Studios Central: Rob's Family Vacation to WDW - June 2004 - Day 6 - EPCOT - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rob's Family Vacation to WDW - June 2004 - Day 6 - EPCOT

#1 User is offline   rob_wilson 

• Resident Game Show Expert
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney, Trivia

Posted 13 June 2004 - 08:53 AM

Players: Rob (the guy footing the bill), Debbie (the wife), Donny (the son), Hayley (the daughter)

Lodging: Port Orleans: French Quarter an EPCOT Resort

Dates: 6/3-6/10 [This post relates to 6/8]

Transportation: Nissan Quest van

In what had become a pattern for us, we left our room at 8:30 am. This time we headed to EPCOT. Yes, I know that they now spell it Epcot, but to me that takes away from the words origin as an acronym, so I refuse to use the mixed-case letters. Anyway, we went inside shortly before they opened up Future World. The characters came past in their bus and then they let us inside.

The crowd headed straight for Spaceship Earth, so we opted to head elsewhere. We took in the Listen to the Land boat ride at The Land pavilion first. There was no wait at all there. My son was disappointed to see that Food Rocks was now gone, soon to be replaced by Soarin'. Our next stop was Journey Into Your Imagination with Figment. There was absolutely no one else there when we arrived. We got on and had the ride to ourselves.

When we got off the Imagination ride, we had the Dream Works activities to ourselves as well. We spent some time making funny photos and such before moving on to something else. The characters were now out around the Pin Trading booth, so we took pictures for awhile. We got pictures of Donny and Hayley with Mary Poppins, Brother Bear, Baloo, King Louie, Gideon (from Pinocchio), and Rafiki. That was all we had time for as the bus then left again taking the characters with it.

Next we took in Spaceship Earth and Ellen's Universe of Energy before heading back to the now open World Showcase. Things got a little ugly here for us, as it was lunch time and we couldn't get a consensus on where to eat. One of the kids wanted to eat at the indoor restaurant at the Mexico pavilion (San Angel Inn?) and the other wanted to eat at the Nine Dragons restaurant at the China pavilion. Debbie wouldn't say, but I knew she would prefer the Chinese restaurant. So, we headed there, only to get into an argument because Debbie didn't see anything on the kids menu that they would eat. Additionally, the restaurant wasn't even open yet. As a result, we trudged back to the Mexico pavilion though I told her that the same thing would happen there.

Sure enough, we put our name in at the Mexico restaurant and during the 20 minute wait to get our table, the complaints began. Debbie looked at the menu and didn't think I would eat anything there. I told her that I would eat something wherever we went and to just decide something. With Donny upset because he really wanted to eat at Mexico, we hiked back once more to China. Eventually, we did get fed and all worked out okay, but these events would pretty much sum up our entire day as we learned later at dinner.

Anyway, after we had eaten, we went back to Mexico and rode El Rio de Tiempo which is one of Donny's favorite rides for some reason. Afterwards, we headed to Norway and rode Maelstrom. This is where we had a bit of a Twilight Zone moment. A few years ago, we flew down to Florida and met a family who lives somewhat near us. They were later on the same flight home, too, and it was one that ended up being cancelled, stranding us in Florida for the night. A year or so later, we once again flew down when they did. We have only run into them once locally. Anyway, at the end of the ride, while we are sitting waiting for the theater doors to open, I spot this same family again. We went over and spoke to them and they were as amazed as we were that we had bumped into them once again. They said they only go to Walt Disney World once or maybe twice a year. Somehow we just seem to always be on the same schedule as us.

Anyway, after we finished talking to them, we headed on and wrapped up our tour of EPCOT. We had reservations for The Spirit of Aloha dinner show at the Polynesian resort for 5:15 pm. As we were parking at the Polynesian, we noticed the dark clouds rolling in. We walked to the Luau Cove as thunder was booming and lightning was flashing. No rain yet, though. Shortly after we were seated, the rain began. The dining area is enclosed in terms of having a roof, but the sides are open. We were seated at a table that was furthest from the stage. It still had a good view of the stage, but it was further away. The importance of mentioning this is that the rain was blowing in from the direction of the stage, and it was completely saturating the first two rows of tables. We were getting a bit of a mist at times, but nothing like the dousing the people nearest the stage were getting.

After being served our appetizers and entrees, an announcement was made that there would be no show. We were told that if we had put the dinner show on our credit cards that we should go back to our hotel for a complete refund. We left there in the pouring rain a bit disappointed. We had gotten fed, except for the dessert, and were going to get our money back, but we were now soaking wet and we would not be able to take in the show this trip as they book so far in advance.

We went back to the hotel and got to bed earlier than usual. Tomorrow would be our last day at the parks.

(To Be Continued)

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 13 June 2004 - 11:29 AM

Our family always fights over where to eat in World Showcase and the women are usually the one's who win. For future reference, for lunch, you should all split up and get what you want at the counter service for that country and then meet somewhere where you can all sit down and eat together.

#3 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney. Should there be anything else?

Posted 13 June 2004 - 01:46 PM

When you went to the Poly, did you take a bus by chance, or drive your vehicles?

There are not many places I really enjoy in the WS for food. Germany and Itlay are my top two.

#4 User is offline   rob_wilson 

• Resident Game Show Expert
  • Interests:Disney, Trivia

Posted 13 June 2004 - 02:15 PM

trendymagic said:

When you went to the Poly, did you take a bus by chance, or drive your vehicles?

There are not many places I really enjoy in the WS for food. Germany and Itlay are my top two.

We took our van. We haven't eaten at Germany, but we have eaten at Mexico, China, Italy, United Kingdom, United States, and Canada.

Rob

#5 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 13 June 2004 - 03:48 PM

I've eaten at Germany's counter service place and it's great! I must admit I love schnitzel so I'm a bit bias but it was great.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users