Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Aladdin

#1 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 06 October 2004 - 12:25 PM

I watched the Aladdin DVD last night with my sister and I forgot alot about the movie. There are so many more jokes I picked up on compared to when I saw it in 1992. My favorite line:

Abu picks up a sword
Guard 1: Look out, he's got a sword!
Guard 2: You idiot, we've all got swords!
:P

#2 User is offline   DisneyFreak1228 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 October 2004 - 02:04 PM

QuickGold said:

I watched the Aladdin DVD last night with my sister and I forgot alot about the movie. There are so many more jokes I picked up on compared to when I saw it in 1992. My favorite line:

[i]Abu picks up a sword]
Guard 1: Look out, he's got a sword!
Guard 2: You idiot, we've all got swords!
:P

I was 8 when it came out in '92, and even I picked that joke up. :roll:
We already have it on VHS from when I was little, so we're not bothering to buy it on DVD just for the extra crap. It's such a waste of $15.
*Leslie Ivette*

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 06 October 2004 - 03:03 PM

DisneyFreak1228 said:

It's such a waste of $15.

I think it's worth it. The Platinum line of DVD's that come out by Disney are always good values and I enjoy them.

#4 User is offline   mandabella 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Interests:Disney, musicals, and jewelry

Posted 06 October 2004 - 03:49 PM

QuickGold said:

DisneyFreak1228 said:

It's such a waste of $15.

I think it's worth it. The Platinum line of DVD's that come out by Disney are always good values and I enjoy them.

I agree with you Matt. The Disney Treasure sets and the Platinum sets are some of the few DVDs that are worth buying. Especially if your old VHS copies are worn out and/or your VCR player had died.

#5 User is offline   Tinkerbell2004 

• Studios God
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:DISNEY

Posted 06 October 2004 - 04:18 PM

It has clay aiken i would play an extra 15 dollars just to hear that song

#6 User is offline   DisneyFreak1228 

• Studios God

Posted 06 October 2004 - 04:31 PM

mandabella said:

Especially if your old VHS copies are worn out and/or your VCR player had died.

That hasn't happened, which is why I think it's a waste.
*Leslie Ivette*

#7 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:17 PM

VHS is so 1985.

Tinkerbell2004 said:

It has clay aiken i would play an extra 15 dollars just to hear that song

That, however, is a reason not to buy the DVD :blink:

#8 User is offline   TinkerBell1981 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Interests:Tinker Bell, Florida Marlins, anything Disney

Posted 15 October 2004 - 08:32 AM

I haven't watched the DVD yet. Maybe tonight I'll buy some popcorn and watch it with my bf.

#9 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 15 October 2004 - 11:53 AM

TinkerBell1981 said:

Maybe tonight I'll buy some popcorn and watch it with my bf.

Forget him, just wait for me to come down :(

#10 User is offline   TinkerBell1981 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Interests:Tinker Bell, Florida Marlins, anything Disney

Posted 15 October 2004 - 04:29 PM

QuickGold said:

TinkerBell1981 said:

Maybe tonight I'll buy some popcorn and watch it with my bf.

Forget him, just wait for me to come down :(

Why? So I can throw popcorn at you? :D

#11 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 15 October 2004 - 06:38 PM

TinkerBell1981 said:

Why? So I can throw popcorn at you? :D

Hey, if that's what turns you on ;) I know, I know....we have a Rollie Pollie Ollie icon here....let's keep this G rated :(

#12 User is offline   velvetdrug 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 19 October 2004 - 11:33 PM

I got my Alladin DVD yesterday. I think it was worth the money. I love the behind the scenes stuff.

For those who don't know, Mulan comes out next tuesday.

#13 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 20 October 2004 - 11:49 AM

velvetdrug said:

Mulan isn't a Platinum series DVD, which means it doesn't get the royal treatment that Alladin, Beauty & Snow White have. I'd save your money until the Platinum Series DVD comes out.

#14 User is offline   velvetdrug 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 20 October 2004 - 12:46 PM

QuickGold said:

velvetdrug said:

Mulan isn't a Platinum series DVD, which means it doesn't get the royal treatment that Alladin, Beauty & Snow White have. I'd save your money until the Platinum Series DVD comes out.

No, its not Platinum. But it was only released once before and it was just the plain movie. This new one has alot of extras.

From a review on Mouseplant.com:

"Disney has recently gone on this wonderful binge of cranking out double-disc special editions for many of its more popular titles, both animated and live action. Sure, it is mostly so they can move to the high-definition DVD format and sell HD-DVD versions of all this stuff again in a few years, but I will appreciatively take what I can now and wait for the HD-DVD war to settle down. Mulan was originally released on DVD a few years ago as a “movie-only” title under the old Gold Collection moniker, and now it has been given a far superior treatment, nearing the Platinum Collector's editions. This two-disc set includes all the things I would expect for a special edition, and even though some of them are not quite as deep as those on a Platinum title, this set has something for everyone in the family.

Disc One primarily contains the movie, but it features a surprisingly decent variety of bonus material. There are a few so-so items on this disc, including a deleted song, sung by the composer Matthew Wilder, and four music videos, which neither my young boys nor I particularly cared for. However, the deleted scenes are an interesting look at some of the directions the production team was going in before they reached the final version on the screen, and my boys enjoyed watching Mushu host the rather short Disney Pedia, which explores aspects of ancient China.

There is also a cute two-minute “Pop-Up Video” type of segment that pops up quirky trivia over a collection of behind-the-scenes video clips put to “True to Your Heart,” sung by Stevie Wonder. Additionally, much to my boy's disappointment—but not necessarily mine—there are no set top games on either of these discs.

Promotional image © Disney.

Of particular interest to me was the audio commentary, featuring Pam Coats, producer, Tony Bancroft, director, and Barry Cook, director. It is both educational and entertaining. As with most of the recent Disney commentaries, the trio intertwines interesting aspects of the production process with humorous anecdotes about certain people, places, or things that influenced the movie. It is well worth a listen.

Disc Two is where a lot of the serious behind-the-scenes stuff resides. There are a bunch of things to sift through on this disc, including a number of great still-frame art galleries, storyboard-to-film comparisons, and featurettes. The best place to start, though, is the “Discovering Mulan” featurette, which takes you behind the scenes of the production, and it does a nice job of introducing many of the aspects that helped shape the direction of the movie.

There is also an interesting narration of the Mulan legend called, “The Ballad of Hua Mulan,” which is accompanied by beautiful production artwork. In the “Finding Mulan” featurette, you get a glimpse of the early designs for Mulan, and you also see how her character developed through various storylines to the one in the film.

Finally, one of the things I love about special editions is the examination of the art designs behind the film. It is fascinating to see how the animation style and artwork we see in the final film develops from a wide variety of artist's conceptual drawings, sketches, paintings, and so on. In the “Art Designs” section of the disc, there are a few featurettes that nicely explore how the production team approached the design and development of the characters and artwork, and it is always interesting to see how various people artistically interpret a subject.

The “Ballad of Color” featurette and digital production featurettes are well worth watching, as they discuss the use of color in the movie and the development and execution of the impressive computer animated scenes."

#15 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 20 October 2004 - 05:40 PM

I'm sure it has extra features, but what you get in the Platinum Series is always better than what you get in other DVD releases. Obviously if you want the movie because you like it, go for it.

#16 User is offline   velvetdrug 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 21 October 2004 - 01:15 AM

well i'm partial to mulan, because it was made at MGM. sounds corney, but anything mulan, stitch, or brother bear i enjoy

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users