• You cannot reply to this topic

Post Lukemia Trip

#1 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:My Children and Family, Disney, Games, UFC

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:01 AM

Good Morning (or whatever time it is...),

I have a member in my unit who is just getting over Lukemia and is starting recovery. They are planning to take a Disney Vacation after her recovery and my squadron so far has raised over $1200 for them that we are going to put on a Disney Gift card to help with their trip.

I have offered up my services to help them with dining and trip planning. I have also asked MEI/Mousefan travel if they would be interested in planning their trip and maybe giving them a little something extra and will likely hear back from them soon.

That being said, I was wondering if everyone could give me a few suggestions on things I might be able to do that might be special for them. I have lots of ideas already... but ANything at all would be helpfull... a few ideas I have so far...

At each event whenever possible I will call them and make sure they note that she is just over Lukemia and this is a big trip for them... hopefully that will garner them some extra disney love...

1) Get them a fairy Godmother and scheduling them a California Grill during wishes.

2) Telling them how to be the first family of the day at the park... This is my best Disney memory by far

3) Setting up their ADRS and giving them good touring plans so that they will have a low stress time...

4) Telling them how to participate in Disneys flag lowering ceremony and calling Disney to try to set it up for them... even though they no longer take advanced reservations.

5) Calling all of their hotels and what not and telling them about the military members situation and hoping that gets them an extra mint on the pillow...

Alright my list seems kind of small... what else can I do to make this extra special for them? keep in mind that I am in Europe and won't be able to do anything in person for them...

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:10 PM

If they have a young child (like age 2-5 or so), tell them about "waking up tinkerbell" at the Tinkerbell gift shop in Fantasyland (near Philharmagic). They have to literally be the first family in the store when it opens and then the child has to ask the CM to wake up tinkerbell.

#3 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:54 AM

Any of the Behind the Scenes Tours are awesome. I've done several and each has its own magic but it's best to select one that coincides with their personal interests. The Steam Engine one at Mk was fun because you get to go back to the train "parking lot". The half day one at MK (forget its name right this moment) was pretty cool 'cause you get to go backstage and into the utilidors. Several at EPCOT are cool...the Segway one is neat and the walking tour at The Land is fun especially if you're into gardening and plants. They range in price from very affordable to a bit pricey so that might be a criteria also depending upon how much you end up having to spend. Maybe you could negotiate some sort of price break with WDW given the circumstances.

Also, I know they are keeping the suite at Cinderella's Castle intact but not sure if they've annouced how they will use it in the future. Maybe you could arrange a private tour....long shot but worth a try...the tour I took was amazing!!!!
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#4 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God
  • Interests:My Children and Family, Disney, Games, UFC

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:12 AM

I soooooo wish that I could do that!!!

Very good tips. I Don't know their kids ages but when I find out I will post here. A tour is a really good idea. Considering that they will have a $1200 gift card they should be able to swing one.

A segway tour or a train tour would be fun depending on the kids ages...

#5 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:35 AM

I just had an afterthought.... after you find out how old the kids are, make sure you check each tours requirements before you book any tours... some have age restrictions
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#6 User is offline   TTAfanatic 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:WDW, KISS, Movies, TV, Music

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:24 PM

I don't have much advise for you, but just wanted to let you know that your are truely a saint for helping plan this trip, you are spreading magic, and I thank you for helping make the world a better place.

#7 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Running, Eating, Laughing, Running, Eating, Laughing

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:59 PM

First let me say that $1,200 is a lot of kibby...well done. Secondly, I was thinking about your question while I was driving (I do my best thinking on the treadmill, in the car or in the shower.)

Anywho, If you don't mind dropping approx $30-$40 bucks, I sent my friend a "flower arrangement" via disney flower services. However, it was not made up of flowers it was made up of Disney kitchen utensils and a cookbook w/ Disney recipes from the parks...ie Twinkie Tiramisu. I had it delivered to their room, so when they checked in it was waiting for them. She loved it. After their trip, when they were feeling a Disney void they cooked up some of their vacation faves.

Hope it helps and IMO just your effort, to think of another, really is the magic.

Kristen

#8 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:22 AM

Great suggestion Kristen. The flower service idea would be great, especially if you planned it ahead and had it waiting when they check in...a real classy touch

#9 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Running, Eating, Laughing, Running, Eating, Laughing

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:29 PM

Here is the link to the Disney florist:

The specific item I ordered is called, "In the Kitchen with Mickey." They have a ton of other items, though.

http://www.DisneyFlorist.com

Kristen

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users