Studios Central: Why Is New York Street such a waste of space? - Studios Central

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why Is New York Street such a waste of space?

#1 User is offline   Ignohippo 

• Studios Newbie
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

Don't get me wrong, it's one of my favorite areas of the park but can't they retrofit some shops inside the facades? I was there over the weekend and was surprised to see the facades seemed to be deeper than I had originally thought. It looked like they are deep enough for shops (designed like the Villains Shop on Sunset) for thin galley-style shops.

Anyone know why they haven't done it? If they can't, maybe it's time for the area to be redesigned so it can be used for something useful (especially since there's no need for actual sets there anymore). Keep the New York Street look, but rebuild it so they can actually fit an attraction or two in there. It seems to be the perfect area for Marvel, so maybe they'll redesign it once they're able to get the Marvel characters in the park?

#2 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:11 PM

View PostIgnohippo, on May 29 2010, 11:43 PM, said:

Don't get me wrong, it's one of my favorite areas of the park but can't they retrofit some shops inside the facades? I was there over the weekend and was surprised to see the facades seemed to be deeper than I had originally thought. It looked like they are deep enough for shops (designed like the Villains Shop on Sunset) for thin galley-style shops.

Anyone know why they haven't done it? If they can't, maybe it's time for the area to be redesigned so it can be used for something useful (especially since there's no need for actual sets there anymore). Keep the New York Street look, but rebuild it so they can actually fit an attraction or two in there. It seems to be the perfect area for Marvel, so maybe they'll redesign it once they're able to get the Marvel characters in the park?

Streets of America is still preserved as a filming location, though there rarely is any filming. Occasionally, however, some student films are shot there. If i'm not mistaken there is a film school in New York that comes down every year as like a final project.

Also it looks a lot bigger then it actually is. If you are heading up the Street, (Starting @ the Backlot Tour runaround) to the left, the Facades are incredibly thin, just big enough for the supports on the back. Behind it is the Honey i Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Playground, and some backstage areas further down. To the right, there is the first initial section that shows the supports and a big empty gap, but i'm pretty sure that the gap is intentional to show that is not actually a complete building, but past the turn for the san fransisco part it get pretty thin, with a small place for the "Youse Guys Moychendise" store and storage for it, and the Extended Queue line for Muppet*Vision.

Having said all that, i feel it's kind of a waste of space as well that no longer really fits any particular theme. I';d like to see the area transformed into something else, but that is kind of difficult with the incredibly sporadic themeing of Streets of America.

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:19 AM

Like Shaun said, SoA is a filming set. It's primary purpose is to showcase how you can fake being in a city without creating all those buildings but still making it look "real".

Given that SoA hasn't been used for what it was intended to be in many years, I'd support a plan to make the city a little more functional but then there's always the issue of the space behind the facades to actually be able to put in a store or restaurant. There's not much padding there.

#4 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:41 PM

I think they're keeping this space blank for a few reasons:

1. Every park needs dead space. Magic Kingdom has the center Tomorrowland courtyards/stages. Epcot has the fountain area between Innoventions. Animal Kingdom has Camp Mickey-Minne. These spaces are devoid of attractions and have big open spaces. These are what I consider "multi-purpose" spaces. When you have character meet-ups, special events, or even hard ticketed events, these are areas you can set-up shop in temporarily. Looking at the layout of Hollywood Studios, I can't imagine there would be another area for a big collection of people.

2. Money. To renovate that area would mean a huge investment in the park. As of right now, the space is great for their Christmas light show. To put anything that needs to make a profit each day there would mean it would be shut down a quarter of the year. I know Universal Studios has a section modeled after New York between the Twister and The Mummy coaster. This area looks great, but the entire thing is set-up like a park with buildings around it. Nothing is going on (although I think they have one restaurant/bar there). Overhauling the Streets of America would mean a bigger plan, which includes new attractions.

#5 User is offline   RAXIP 

• Studios Regular

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:04 AM

View Postdarthstich, on May 30 2010, 12:11 AM, said:

If i'm not mistaken there is a film school in New York that comes down every year as like a final project.

