• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Studios Secrets

#81 User is offline   Skippy 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

I've got another GMR detail unnoticed:

*In the Warner Bros. “Underworld” scene there is a bunch of crates, near the area where your gangster hijacks your tour, that read Gold Shield Whiskey. These are the crates of whiskey that Cagney and Bogart stole from a government warehouse in "The Roaring Twenties (1939)."

Sorry it's taking me so long but I haven't been to WDW in a couple years and I won't be able to get there for quite a while longer. I'm going by what ever pictures pop up on the net and if there were more pictures available of details on the ride, I'd be able to tell you these references a lot quicker (you'd be surprised how much pictures are just of the same thing and how much area of the ride you can't find anything on).

I'll continue to keep a look out!

Skippy

#82 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:57 PM

Thanks Skippy, I'll try to take a picture of these crates on my next trip to the Studios (sometime this weekend)

#83 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:18 PM

QuickGold said:

on my next trip to the Studios (sometime this weekend)

Great. . . Mugsy will be so pleased to hear your in his area again. . .

#84 User is offline   Skippy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:46 PM

I've found more GMR details unnoticed:

*In the "Western" scene, you exit the town by going into a livery stable, and it has painted words reading Todd's Livery Stable. This is where a fistfight erupts between the marshall & deputy of Hadleyville, played by Gary Cooper and Lloyd Bridges, in the film High Noon (1952).

*In the "Western" scene there is a bank, the one that the bandit is robbing, and it's called Miner's & Cattleman's Bank. This is the name of the Tonto Bank, that bank owner Henry Gatewood embezzles money from and takes the fateful Stagecoach out of town in John's Fords masterpiece, Stagecoach (1939).

If the area was based on the movie Stagecoach (1939), it's not, than the bandit would find the bank already empty and the sherif out of town (that would be an interesting turn of events).

Still looking for more :D

Skippy

#85 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 12 January 2008 - 04:57 PM

You sure the Gold shield boxes are from the Roaring Twenties? Cause we have a photo of Cagney and Bogart standing in front of those boxes from Hollywood Gangsters.

And no. The western area is just a collection of films. There is no set movie that its from.
Professionals admit to the problem. Alcoholics claim they have no problem.

Field Agent Indy reporting for the next World Showcase Mission

#86 User is offline   Skippy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:34 PM

^Yep. I also wanted to say Receiving 17 (located behind the crates) is the warehouse from the movie but I wasn't to sure about that one, so I took note until I can double check later.

BTW, is the image below the one you were referencing?

Posted Image

If not, here is a link to some photos that prove what movie that publicity shot is for:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/15...esPictures.html

I'll keep everyone updated :D

Skippy

#87 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:37 PM

No, I forgot to mention there is another guy in the photo we have (Forgot his name, on your link, it's the first photo)

I believe that the warehouse (at least where squid and beans are at) is from Public Enemy.

#88 User is offline   Skippy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:37 PM

IndyandMarion said:

No, I forgot to mention there is another guy in the photo we have (Forgot his name, on your link, it's the first photo)

Yep, that's Frank McHugh (one of my favorite character actors with a VERY distinctive laugh). He played Cagney's best friend in The Roaring Twenties (1939). In relevance to GMR, he was also with Cagney in Footlight Parade (1933). Cagney and him were real life friends and were in quit a few movies together. James Cagney, Frank McHugh, Frank Morgan (the Wizard of Oz), Ralph Bellamy, Spencer Tracy, Lynne Overman, and Pat O'Brien were all a group of actor friends that Hollywood referred to as the Irish Mafia.

IndyandMarion said:

I believe that the warehouse (at least where squid and beans are at) is from Public Enemy.

If it is I have the DVD so I can check (all I need is a clear pic) :D

Skippy

Edit: I just watched The Public Enemy again and found another detail.

*In the Warner Bros. "Underworld" scene there is a garage, the one that the car drives out from (when working), and it's called the U Drive Garage. This is the name of the garage that Putty Nose walks out from right before being whacked by Cagney in The Public Enemy (1931).

#89 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:30 AM

I'm going to try to take a bunch of photos of these references for the site. I'll start this afternoon when I give Mugsy a visit

#90 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:45 PM

*I was wrong, "Pier 17" which is what we've been talking about, is not from PE, just some random spot in the area the scene is set in.

And Matt, better be lucky you came at the time you did. Mugsy wasn't in the best of moods today, which is saying something. *Apparently Weasel tried to take him out at the Red Oaks last night*

I trust you got some good photos today? (Hopefully you managed to get a good one of the credits)
*If you need any photos, just drop me a line, I'm sure I can dig something up from the collection*

#91 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:13 PM

I got three of the photos. The issue was taking photos without flash so although I took photos of everything I wanted to, only three of the photos came out :notamused:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#92 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:14 PM

Ill talk to Mugsy, see if I can arrange something. . .

#93 User is offline   Skippy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:31 AM

IndyandMarion said:

*I was wrong, "Pier 17" which is what we've been talking about, is not from PE, just some random spot in the area the scene is set in.

I don't mean to sound like a prick but I think you mean the area might be Pier 13 and the warehouse is Receiving 17, maybe?

Skippy

#94 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:54 AM

Realize now I didn't mention that. The way I worded it (and in my head) was that "Pier 17/Recieving 17" was the same thing, Both are just Pier 13. I don't really pay attention. I've got too much other things going on at that point.

#95 User is offline   Skippy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:24 PM

Finally got another detail:

*In the "Western" scene, there is a building with the name Madison & Co. General Supplies. This is where the first shot was fired between the town Marshall and the villain Frank Miller, in the film High Noon (1952).

Great pictures from GMR can be seen on the WDWMagic Photo Album submitted by member imagine_82.

SKippy

#96 User is offline   IHeartTheStudios 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:12 PM

Skippy said:

I thought the finale and tornado scene was nixed either 1) The contract they signed for The Wizard of Oz was for ONLY 3 minutes and the added scenes exceeded their limit or 2) The special F/X used for the tornado scene was copy righted by the original artist and they couldn't get the rights to use it. Those are the rumors!

Also, I have another to add the the GMR list:

*In the Warner Bros. “Underworld” scene there is a sign above a garage that reads Red & Blue Cab Co. This is the name of the cab company that James Cagney owned on the side, in addition to his bootlegging business, in "The Roaring Twenties (1939)."

Can't get enough of Cagney :)

Skippy

The tornado scene was nixed because execs that rode the ride before it opened asked the obvious question- Why are there no disney movies in a ride called the Great Movie Ride??? So they got rid of the tornado and added Fantasia instead.

The other two things are rumors that get swirled around but it had nothing to do with contracts or rights.

#97 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:25 PM

Um. No. It was due to contracts. 3 minutes of material is all Disney was allowed to use.

#98 User is offline   Croaker 

• Studios Regular

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:32 PM

Thought i would try something and it worked. so here are the above pic's with a bit more light added.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#99 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:36 PM

Thanks Croaker

#100 User is offline   Blixzit 

• Studios God

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:22 PM

I always adjust the brightness and contrast settings of the pictures I take. It makes the colors pop more.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users