Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fantasmic! premières at Tokyo DisneySEA And it's pretty awesome

#1 User is offline   acp 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:13 PM

Last night (28th April - local time.. I know a lot of the world isn't quite there yet ;)), Tokyo DisneySEA reopened after the earthquake last month, and also premièred their re-imagining of Fantasmic! - and it was quite a re-imagining.

I managed to find a full video of the show (in HD, no less!) on YouTube this afternoon. It's in two parts. They're also in HD if you pick it on the YouTube page (up to 1080p, no less!)

Part one
Part two

I'll let you watch those, then I'll give you my thoughts.

[time passes..]

OK, now you're back with me, a few thoughts of mine. Generally, I thought it was pretty awesome. It's bright, colourful and entertaining. Just what you need in a Disney spectacular.

I'm not entirely convinced on the Stitch portion, although I do understand that Stitch is pretty huge in Japan, so I'll let them off.

I had wondered how they'd solve the 'problem' that due to the layout of Tokyo DisneySEA, the show would need to be viewable from 360 degrees around it, and I think they've done it well. I quite like the "sorcerer's hat" screen in the middle of the lake. I also thought the magic mirror and maleficent dragon arrangement was very well done. The use of the park's main "icon", Mt. Prometheus, was also nicely done.

All in all, I think Tokyo Disney Resort have done a pretty awesome job of taking Fantasmic! as we know it and re-imagining it. Perhaps Disney's Hollywood Studios can take a few notes and maybe introduce one or two pieces of the new tech from the Tokyo version over in Florida.

Andy. :)
Andy.
Former Disney-MGM Studios Cast Member.

Studios Central Worlds Apart Column

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users