Yep. In fact, they (The New York Film Academy) were shooting at the Studios this morning. (And will be back Monday and Tuesday)
Seize the moment! Let your fantasies and dreams set sail.

Character Attendant @ DHS
WOD Squad '08

flickr
twitter

#6 User is offline   darthstich 

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:18 PM

View PostRAXIP, on Jun 18 2010, 11:04 AM, said:

Yep. In fact, they (The New York Film Academy) were shooting at the Studios this morning. (And will be back Monday and Tuesday)

Yeah i saw them in the park Wednesday morning as well. The area is used, just extremely rarely lol

#7 User is offline   acp 

• Studios God

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

Perhaps they should do more streetmosphere down there. Maybe as more of a demonstration for using the sets in lieu of the real city locations, using guests as extras in a fictional film or something.

As it is right now, it is kind of a waste of space, but as darthstich says, it's not actually as big as it looks, and probably not enough space to put much of an attraction in. Also, if you take SoA out, you've lost one of the main thoroughfares through to the back of the park, which could cause traffic problems down the already congested Mickey Avenue/Pixar Place and/or the already quite thin path round the back of MuppetVision. Plus, taking out SoA would make the Osborne Lights a bit more difficult to stage.

I was always quite surprised that they didn't run the parade down the New York street. It's certainly a big enough area to hold a parade.

Andy.
Andy.
Former Disney-MGM Studios Cast Member.

Studios Central Worlds Apart Column

#8 User is offline   darthstich 

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

Just throwing this out there, how would we feel about High School Musical being down there all the time?

#9 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:17 PM

View Postdarthstich, on Jun 19 2010, 07:06 PM, said:

Just throwing this out there, how would we feel about High School Musical being down there all the time?

I'd prefer it there. While the kids love it, HSM is a human traffic nightmare when it comes and goes and obviously ruins the theme of the area. On days when it's at SoA or Fantasmic, I enjoy Hollywood Boulevard a whole lot more.

#10 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:27 AM

Personally, I would prefer High School Musical to be "graduated". Let the Citizens of Hollywood take back their streets!
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#11 User is offline   Ignohippo 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:15 AM

It's funny to me how poorly designed the studios were. Now certainly a lot of it has to do with the fact that the back half was designed to be an active studio, but it really exemplifies the Eisner era:

Really confusing layout. No hub and spoke system.
Completely landlocked by the highway, streets, etc. No thought given to future expansion.
Corridors that are way too small (Pixar Place, corridor in front of the ABC Commissary, etc.)
Streets Of America buildings (New York and San Fran) were designed as fascades and as cheaply as possible without any thought to future use.

It seems the Studios suffers from many of the same basic problems that California Adventure had. Hopefully one day we'll see that type of money thrown towards the Studios.

#12 User is offline   sarahzy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:26 AM

I think that would be a better place for it. They used to do shows back there in the 90's (Ninja Turtles and Ace Ventura come to mind immediately), and other than it being blistering hot while you were watching the show, I don't remember there being traffic problems.

#13 User is offline   Rodders 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Rugby League, Music, Disney and Booze

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:00 AM

View Postdarthstich, on Jun 20 2010, 12:06 AM, said:

They can move HSM anywhere for all I care as long as it's out of my way :fett2:
Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic

#14 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:33 AM

I'd rather they move it out of the parks and out of existence. Disney's getting a little too marketable to the tween audience, and that's annyoing. Disney should not be marketing to kids and tweens. They should be marketing to people like me. Then again, with all the Marvel merchandise that's coming in, I suppose they are. So, when is Ol' Shell Head and Spidey coming to New York Street?
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#15 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:37 AM

If HSM has to stay (I vote for getting rid of it entirely) I would prefer it be move to SoA so that perkey music is less "in your face". It seems every time I walk past the hat, HSM is blaring. That would also make that front area near the hat less congested.
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#16 User is offline   anthony i miss disney 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:55 PM

View Postdarthstich, on May 30 2010, 05:11 AM, said:

Streets of America is still preserved as a filming location, though there rarely is any filming. Occasionally, however, some student films are shot there. If i'm not mistaken there is a film school in New York that comes down every year as like a final project.

