• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Leaked Fantasyland 2.0 blueprints

#1 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

I'm not sure I like it. This plan looks like it will be removing most of Toon Town Fair (or am I not looking at this right?). The Beauty & the Beast restaurant looks like a fun addition, and moving Dumbo isn't a bad idea. Thoughts?

http://thedisneyblog.com/2009/07/17/magic-...n-plans-leaked/

Someone at Disney has leaked what appears to be very real blueprints laying out all the new ‘attractions’ planned for an expanded Fantasyland at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom. This plan matches what I’ve heard from other sources. My gut tells me it’s not something fan created and is actually from the halls of WDI in Glendale. Now the question is, has all this been approved for construction? If so we should start seeing bulldozers pushing dirt as soon as October. I won’t believe any of this is true until we do.

Posted Image

So what will the expanded area consist of? It remakes everything from where the current Little Mermaid meet and greet is, moves Dumbo, and goes back to the service road all the way across to the existing Toon Town Fair tents. The only attraction that will remain from the existing Toon Town is Goofy’s Barnstormer. Dumbo will now be located across from the Barnstormer and will be expanded to two spinners doubling the capacity of that popular attraction.

The rest of the expansion is dedicated almost entirely to the Pixie’s and Princesses that has become the marketing and merchandising focus of the Walt Disney Company the last few years. There are three new meet and greets Pixie Hollow is expanded, Cinderella gets a larger meet and greet, Princess Aurora (aka Sleeping Beauty) also gets a spot. I think calling a meet and greet an attraction is a bit of a stretch, but there are ways to expand the experience and elevate it to attraction level. Let’s hope that’s in the budget.

Ariel, the Little Mermaid has a meet and greet too, but she also gets a whole new attraction (essentially a clone of what is now under construction in California). It looks like Belle gets a meet and greet and a new “Be Our Guest” restaurant. At one time there was a Dinner Theatre restaurant by that name planned for Disneyland Paris, I wonder if they’re reviving that concept. That’s certainly something the Magic Kingdom has been lacking and I can see the long lines forming now for reservations.

What’s missing from the earlier rumors? One more roller coaster for the area. There was supposed to be a Snow White Mine Ride. Although I’m glad they’re not building that if it meant removal of the existing Snow White attraction. Perhaps Goofy’s Barnstormer will get rethemed to the Mine Ride.

My thoughts on this plan? It’s exactly what I would expect Disney World to come up with as an answer to Universal’s Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Disney is essentially writing off the tween boys and focusing all their attention on the girls with the idea that moms and their daughters control the vacation purse strings.

There’s only so much you can tell from a blueprint (assuming this is the final version). But I like what I see if that’s Disney’s choice. I would have liked to see a bit more balance and, perhaps, a new C or D ticket as well. I’m also curious to see if the rest of Fantasyland gets a retheming as well.

#2 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:00 PM

I'm skeptical if only for the reason that blueprints got released. Leaking information or ideas is one thing, but leaking blueprints doesn't make much sense unless someone is trying to put pressure on management to greenlight this whole thing.

#3 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

That's a possibility, right?

#4 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:53 PM

It looks good. The Be Our Guest restaurant idea is good.

#5 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:40 PM

View Postsurfpark, on Jul 17 2009, 11:18 AM, said:

That's a possibility, right?

I think so. I could be wrong here, but I believe that most people who have experience both think that Disneyland has a better Fantasyland than the MK because Disneyland's has more attractions (and I mean rides not meet and greets) and better building facades. These changes, if true, would do a lot to really improve the look and feel of MK's Fantasyland.

If, and this is all a guess on my part, someone in management doesn't want to pay for this, these plans may have been leaked in an effort to bring public pressure into play so they greenlight this.

#6 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:52 PM

Seeing is SO believing

#7 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:28 PM

Or, and my favorite idea, the reason why this was "leaked" was as a distraction for something even bigger...

#8 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:00 PM

I'll believe ANY of it when there are huge blue walls cutting off the walkway between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland.

