• You cannot reply to this topic

Fantasmic Schedule

#41 User is offline   squishybear 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney!!!

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

I completely agree Matt.
I think there were many other things they could have done that wouldn't have such impacts on crowds. Of course, I don't have the cost budget for everything in DHS, but I think that they figured Fantasmic just cost quite a bit so cutting it would be an easier way that cutting little bits in several areas.
Like Matt said, you need to keep the guests in the park and spending money. There really is no incentive for guests to stay now for dinner for example. They might go somewhere else, and in the worst case off-property.
Disney runs on all that extra revenue, and cutting Fantasmic is just making Disney's financial situation worse.

#42 User is offline   Eric 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

I totally agree with Matt as well. It would be interesting to know how much exactly Fantasmic costs, especially when compared to nightly shows like Illuminations and Wishes.

I'm quite certain there are other areas the parks could cut to save money that would not have as much of an impact on park guests.
Eric
www.MouseGuest.com

"Universal is like Wal-Mart with roller coasters."
- Buzz Ardman to Paige Turner, 11/1/08

#43 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

The other issue here is that we're not seeing cuts in Wishes and Illuminations.

Not every cut actually works. While this may save some on labor and pyro costs, it may wind up costing more in terms of guests staying longer in the parks and possibly reduce a guest's desire to return in the future. I've heard of many cases where a trip is cancelled altogether because of entertainment cutbacks.

#44 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

DisneyNut2009 said:

darthstich said:

It looks like the execs that made the decision to cut back F! may be regretting it. This past monday they added an extra show to the schedule... an hour and a half after the park closed. I think they may be realizing that they made a mistake

Allow me to interject some much-needed reason into this discussion...

These slams against the Fantasmic cuts have been ticking me off to no end. Everything happens for a reason...and the reason for the Fantasmic cuts IS because of our economy being in the horrendous state that it's in right now.

If it weren't for the recession, the show would continue to run every night 365 days a year like it mostly has since its 1998 opening.

Remember: Fantasmic is a VERY expensive show. So, it was either reduce the number of weekly performances or cut down on the show's quality.

So, this is not a good time to be slamming the company.

Reason has very little to do with it IMO. We all know times are tough, but there is a quality that guests expect from Disney, and cutting THE most popular nighttime attraction back just doesn't live up to the standard. These cuts are poorly thought out, and they almost seem like they throw darts at a board to choose the days. The Studios, honestly, struggles the most of the four park because it is the smallest first of all, and because over half of the attractions are closed several hours before the park closes. We need the nighttime entertainment to keep guests in the park.

I think the general agreement is they made a mistake cutting fantasmic, and there was other areas they could have cut, and what makes it worse is they did anyways after that. I do feel that eventually we will see Fantasmic at 7 days again, and the only reason they haven't is the stubborn suits that make decisions on the attractions.

Super busy times like Easter/Spring Break and Christmas, the suit completely let go of the reigns and let Disney do it there way, and look what happened, Two full weeks of F! at 7 Days a week, and no F! is running 3 Days a week, which is better than two, but still not good enough.

I think Star Wars Weekends will be a real thorn in the side of these suits if they don't have F! every night, bc SWW regulars are some of the best complainers (in a good way) and they tend to yield results, not to mention that SWW IS DHS's BIGGEST event. I'm interested in seeing how that goes this year, and i hope my fellow Star Wars/Disney fans will be able to give us the extra "force" (sorry couldn't resist the pun) we need to get F! at 7 days again.

#45 User is offline   IHeartTheStudios 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:57 PM

Fantasmic is a LOT more expensive than either Wishes or Illuminations.

And no, no one is throwing at a dartboard to pick cuts. Yes, they could have cut other places but it likely would have meant cutting people's jobs

#46 User is offline   darthstich 

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:03 PM

IHeartTheStudios said:

And no, no one is throwing at a dartboard to pick cuts. Yes, they could have cut other places but it likely would have meant cutting people's jobs

They did anyways though... That's why i'm even more heated about this now. I know the next response is that it may have meant more jobs, but 1,400 or 2,800, there is still people looking for jobs out there, and the ones that kept there jobs on their toes otherwise...

And i didn't mean dartboard to pick cuts, i meant dartboard to pick days to show F! It's Sunday, Monday, and Thursday now. I mean it seems really random to me.

#47 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:08 PM

IHeartTheStudios said:

Of course, because there's people involved. No one closes Hall of Presidents to cut costs because robots dont cost nearly as much as people.

