Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Outside the Park - Where to Go??? Trip Planning

#1 User is offline   Mouseoholic 

• Studios Newbie
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:20 PM

On our 4 trips to the world, we have never spent a day outside the parks. This year, we have made it a goal to do something different. We have 1 day where we are going to rent a car and drive...... :o :blink:

I want to do the space center but we are saving this for next year when we go with friends who have kids.

So, if you are native to Florida, where should we go? I really want to see the Florida beaches and water. My father mentioned St. Augustine. We could drive to Daytona and then head up to St. Augustine. The trip seems to be about 120 miles one way. What do you think? We have reservations for Chef Mickey’s and then will head out for the day. Sometime around 9:30 a.m. How is traffic at that time?

We really like small, quaint towns. Maybe some fishing and neat shops. Any other ideas?

#2 User is offline   IHeartTheStudios 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:39 AM

Sarasota is nice. It's not a small town but they have a neat little area near the beach with great restaurants and cool stores.

If you want a nice beach Caladesi State Park is amazing. Not a lot of people know about it so you don't get huge crowds. You have to take a ferry to get there but it's totally worth it. Google it.

#3 User is offline   IHeartTheStudios 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:40 AM

Forgot to add that I do think your first instinct of St Augustine is a good one especaill for what you described you liked.

#4 User is offline   Mouseoholic 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:52 AM

Thanks. What about the traffic? I do have a gps and can check the traffic via my phone but it is not always that reliable. I have been in heavy traffic and my phone did not pick it up. Also, is it a fast drive or a very slow one? Here in Texas we can drive 75 without getting a ticket... :rolleyes:

#5 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:52 AM

I dont think the traffic to St Augustine will be a major problem for you. We went to St Augustine earlier this summer and it is a neat little town and great for a day trip.

#6 User is offline   Mouseoholic 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:05 PM

Thanks! :rolleyes:

#7 User is offline   Crawford 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:42 PM

A place I have to recommend, even though it probably fits in better with your trip to the Space Center: Dixie Crossroads. It's a locally owned/operated restaurant in Titusville, and either the owners are local fishermen or have close ties to them. To give you an idea, the first time I was there was 23 years ago, I was there just last year, and it's still wonderful. Try the rock shrimp -- they're like tiny little lobster tails.

#8 User is offline   Mouseoholic 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:39 PM

View PostCrawford, on Oct 6 2009, 12:42 PM, said:

A place I have to recommend, even though it probably fits in better with your trip to the Space Center: Dixie Crossroads. It's a locally owned/operated restaurant in Titusville, and either the owners are local fishermen or have close ties to them. To give you an idea, the first time I was there was 23 years ago, I was there just last year, and it's still wonderful. Try the rock shrimp -- they're like tiny little lobster tails.

Thanks for the information. Believe it or not, we are already planning next year's trip so we will put that on the agenda!!!! I am a big planner :rolleyes: Our next trip is for 10 days (63 days whoohoo!!) and I have a very detailed schedule. I love planning.......

#9 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:48 PM

I love your avatar, Mouseoholic! My sister used to have a poster of that hanging in her room when we were kids. Good times.

#10 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:19 AM

This is just a personal thing, but I'd love to visit the Pro Golf Hall of Fame in St. Augustine.

#11 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:47 AM

St. Augustine has a lot of great things to see. Check out the spanish fort (similar in design to the one that Imagineers based Pirates of the Caribbean off of in Puerto Rico), Flagler College, various shops around town and of course the beaches.

There's also other things that are best described as tourist traps, such as the fountain of youth or the haunted tours, but they're all in good fun.

#12 User is offline   Mouseoholic 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:55 PM

Mr. TheInfrequentVisitor....I love my avitar too :( .......me and my husband are just two peas in a pod and it represents us well. This past year I finally convinced him to pass over to the dark side....Disney that is... This year was his turn to pick our anniversary destination. I was shocked when he selected WDW again......and wanted to take my parents too. So yep, it represents us well... :lol:

QuickGold. The Spanish Fort is what interested us in St. Augustine along with the beaches. We get teased so much because we have been to WDW so many times and have never been to the coast. I will feel vindicated when I bring my little bottle of sand back. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :jedi:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users