#1 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 04 November 2002 - 07:04 PM

From the Orlando Sentinel...

What lurks inside Tower's pink walls?

By Robert Johnson | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted November 4, 2002

The latest upgrade of the fear level at Disney World's Twilight Tower of Terror is aimed at re-creating the ride with surprises that will encourage guests to line up repeatedly.

"We hope it will be another reason to return to Disney World," spokesman Craig Dezern said.

Called "Tower4," the new version of the ride will be unveiled for visiting international travel journalists on Tuesday night. The new ride will be ready for guests in January.

On the outside, nothing about the attraction will change. It will still be appear to be a once-grand hotel built in the revival style popular in Southern California in the early 20th century.

The ride opened in 1994 as a gut-grabbing plummet of more than 100 feet. That drop is nearly twice as long as the plunge at Splash Mountain.

But the original thrills haven't been enough for Disney World management over the years. The ride has had three versions. In the original sequence, riders were taken up to the top floor slowly in an elevator and dropped -- actually the elevator car is pushed down by a motor and doesn't fall -- to the lobby level.

In 1996 the Tower got a new sequence: Riders were "dropped" three times. The third version was installed in 1998, when the ride was changed to feature seven minor and major drops and add a few seconds in the drop chamber.

Before the new 1998 version, riders were given one scary look out the elevator through an open window to see how high above MGM Studios they really were, and how far down they would momentarily go. But the third version in 1998 gave them glimpses out the window before several drops to reinforce the fear.

"Tower4" will have "a number of new drop sequences and you won't ever know which one you're going to experience," Dezern said. There will also be some new special effects, but he wouldn't reveal them. He also would not elaborate on the new ride sequences, even how many there are, but he said that a Disney staff mathematician had planned the new versions.

"The idea is that the tower is taking control. And the ride you will get is entirely random," Dezern said.

Robert Johnson can be reached at 407-420-5664 or rwjohnson@orlandosentinel.com.

Copyright © 2002, Orlando Sentinel

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 05 November 2002 - 01:07 AM

More ToT Rumors/News....

It seems previews of the new drop sequence will be available to the press this week.

Reports have come in that the long-rumored new random drop sequence for the Tower of Terror will finally be previewed for the press this week. This sequence will feature a different set of drops almost every time you ride, keeping you on the edge of (or in the air above) your seat. It will be a fixed set of sequences, but they will be randomized, so you'll never know which one you're getting. As well as new drops profiles, there are new interior show effects. Tower of Terror 4 is scheduled to be unveiled to the public in January 2003.

#3 User is offline   lilchippewa 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 November 2002 - 01:56 AM

Finally, confirmation on the long-rumored project. Regardless, it should be great :(
-Josh

#4 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 06 November 2002 - 09:40 AM

More Rumors/News concerning ToT....

Concerning the new effects....

The new effects rumored are an effect that seems like the tower is burning down to the ground, and the possible disapearing guests effect from DCA. The rumors say that this will be like the one in the movie. Remeber when they were running towards the elevator shaft, then it opened and flames came out? Well, think of that, only your in the elevator, there's smoke around you, you feel heat, and you hear crackling around you.

Concerning the new drop sequences....

From what I have been told, there are five different sequences an elevator will go on. No one will know when they get on which sequence it will be (not even the cast member operating the ride). There is one sequence where after the door closes, you go straight up, according to what I have been told by a reliable source.

Can't wait to see the new ToT! 8)

#5 User is offline   David 

• Studios God

Posted 19 November 2002 - 11:11 AM

Hmm, so do they have any idea when it will be ready in January? I'm going on like the 1st to the 7th, just wondering if it would be ready for me.

#6 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 19 November 2002 - 05:11 PM

david9054 said:

Hmm, so do they have any idea when it will be ready in January? I'm going on like the 1st to the 7th, just wondering if it would be ready for me.

First of all, welcome to MGMStudios.Org David :)

No word on the unveiling date....we're just going to have to wait and see :rollblue:

#7 User is offline   David 

• Studios God

Posted 19 November 2002 - 05:31 PM

"First of all, welcome to MGMStudios.Org David :) "

Thank you much :D Found this site from www.tower-of-terror.com. I love it! Great job.

#8 User is offline   ILUVDISNEYWRLD 

• Studios Regular

Posted 21 November 2002 - 12:34 AM

hi david

#9 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 02 December 2002 - 10:19 PM

More ToT News including a date when the new drop sequence will officially emerge....December 31!

Disney Press Release:

Five simple words - one chilling thought: the tower is in control.