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#9 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:51 AM

Wow.. majoe changes if this is accurate. I'm not fond of Toon Town but not sure this is much better unless the rides are really good. I can just see "zillions" of little "princesses" all decked out in their Bibbidy Bobbidy hair glitter & princess gowns/shoes running rampant in this area....
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#10 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:57 PM

I'm with the seeing is believing crowd. I know the Princesses are big money makers (believe me I have one of my own LOL) but do they really need THAT much real estate? If each Princess "attraction" is just a meet & greet, that's a huge waste of space.

I do like the idea of 2 Dumbos though. It was my, my son & my daughter's first rides ever as babies/toddlers...kind of a family tradition ;) We never ride it anymore b/c the lines are outrageous.

#11 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:47 PM

Which is why my daughter's first ride on anything was the Flying Carpets.

LOL

#12 User is offline   jbwolffiv 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Photography and hockey

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:04 PM

View PostQuickGold, on Jul 17 2009, 05:52 PM, said:

Seeing is SO believing

I totally agree! I now wait for some official word, but I still will read every rumor I can find!
John

#13 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:04 PM

It's certainly interesting to see these ideas as they are presented.

A friend had a really interesting idea. What if this was an actual idea by WDI and they "leak" this idea of what they want to gauge the reaction from Disney community? After the whole stitch celebration bonanza, it makes sense that they could anonymously leak this and if the online community is like "Woot! this is great" then they go ahead with things. But if it gets trashed online, well, it was never official anyway so either way their hands are clean. A bit far fetched, but it would make sense to me if I were running things.

#14 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:07 PM

The cake is a lie.

#15 User is offline   ghost1000 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:15 PM

Orlando Sentinel Blog
~~ Rita

#16 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:26 PM

Okay, two things:

A> Should we really take anything the Orlando Sentinel says seriously?

B> If these are the actual plans for Fantasyland 2.0, and the "brains" of Disney Imagineers are indeed going forth with it (which they probably are because in their minds, this is a 'smart' idea), it's going to be awfully "girl-character" heavy. I'm certain this all goes back to my original theory that Disney has a larger audience of girls to boys by a fake ratio of 3:1 that they cater to. As for the folks like me, they don't figure into this equation, thus reaffirming that my trip in June was indeed my last. Tragic, but hey. With the closing of the World of Disney NYC, what interest do I have in Disney anymore?
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#17 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:50 PM

View PostCOH#1fan, on Jul 20 2009, 07:26 PM, said:

As for the folks like me, they don't figure into this equation, thus reaffirming that my trip in June was indeed my last. Tragic, but hey. With the closing of the World of Disney NYC, what interest do I have in Disney anymore?

Um, since when is this about you? For someone over Disney, you still post a lot here. Anyway...

I think these plans are not finalized. I also think everyone needs to chill out on this whole "What will boys do in Fantasyland?" rhetoric. Ask yourself this...what do girls do in Adventureland? Boys and girls both like seeing characters, regardless of gender. The princesses and fairies are popular franchises, and it makes sense for Disney to develop their parks around them. These plans are not completely unreasonable.

As to why they would be leaked, I'm not sure. While I'd like to believe the reasons are shrouded in conspiracy, my guess is that it was done with some intent. For the most part, Disney has had the ability to keep things under wraps until launch date. Whoever let the cat out of the bag might have done so unintentionally. The bigger the company gets, the easier it is to have confidential information slip through the cracks. Its fun to think this is the work of some internal rebel that needs to be heard, or perhaps a well orchestrated effort on the part of research and development to get initial responses. Regardless, the plans seem pretty detailed to be a completely fake.

#18 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:06 PM

One question in all of this...

What is specifically for girls in Tomorrowland, Frontierland, Liberty Square, Adventureland?

I don't see an issue with one land being girl-centric. Most of the headliners seemed geared more for boys in the other lands.

#19 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:41 AM

I agree Paulie

#20 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:45 PM

I like the new plans and don't mind it being princess-y
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users