• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which night to go to the Studios?

#1 User is offline   TikiGoddess 

• Studios Newbie
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:49 PM

Hi all,

Sent this question into WDW Today but haven't heard an answer yet, :D so thought I would pose it to everyone...

We are going to visit WDW from Aug 10-19 with our two girls, ages 4 and 6. We usually go to a park in the morning, take a break in the afternoon, and then head out to a park after dinner at the resort. We stay out until 8-8:30.

I'm hoping to spend an evening at DHS, to tour the park (not interested in seeing Fantasmic). I looked at the August hours for DHS and there's three possible scenarios for visiting in the evening:

1. Park closes at 7pm -- which doesn't leave us much time to tour the park after dinner...

2. Park closes at 9pm with Fantasmic at 9pm

3. Park 'closes' at 7pm but has EMH from 7-10pm (we are staying onsite)

Would you think that the park would be less crowded in scenario #2 or #3? I've heard that on days when Fantasmic is being shown the park is extra crowded. But the same usually holds true for EMH...

Kathy

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:53 PM

Welcome to Studios Central TikiGoddess!

I would think scenario 2 would be less crowded. While it will be more crowded on 2 than 1 because of Fantasmic, many more people will come out for evening EMH since it's August and hot and everyone likes night time touring in the park. Scenario 2 is the less of 2 evils, with scenario 1 likely giving you the least crowds overall.

#3 User is offline   TikiGoddess 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Matt. You can take my email out of the queue for Listener Questions...

Another question though... if we decide to do the 7pm night (scenario 1)... could we tour right up until closing time and then get in line for TSM at 6:59pm? What are the wait times like at the end of the night?

Kathy

#4 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:47 AM

View PostTikiGoddess, on Jul 24 2009, 06:51 PM, said:

Thanks for the quick reply Matt. You can take my email out of the queue for Listener Questions...

Another question though... if we decide to do the 7pm night (scenario 1)... could we tour right up until closing time and then get in line for TSM at 6:59pm? What are the wait times like at the end of the night?

Kathy

Theoretically, yes you can. I say that because the CM could at 6:59 just decide to close off the line but yes you could hop on line at say even 5-10 minutes before the park is to close and be able to ride. Those in the queue will be allowed to ride, they just close off the line at park closing time to any other guests. The wait time could still very well be long...TSMM hardly ever has short waits and witha 7pm closing, it's not like it's late enough to have sent families with young children home yet.

#5 User is offline   MickeyMaz 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:26 PM

I like this thread a lot. Can I throw in a scenario?

We are going down from 8/17-8/21. We can go to DHS on 8/18 a Tuesday which has Fantasmic, 8/19 a Wednesday which has night EMH and no fantasmic, or Thursday 8/20 which has fantasmic again. They just added the extra shows. we don't want to see Fantasmic so I am figuring on going on Wed. and hope everyone will go to DHS on Tues or Thurs to see the show and not be as concerned with EMH's. I've heard the curse of going on nights with EMH and Fantasmic. Which curse is going to be itchier or be the worse night?

What do you guys think?

#6 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:58 PM

My guess is Thursday would be better since there was just a Fantasmic showing on Tuesday (if I understand your scenario correctly).

#7 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:08 AM

I'm leaving Sunday for Disney. You are arriving a day after me.

I couldn't imagine not going to Fantasmic; it's a great show. I was told they would have 2 shows on Sunday 9th, Tuesday 11th and Thursday 13th. My plan is to go to the second show at 10. But maybe I better check the schedule again to make sure. I stay away from Extra Magic Hours (night) because everyone arrives to what ever park is still open. Last year, I gave it a try. We left MK and took the monorail over to Epcot's EMH. The place was packed. We got on line for Test Track. The longest line I had ever been on, at least 90 mins. I will never do that again. One ride and the night was over.

Actually I should say that. One night we were at the Studios and they had an unscheduled EMH. The place was empty. We rode Star Tours about 8 times and never left the ride. All they same people stayed in (no people waiting). It was really funny.

Why is the park closing so early. I thought that didn't happen until later in August.

Well since you are not going to Fantasmic; my vote is for #1. But even on Fantasmic nights. My thought is that people will arrive later in the day. Those would be good early morning days to visit. Hmmm, sounds good.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#8 User is offline   Matt Hart 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Golf, Disney (duh)

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:57 AM

Here's what I can tell you from our experience on a recent trip.

We didn't visit on an EMH day, but have in the past and the park does gradually fill up during the day, becoming very busy several hours before the regular close.

We were there on two Fantasmic days and the park was absolutely packed both days. You could walk around, but standby waits for TSM exceeded 2 hours much of the day (our experience on these days was this line is often longer than it is posted, unlike most other lines). RnRC was frequently around 100 minutes, ToT 60+. Indy shows were filled 20 minutes before showtime.

We were there on a 7pm closing day and it was a completely different experience. We did TSM standby in less than 25 minutes. It was posted as 100, but that was clearly a mistake. RnRC standby in 40 minutes.

Bottom line, there are going to be a LOT more people in the park all day on the Fantasmic days, and most of them are going to occupy themselves with TSM, RnRC and ToT. If you want to do those attractions, you should either hit them another day, or use FP early and often, which makes leaving the park for a midday break problematic.

If you just want to do the other attractions, it will be more crowded, but still reasonable.

Hope that helps.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users