I understand Disney feels they need to cut back to save some cash but Fantasmic is not the answer. It reduces the level of quality of entertainment at DHS when it's not occurring and guests recognize this and leave en masse by late afternoon.

Crowd levels thus far in 2009 haven't been the dire straights predicted before, even during the perceived slower times of the year. If something needs to be cut, fine, find it somewhere else but cutting out F! at the Studios is like closing SSE at Epcot or the Safaris at AK; it's become synonymous with the park.

#48 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:18 AM

Actually, has anyone actually heard if there has been a decrease in revenue? It seems as though no one's noticed by casual observation that there's been a marked decrease in attendance, and given all the recent firings, you might almost wonder if they're not doing better than they were before.

#49 User is offline   squishybear 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney!!!

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:47 AM

Well, attendance is up but people aren't spending any money in stores or on food.
Some many people have also been using the buy 4 get 3 deal, so Disney is loosing some potential money there as well.
Its not really about how full the park is, its more about how much money those guests spend.

#50 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God
  • Interests:My Children and Family, Disney, Games, UFC

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:49 AM

Here here. I am heading down... using buy 4+3. A free military ticket. I did buy the dining plan, but I am using my Visa rewards for all of my other expenses. So while I am going for 2.5 weeks... I am going to spend next to nothing in actual cash dropping expenses.

#51 User is offline   IHeartTheStudios 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:06 AM

squishybear said:

Well, attendance is up but people aren't spending any money in stores or on food.
Some many people have also been using the buy 4 get 3 deal, so Disney is loosing some potential money there as well.
Its not really about how full the park is, its more about how much money those guests spend.

This is exactly right. Attendance may not look so bad, but people will find other ways to cut their costs. As expensive as a park ticket may be, that's not where Disney makes their money. It's the money spent within the parks on food, merchandise, etc. People are bringing their own food or sharing meals and rather than shopping they are being a lot more careful about the things they purchase to take home. So it may look like attendance doesn't warrant the cuts, but there is a lot more to it than that.

#52 User is offline   TiggerRay 

• Studios God

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:43 AM

DisneyNut2009 said:

Allow me to interject some much-needed reason into this discussion...

These slams against the Fantasmic cuts have been ticking me off to no end. Everything happens for a reason...and the reason for the Fantasmic cuts IS because of our economy being in the horrendous state that it's in right now.

If it weren't for the recession, the show would continue to run every night 365 days a year like it mostly has since its 1998 opening.

Remember: Fantasmic is a VERY expensive show. So, it was either reduce the number of weekly performances or cut down on the show's quality.

So, this is not a good time to be slamming the company.

Yeah...the economy isn't good but if you've been following anything related to ADR's and park attendance...ADR call volume is 2-3 times what Disney expected and park attendance is way up. So yes....economy is not good but people are going to WDW anyway.

Unless you're into the shows on days there isn't Fantasmic...why stick around past late afternoon?
Disneyland - a people trap run by a mouse.

#53 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:47 AM

IHeartTheStudios said:

squishybear said:

This is exactly right. Attendance may not look so bad, but people will find other ways to cut their costs. As expensive as a park ticket may be, that's not where Disney makes their money. It's the money spent within the parks on food, merchandise, etc. People are bringing their own food or sharing meals and rather than shopping they are being a lot more careful about the things they purchase to take home. So it may look like attendance doesn't warrant the cuts, but there is a lot more to it than that.
I agree that Disney makes their money off merchandise, but if people are leaving DHS in hordes on non-F! days, then they certainly aren't going to be making money on those guests. I think you'd agree there's a higher likelihood of guests spending money in the parks if they are in the park.

#54 User is offline   Eric 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:31 PM

IHeartTheStudios said:

What is the cost of Illuminations and Fantasmic?
Eric
www.MouseGuest.com

"Universal is like Wal-Mart with roller coasters."
- Buzz Ardman to Paige Turner, 11/1/08

#55 User is offline   darthstich 

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:50 PM

IHeartTheStudios said:

squishybear said:

That's the thing though. Fantasmic is a GOLD MINE in those areas. They have there own food stands and merchandise carts, and the kids will want a cool glowing thing to play with during the show.

Fantasmic is an expensive show, and i think that is all the suits see...

#56 User is offline   sambycat 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:doesn't everybody want to be a cat?

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:29 PM

it costs $$$$ for those "friends of mickey" to dance around like that. aladdin and sorcerer mickey can't always room together. i have this on good inside knowledge.
everybody wants to be a cat, dahhling
www.thosedarncats.net

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users