun, unexpected exchange that gave everyone a laugh. Then after a brief speech from our Webmaster, it was time to eat. At my table I had Mrs. Sith, my daughter, Pitti-sing (Hope), Glenn (aka CHAOS), Glenn's Father, Kathy whom we were glad we could force her to join us, ACP (Andrew) and one other young Man who for the life of me I can't remember his name, Jordan? (Please forgive me for not remembering, names are my weakness!) Andrew had literally just gotten in from England so we had some fun discussing his arrival and where his internal clock was currently set at. Later we were joined by Marissa who my family was glad to see again. I really enjoyed everyone at this table. What a great group of Disney Fans, and since Glenn and I had nothing to do with planning this event, CHAOS was held in check. :old2:

Really a big part of the success of this evening was the wonderful people who came out for it. The total enjoyment of sitting down and exploring the common interests everyone has in Star Wars (OK, Kathy was trying hard here), Disney and the parks just made it a very easy way to have a great time. That was the true mark of the success for this event. Hearing the stories of Hope getting picked up in the early morning hours to get in line for autographs, the latest on Toy Story Mania and what sort of problems they were encountering, not to mention the LONG wait times. It was a lot of fun! But there was still more to come.

Matt had quietly decided that one of the things we would do at this event was a Trivia Contest, one each for the children and the adults. Matt wanted to keep this quiet to be a suprise. To help, I volunteered to put together the questions for this which in turn (by my own doing) took me out of participation. We started with the kids trivia, which I had worried about making too difficult in the case of there being some children that were not ...well.... that strong in the Force. Quickly the audience found out that I was wrong about this as we went from question to question with all of the children getting them right. Matt kept looking over at me in a -these are going to get harder soon right?- kind of way, and with things starting to get chaotic, I think we finally skipped ahead some. Finally we started to get some of the children to miss a few, including my Padawan, who looked at me when she messed up and let me know I shouldn't have had a question like that on the list. :spear: Ahhhh, good little Sith. In the end, the winner was the son of StudiosCentrals own Figaro (Kim)! It was fun to see him win and go over the prizes. He was very kind to my daughter and shared one of the prizes with her that he was sure wouldn't survive at this home, an inflatable chair. (I'm watching that boy!!! :evil: ) Each of the children were given a goody bag of prizes for participating and all went away having a good time.

Next was the adult Trivia. This amusingly enough started out like the childrens trivia with the adults standing tall in the line of questioning. I guess I was just being too easy on everyone. Finally we kicked up the level of difficulty and started weeding people out only in the end to find out that in fact CHAOS would reign supreme. The winner turned out to be StudiosCentral's own Glenn Sonoda. :shock: Unbelieveable! Matt gave away several great prizes to the top three contestants and really did a great job. Still, Chaos the winner!?! I couldn't have been happier for him, but I have vowed that if such an opportunity every presents itself again, I'm playing.... It's game on!!! Sith vs. Chaos! (I didn't know the prizes were going to be that cool. I've been kicking myself ever since!)

After the trivia we mingled for a short while more. I met several more members of the posting community, some that we talked into going on the trip during a chat (OK there were at least three of you there) and others who didn't need as much convincing like our own .el_strategista. I know one from the former group who should have participated in the trivia contest, but she shall remain nameless. (You know who you are ahem....-cough- Kara-!) :mrgreen:

The event was a big success in my minds eye. It was a little bit of everything. Not all Star Wars (there's always room for more Star Wars!) and not all Disney. I'd love to think this might happen again, but 2009 is a ways off. Great job Matt! :old:

As we were getting ready to leave Figaro's son and my daughter sought out Kim and I to BEG for a trip to the Magic Kingdom. We had already planned to close out our last evening with the Extra Magic Hours offered there and apparently the little ones were going to take full advantage of the opportunity. Matt as usual found this very ammusing as did Kim, Marissa and my wife. I found this somewhat less amusing than the others :? , but hey, what could a Sith do? Anyway, at this point the two children are on their knees begging at my feet, (this works well for me) and with Kim's husband offering to take the youngest child back to the resort, the remaining five of us agreed that we could make this work and piled into our rental car, heading out for a night at the Magic Kindom! There was no telling what might come of this.

To be continued..... :)

POFQ May 16-19

#20 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:12 AM

Nice summary of the dinner event Colin. The whole dinner event went exceedingly well and I had a great time. I'm looking forward to a future Colin vs. Glenn trivia contest.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users