• You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone own an Amazon Kindle

#1 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney World, Harry Potter, Star Wars and my family

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:03 AM

Hi everyone;
My son just started 9th grade and is in the IB program at school, he'll be doing alot of reading and I was looking into buying a kindle. More for the fact that it'll be easier to carry than a regular book, you can download and store alot of books and maybe my daughter can use it too.
Does anyone own one that can give me a review before I buy??
Thanks
Por favor mantenganse alejados de las puertas

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

I don't own one but I've heard nothing but good things about it

#3 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:46 AM

thanks Matt, anyone else?

#4 User is offline   kimdben 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:37 PM

I personally don't have one but I was just rereading some answers to that question on one of my Yahoo groups. The concensus is that you must decide what exactly you want the reader for. Do you want a backlight? If so, then a Kindle probably won't be what you want. They supposedly don't have backlights. Do you want a lot of memory? Check to see which system has the best memory and possible upgrade in the future.

I will post the answers some of the others gave for you to decide...

"I can't give you much of a critique as I have only used my Sony. When I was researching ereaders I knew I wanted one with a back light so I could read it at night. The sony 700 has that. Although with the kindle you can download books where ever you are, the sony does not have that. I think it really is a personal preference. Think of everything you want, then compare the two and see which one has the most of you wants.

Leslie"

"The sony comes with a cover that opens like a normal book. The memory if great, plus you can add a mem card. I have a 4gb card on mine and so far, I can hold close to 120 Secrets length stories on it and still have room. Without the light on I get about 10-12 hours of straight reading time. With the light on I get around 6-8 hours. It comes with a USB cord to transfer books from your computer and it charges while doing so. It also comes with a standard power cord so you can charge where ever you might be. It is small enough to carry in my purse (small-medium size purse), fits great in my backpack. It is smaller than a mini computer. You can download pictures and music to it. You just need headphones to listen to it (I haven't ever used this feature so I don't know what type of sound quality it has).

Umm that is all I can think of.

Leslie"

"Three questions for ereader fans-

1) If you were reading and the battery dies/you accidentally shut it off, will it go back to the start?/is there a good 'book mark' feature?

2) Does the answer for question 1 change if the document is .doc/.pdf/.lit or whatever?

3) Is there a highlight feature (like say, if I try to justify the purchase to myself by saying I can use it while studying/reading research documents :o)

Ari"

"1. The Sony takes you to the place that you left off at, it doesn't bring you to the beginning.

2. Nope, doesn't matter what format, still takes you back to the place you left. The Sony supports .doc and .pdf (those are all that I have tried, I know
it does others, but I don't remember which ones)

3. It does have a highlight feature.

4. It also has a search feature. Say you are looking for a word, you just go to the search feature, type in the word and it will bring you to that word(s).

5. There is also a "go to" feature. Say you want page 112. Instead of advancing page by page, you just type in the page number and it will take you
there.

Hope this helps.

Leslie"

"Currently I have a Kindle. I've only had it for about a month, but I love it so far. The only thing I don't like about it, is the no backlight, but I
figure getting an inexpensive booklight will work fine. The memory isn't expandable, but I currently have about 300 stories (plus two audiobooks) and
I'm only using about 20% of the memory.

I'm not sure whether the Sony ereader and the Barnes & Noble Nook (or any other brand of ereader) have backlight's or not.

I put off buying a Kindle for a long time weighing the pros and cons of the various different models and what I really needed. Finally, I made the
decision to get a Kindle, and I'm not disappointed.

Kylia"

Ok that's the last of that. If you want any further help or would like to contact these people personally contact me OFF group and I will give you directions to my Yahoo group. I know that they didn't really talk about a Kindle but it gives you an idea of what to ask for when deciding on a reader.
I hope that helps some.
Kim
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:10 PM

my wife has one and absolutely loves it
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#6 User is offline   ksomm814 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:36 PM

I own a Nook--the Barnes and Noble version of the Kindle. There's a lot of space and it's expandable. You can put a micro sd card in it. The question is if the books you want are available in a digital format.

#7 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:40 AM

Thank you everyone, It'll be primarily for my son's use. He's going to be reading alot of books since he's in the IB program, they're starting off with Romeo and Juliet, books to be read include The Glass Menagerie, Pride & Prejudice (imagine a 14 year old reading Austen ☺) Hamlet, etc. He will probably use it at school and in his room, both with good light. I may "borrow" it every once in a while as well.
It'll probably be a christmas gift so I'm still researching.
Thanks again for your input

#8 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:49 AM

Darn! i typed up a whole response yesterday and it seems to have disappeared!

I got one for my husband last Christmas because he kept asking for one. He loved it for about 7-8 months. Downloaded books all the time, was able to bring it to work with him. He also took it on every trip with us and rarely had to recharge it. Never had any tech problems that I know of. It's now sitting in a pile of video tapes (yes VHS LOL) and has been there for over a month. He hasn't asked about it either.

Personally, I hate it...but it's because I would rather have a book in my hand than spend more time staring at a screen.

My son is 10, almost 11. He's a big reader! (I'm probably the only parent that has to check his backpack before school to take books he snuck in out of it!) He reads on an adult level. I love to read too but sometimes he still shocks me with the books he reads and completes. (He's read Romeo & Juliet and a few other Shakespeare already. After going to Russia this past summer, he wants to read War & Peace :thumleft: had to nix that one until one of us adults read it first!)

Anyway....he really has no interest in the Kindle for himself. It kind of surprises me because he's also a big video game/computer user.

As a side note, my husband took his Kindle to Europe with us. He was able to get a better wi-fi signal that I was on my iTouch. I could rarely get a signal. He has one of the older models so there are no graphics etc, only text but he was able to access all his Fantasy Baseball leagues while we were away. :o

#9 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:18 AM

View PostFigaro, on Sep 23 2010, 09:49 AM, said:

Darn! i typed up a whole response yesterday and it seems to have disappeared!

I got one for my husband last Christmas because he kept asking for one. He loved it for about 7-8 months. Downloaded books all the time, was able to bring it to work with him. He also took it on every trip with us and rarely had to recharge it. Never had any tech problems that I know of. It's now sitting in a pile of video tapes (yes VHS LOL) and has been there for over a month. He hasn't asked about it either.

Personally, I hate it...but it's because I would rather have a book in my hand than spend more time staring at a screen.

My son is 10, almost 11. He's a big reader! (I'm probably the only parent that has to check his backpack before school to take books he snuck in out of it!) He reads on an adult level. I love to read too but sometimes he still shocks me with the books he reads and completes. (He's read Romeo & Juliet and a few other Shakespeare already. After going to Russia this past summer, he wants to read War & Peace :thumleft: had to nix that one until one of us adults read it first!)

Anyway....he really has no interest in the Kindle for himself. It kind of surprises me because he's also a big video game/computer user.

As a side note, my husband took his Kindle to Europe with us. He was able to get a better wi-fi signal that I was on my iTouch. I could rarely get a signal. He has one of the older models so there are no graphics etc, only text but he was able to access all his Fantasy Baseball leagues while we were away. :o

You are very fortunate to have a son that likes to read. WOW War & Peace...good luck to him. I agree with your statement that it's better to have a real book on your hands, the only thing is that I don't have the space to store all of these books and I know my daughter (she's 9 now) who is in the gifted program, will have to read all of these books herself. Anywho...still haven't made up my mind about an e-reader...My husband tells me why not wait until we can buy the I-Pad, you can download books on that too right??

#10 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:23 AM

well it does save trees
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users