Studios Central: Counter Service Dining Plan Maybe Coming - Studios Central

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Counter Service Dining Plan Maybe Coming

#1 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:07 AM

An article in this mornings Orlanod Sentinal points to Disney adding a counter service meal plan to the Magic Your Way plan. Its mentioned in the CBR retheming article.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/business_...tes-of-the.html

I kind of like the sound of this; especially in conjunction with the DDE card.

#2 User is offline   Croaker 

• Studios Regular

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:13 AM

I've always thought this would be a better option than increasing the sit down meals. shoot for two counter service and two snacks. drop the price by $10. now if they would let you mix and match that would be cool. i could go for 3 sit downs on a 5 day trip. or perhaps just purchasing a 10 snack card.

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:05 AM

Interesting idea for the new DDP. The question is how much will this plan cost. This quick service DDP would be great for like Mousefest when you're doing a lot of running around and don't have time for a sit down meal.

#4 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:12 PM

I agree the price is the sticking point. The chances that Disney will price this accordingly lower seems pretty slim to me, considering all the other gouging they've been practicing lately. Even if you take $10 off, that's still around $28--if you figure the average CS runs around $10, and the snacks max out at $4, you're typically just breaking even with 2CS/2 snack.

Frankly, I doubt they'd price anything, including oxygen, less than $30.

#5 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God
  • Interests:My Children and Family, Disney, Games, UFC

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:37 AM

QuickGold said:

Interesting idea for the new DDP. The question is how much will this plan cost. This quick service DDP would be great for like Mousefest when you're doing a lot of running around and don't have time for a sit down meal.

Unless Len is paying of course!

#6 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:30 AM

Trying to put numbers to the items which would be included in this plan.

2 Counter service meals = $20 on average
2 snacks = $6 on average
1 mug = $12 spread out over the number of nights of your stay

Total = $38

Throw in a little discount for the plan then we're probably looking at $25 to $28 dollar neighborhood. Anything higher than that and its really not worth it.

It will be interesting to see the kids prices. I'm trying to remember if kids counter service meals are depicted today on the regular meal plan. I kind of remember being able to use my daughter's CS credit as an adult CS credit back in April. I know TS credits are definately depicted between adult and child, but I don't believe CS credits are today. I'm sure that would change with this new CS plan.

#7 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:01 AM

Your numbers sound about right Aaron. Around $25 and it's probably worth it. Less than $25 and it's a steal but if the price goes higher to around $30, then I don't see as much value and you get into the situation where you can do better on your own in terms of what you get.

#8 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:34 PM

Odd that they're going to offer the mug with this plan and the more expensive plan, but not for the "classic" plan.

#9 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:07 AM

Pricing has been set for the CS DDP.

http://dvcnews.com/index.php?option=com_co...53&Itemid=1

Quick Service Dining Plan Priced
Written by Tim Krasniewski
Wednesday, August 06, 2008 08:00AM
Disney has priced its Quick Service dining plan (two counter service meals, two snacks, refillable mug) at $29.99 per adult, per night and $8.99 per child, per night. Website Allearsnet.com has a complete rundown on all dining plan options being offered in 2009.

Note that Disney Vacation Club has not yet announced whether members will be able to add the Quick Service dining plan to reservations, but both the standard and deluxe dining plans have previously been offered to members.

#10 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:32 PM

WHo wants to bet all future free dinings will use this plan instead of the other?

#11 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

$29.99 is a bit pricey for what you get, especially since the resort mug and desserts dont do much for me

#12 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:46 PM

Rinjo said:

WHo wants to bet all future free dinings will use this plan instead of the other?

Actually, although I yield to no one in my generally low expectations of business practices, I would be surprised if they didn't stick with the classic plan for the free dining. I think they use the free dining as a hook to get people to try out the sit-down restaurants and generate a desirable "buzz" about the ADRs.

Since they don't really need to entice people to use the CS places (often last resorts for tired families) they don't really need to offer much incentive for them, which is why I don't think the CS plan offers much savings, versus just prepaid convenience.

In any case, I guess we'll find out as soon as this batch of free dining starts, as they'll probably offer the bounce-back deal again for next year.

#13 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:44 AM

I have a hunch we are going to see a tiered free dining plan in 2009.

For example:
Staying at a Value Resort = No free dining (AP discounts)
Staying at a Moderate = Free QS DDP
Staying at a Deluxe = Free Basic Dining Plan

Or you could tier it a little higher with CS DDP at a value, Basic at a moderate, and deluxe. There are a lot of ways they could tier and/or package it.

You would be able to upgrade to any plan above what you are offered for free.

#14 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:49 AM

ADP I think you hit the nail on the head!!! It only makes sense to say:

Staying at a Value Resort = Free QS DDP
Staying at a Moderate = Free Basic Dining Plan
Staying at a Deluxe = Free Deluxe Dining Plan

Disney is seriously implementing a caste or class system... I mean it was always there...but it is really prominent now!!!

#15 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:59 PM

It's certainly possible, although it still seems unlikely to me that they'd ever offer the Deluxe package for free--I would think they'd always want somewhere for people to pay up to.

I think the value of the promotion would take a big hit though, since it was really only a big discount to people staying in the Values--as the guys have said repeatedly, the AP discounts were always potentially more valuable than the free dining for the Deluxes.

I think I've gone during every free dining promotion since its inception (and booked for this year,) but I doubt I'd bother for the QS DDP.

#16 User is offline   Ken In Atlanta 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:39 AM

I do find it interesting what Van (from Netcot) said about the Counter Service Dining plan.

Disney just ended ties with McDonalds because Disney wants to move toward healthier options but now is offering a DP where you get two fast food meals a day, a snack, a mug for lots of soda, and a game card to play video games.

Seems a bit hypocritical.

#17 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:56 AM

Well not all quick service food is unhealthy, whereas most McDonalds food is terrible for you

#18 User is offline   Ken In Atlanta 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:11 AM

QuickGold said:

Well not all quick service food is unhealthy, whereas most McDonalds food is terrible for you

True, but I would think I would be safe in saying that most is, and that most people would choose the unhealthery counter service options more than the healtheir ones.

#19 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:54 PM

Ken In Atlanta said:

QuickGold said:

True, but I would think I would be safe in saying that most is, and that most people would choose the unhealthery counter service options more than the healtheir ones.
Point taken. I try to eat healthy when I'm in the parks (relatively speaking, of course) but I'm sure many folks just prescribe to the "I'm on vacation so who cares" theory

#20 User is offline   Ken In Atlanta 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:20 PM

QuickGold said:

Ken In Atlanta said:

QuickGold said:

Point taken. I try to eat healthy when I'm in the parks (relatively speaking, of course) but I'm sure many folks just prescribe to the "I'm on vacation so who cares" theory

That is my theory at the Table Service resturants :-)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users