Studios Central: Anyone get the D23 Mag yet? - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone get the D23 Mag yet?

#1 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

I just laid out the $16 for this. Anyone else? I wrote a review on Mouse Extra
http://www.mouseextra.com/2009/04/07/new-d...ations/#respond

I thought it wasn't worth the cash
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#2 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:09 PM

I got it with my membership, and I found it completely worth the cash. No ads, twice the size of another industry publication I get for just 25% more in price (and the other one is, no joke, 35% ad pages). It had a little something for every type of Disney fan; movies, animation, theme park, restaurants, horticulture, etc.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through reading it, and I find it money well spent, for me.

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#3 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:16 PM

Interesting blog post. Thanks for posting it!

A couple questions...

1) What could they ever write that you would consider non-promotional? I mean, by the terms you set forth, any discussion about an upcoming or current project would be seen as promotional; does that mean you would only view something that was written about that doesn't exist anymore as non-promotional?

2) You consider Celebrations as an alternative publication, and call attention to the fact it is independent. As a indie, it will never be able to truly have an exclusive behind the scenes look, never be able to offer any absolutely new content, never be able to unearth any lost or hidden gems from Disney history. All they (or any other unofficial production) will be able to showcase is what is already released, and perhaps retold form a different outside perspective.

But Celebrations could never do photos from within the archives. or do an exclusive first look for Up. All they would get is the standard press-release verbiage and rehearsed answers to predetermined questions, like the rest of the world's press.

#4 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:30 AM

YoPaulie said:

Interesting blog post. Thanks for posting it!

A couple questions...

1) What could they ever write that you would consider non-promotional? I mean, by the terms you set forth, any discussion about an upcoming or current project would be seen as promotional; does that mean you would only view something that was written about that doesn't exist anymore as non-promotional?

2) You consider Celebrations as an alternative publication, and call attention to the fact it is independent. As a indie, it will never be able to truly have an exclusive behind the scenes look, never be able to offer any absolutely new content, never be able to unearth any lost or hidden gems from Disney history. All they (or any other unofficial production) will be able to showcase is what is already released, and perhaps retold form a different outside perspective.

But Celebrations could never do photos from within the archives. or do an exclusive first look for Up. All they would get is the standard press-release verbiage and rehearsed answers to predetermined questions, like the rest of the world's press.

As to your questions,

1. I identified certain articles that were not. Histories of attractions and studios. Archives stuff. Looks at specific animators etc etc. I don't want a mag about the next movie, or broadway show, etc etc. I know its subtle but mostly its about the tone of the articles really. Again, I don't mind some self-promotion as I defined it just not too much

2. What you say is true about the limitations of Celebrations, but they also have the "advantage" of not being beholden to Disney and needing to "tow the company line" They are also more limited in scope
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#5 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for the reply!

MJMcBride said:

1. I identified certain articles that were not. Histories of attractions and studios. Archives stuff. Looks at specific animators etc etc. I don't want a mag about the next movie, or broadway show, etc etc. I know its subtle but mostly its about the tone of the articles really. Again, I don't mind some self-promotion as I defined it just not too much

Ah, from my point of view, I look forward to the behind the scenes of future and current projects. Something like the Blue Sky Cellar at DCA would be AWESOME for me at WDW... and I'd say that Blue Sky Cellar is the same thing; one could say it's just a big commercial. I DO want an article about the next movie, the next show, the next attraction, in a way that only Disney can grant access internally.

#6 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:00 PM

I am not fundamentally opposed to some self-promotion. I suppose my biggest beef is the price which is essentially 25 cents a page
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#7 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:27 AM

Which, having worked as a studio manager for an ad agency, likely is the cost of printing that size paper, with full bleed color, and including the embossing and binding glue/fold, THEN placing into a plastic sleeve with the silver sticker.

And shipping the oversized item in a non-bendable perforated cardboard that generally won't be able to fit into mailboxes.

Now, I could see the argument that the copy at Barnes & Noble copies shouldn't cost as much, since they're not home shipped.

I subscribe to Cinefex, a quarterly special effects trade publication. It's 112 pages, but 30 pages are ads. It's $12.50, so I get 82 pages ad free, which is 15 per page. and the book is half the size of D23. Just for a comparison... it is pretty on the money from a price point. I think more the issue is that most folks aren't up to speed on industry publication pricing... rather are used to commercial magazines, in content, style, size, advertising, and pricing.

#8 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:31 AM

even if I concede that Disney is justified in the enormous price tag, I still say the item is not worth it
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#9 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:15 PM

Perfectly fine opinion, of course!

#10 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

YoPaulie said:

Perfectly fine opinion, of course!

but, of course, good sir
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users