While “sequels” sometimes don’t measure up to their originals, the new version of The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ at Disney-MGM Studios multiplies the thrills inside the 13-story haunted hotel with technology that actually places the attraction in control of each ride experience.

Random ride and drop sequences will soon be unveiled, making the attraction faster and adding more drops than ever before. In addition, visual, audio and olfactory special effects have been added, making Tower of Terror one of the most advanced multi-sensory attractions anywhere in the world. Ghostly apparitions, rocketing new ascents, more “air time” and cannon blasts of chilling air are just a few of the new surprises in store for brave Walt Disney World guests.

The new ride sequences will officially debut Dec. 31, 2002, as the new year will ring in with screams and shrieks echoing from the ride’s cavernous elevator shafts.

All of the new ride sequences are unique and random, so not even the droll hotel “bellhops” (costumed Disney-MGM Studios cast members who operate the attraction) will know which specific sequence guests are queued to ride. It’s the first Disney attraction in the world to offer random experiences and the first where the attraction actually determines the ride sequence.

“The newest transformation of Tower of Terror affects every one of the senses, leaving you feeling as if you have really been in your own episode of The Twilight Zone,” says Theron Skees, show producer for Walt Disney Imagineering. “A team of Walt Disney Imagineers worked very hard to break the barrier and truly immerse guests in the experience. Adding new sound technology, scent, and visual effects is only part of the way we achieved this. We wanted the guest to feel completely out of control -- not knowing what to expect next, and giving the die-hard fans a lot more to talk about.”

Tower of Terror has thrilled Disney-MGM Studios guests since it opened in 1994. This is the fourth time the attraction has reopened with a new ride sequence, each time with new thrills and special effects.

In fact, changing the ride experience has always been part of the plan to put “terror” into the Tower. Thanks to the storyline, technology and ride engineering designed by Walt Disney Imagineering, Tower of Terror has the ability to be transformed into a number of completely new ride experiences.

“Tower of Terror affords us the technological opportunity to be extremely flexible by way of its design,” Skees says. “We can add effects, change timing sequences and completely alter the way it moves. This ability, combined with a unique storyline that is equally flexible, enables us to reinvent the ride experience as often as we want. No other theme park attraction that I know of allows us to continually morph and improve the guest experience in the same way.”

The ride’s fright-filled ascent begins when visitors board a decrepit hotel freight elevator that passes through mysterious hotel passageways where ghostly images of lost guests seem to appear and disappear at will. As the journey progresses, the elevator-cage hurdles through the “Fifth Dimension” in a pitch-black shaft, as guests embark on a not-to-be-forgotten journey.

The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror features Disney’s FASTPASS, an innovative system -- offered at no charge -- designed to reduce waiting times at popular attractions in all four Walt Disney World theme parks.

#10 User is offline   DisneyFreak1228 

• Studios God

Posted 03 December 2002 - 11:02 AM

*gasps* NO. They're premiering it when I'm in NY?! That's so wrong. Oh, well, guess I'll have to hit it when I come home.

And Matt, I was never mad at you, I was just messing with ya, like I said :D Ya know I love ya!
*Leslie Ivette*

#11 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 04 December 2002 - 02:24 PM

WDWMagic.Com is reporting that the new drop sequence is likely to have a soft opening on Dec. 9. They also confirm our previous post of Dec. 31 being the official opening date. :D

#12 User is offline   DisneyFreak1228 

• Studios God

Posted 09 December 2002 - 10:29 PM

According to WDWMagic.com, the soft opening for the new sequence did indeed begin this morning at 9am.

More details later.
*Leslie Ivette*

#13 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 22 December 2002 - 08:28 PM

Just a quick correction on the Tower4 drop sequence as submitted by one of our faithful readers :D

I just thought I'd send you a quick correction about the new Tower of Terror
drop profiles. The drop sequence isn't actually randomly generated. There
are four pre-programmed drop profiles (three new ones, and a slightly
modified version of the existing "Twice the Fright" profile), and each time
a vehicle enters the drop shaft, the ride computer randomly selects one of
the four profiles, so it's not like it's actually making up a new ride each
time, there are just many to choose from, as opposed to the same one each
time. The new profiles are enhanced by some new audio, smells, and a few
other animatronics and visual effects.

The new profiles have been online since Dec 9 and can be ridden by guests
now, however the "official" opening will be New Years' Eve.

#14 User is offline   ILUVDISNEYWRLD 

• Studios Regular

Posted 25 December 2002 - 02:19 PM

has anyone been on it yet?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users