Also it looks a lot bigger then it actually is. If you are heading up the Street, (Starting @ the Backlot Tour runaround) to the left, the Facades are incredibly thin, just big enough for the supports on the back. Behind it is the Honey i Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Playground, and some backstage areas further down. To the right, there is the first initial section that shows the supports and a big empty gap, but i'm pretty sure that the gap is intentional to show that is not actually a complete building, but past the turn for the san fransisco part it get pretty thin, with a small place for the "Youse Guys Moychendise" store and storage for it, and the Extended Queue line for Muppet*Vision.

Having said all that, i feel it's kind of a waste of space as well that no longer really fits any particular theme. I';d like to see the area transformed into something else, but that is kind of difficult with the incredibly sporadic themeing of Streets of America.

i love the atmosphere down the soa .but it would be a good idea for disney to spend some cash on it .may be put a stage down 1 of the side street for hsm.

#17 User is offline   Studio Kid 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Visiting the Studios

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:03 PM

View PostIgnohippo, on Jun 29 2010, 09:15 AM, said:

It's funny to me how poorly designed the studios were. Now certainly a lot of it has to do with the fact that the back half was designed to be an active studio, but it really exemplifies the Eisner era:

• Really confusing layout. No hub and spoke system.
• Completely landlocked by the highway, streets, etc. No thought given to future expansion.
• Corridors that are way too small (Pixar Place, corridor in front of the ABC Commissary, etc.)
• Streets Of America buildings (New York and San Fran) were designed as fascades and as cheaply as possible without any thought to future use.

It seems the Studios suffers from many of the same basic problems that California Adventure had. Hopefully one day we'll see that type of money thrown towards the Studios.

The studios is in a perfect area for a real movie studio like it was meant to be. Look at the hollywood section in California, all the studios are surrounded by highways with the studios within. I think its clever that they put it in the same location as a real studio would be placed since that's what it was supposed to be when it started. So it wasn't planned poorly it was planned just like a real studio which it was.

#18 User is offline   squishybear 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney!!!

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:05 PM

I agree that they should move the HSM show somewhere else. It's location is just too centrally located so it is always in your way. Besides, they could at least update it with some other Disney movie that's popular like Camp Rock or Hannah Montana or whatever. I know it's not as popular but HSM 3 was just too long ago to really be relevant anymore. I know those shows are just as bad as HSM but at least they are more current and relevent. But either way, move it out of the main entrance area!

#19 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:21 PM

They need to replace High School Musical, but I keep hearing rumors that another film is in the works. The rumors are that the next High School Musical film is in production and airing later this year. From Wikipedia:

On April 8, 2008, Disney Channel Worldwide President Rich Ross stated that script was being written for the fourth installment of High School Musical. However since Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens' characters have graduated and headed to college, they will not be reappearing. The filming will be done by choreographer and director Jeffrey Hornaday and will debut on Disney Channel in 2010. Casting is underway for the fourth installment, which is set against the cross-town school rivalry between the East High Wildcats and West High Knights.

Get excited everyone! LOL.

#20 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:19 AM

*headdesk headdesk headdesk*

NO NO NO! A THOUSAND TIMES NO! GRRR!!!!

Okay, now that I got that out of my system, I have had enough of Disney catering to the tween market. This is a precious demographic that is very impressionable, and if Disney continues to push this particular product on them, it's going to leave a negative impression on them driving not only their parents crazy but painting a false image of what real high school is like. It is nothing like that accursed HSM.

It's like I've always said before, but nobody seems to want to listen; Disney should stop catering to kids, tweens and families and start focusing on people like us. People who are just fans of Disney and appreciate fine entertainment. Unfortunately, and this is something I've also said before but nobody seems to care about, Disney just isn't that smart.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users