• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WDW 1/2/2009 thru 1/16/2009

#1 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:47 PM

Given I’m a local and go to WDW frequently, I don’t plan to give details of each day but rather note any new or unusual experiences my 2 friends from NJ and I had while staying at our OKW timeshare this past week.

Let’s start with the OKW rooms. We always get a two bedroom suite and a studio so each of us has our own bedroom and bathroom. This year we were in building 13 which is right across from the Hospitality House (check-in). While the 2 bedroom is VERY spacious, this building is in need of a refurb. The couches were a bit grubby, the kitchen cabinets were a bit tired and the bathrooms have seen better days. For example, the faucet in my shower didn’t turn all the way off, one of our toilets had a broken bolt attaching it to floor so it “wiggled” a bit when you used it, etc. I still love the accommodations at OKW but hope DVC does a refurb on building 13 very soon.

My general impression of the parks… Aside from Saturday, the 17th, the parks were relatively empty and wait times were, for the most part, minimal. It seems WDW over-ordered Christmas napkins and paper cups as they were still using them in most locations. I saw quite a few guests with “It’s my Birthday” buttons so it looks like people are taking advantage of WDW’s promotion for goodies on their birthday.

Next, on to DHS (still MGM to me)…

TSM…We took advantage of morning Extra Magic Hours since my friends hadn’t yet been on TSM. We managed 2 rides of TSM before regular rope drop and went on a few other rides while waiting for our fastpasses to be valid. During the first ride Mr. Potato Head was not working at all and on the second pass there were looooong pauses between phrases. I had a new personal best on TSM with a score of 166,800 - yipee!!! On our fastpass ride of TSM the ride went down and were evacuated. It was really cool to see how they unfold the area between the two cars to create steps to get down to the floor.

GMR… Was lucky enough to see a familiar CM as Mugsy on GMR but was in the rear of the second car so I couldn’t wave hi…sorry!

BPB... It appears they have tweaked the parade so you can stand at any location on the route and see the action and performance. It has two Party Zones, Hollywood Boulevard Party Zone and Echo Lake Party Zone. The CMs are stretched along the entire Party Zone performing before moving to next Party Zone. While the music and activities are the same, I like it much better than the previous version because you don't need to be in a certain location to view the action.

AIE…On Wednesday, we were in the audience for the first show of the first day of soft opening. Let me preface this by saying I’m not a fan of the AI show and not quite as bad as I expected. The stage of AIE is awesome but I’m still not enthralled with the attraction. I suspect 2 of the 3 performers were CMs since they only showed video clips of one singer going through the audition process. Additionally, the host was waaaaay perky and the banter was annoying. All 3 singers were adequate but not exceptional. One kid (I forget his name) had a great vibe and stage presence and a good raw voice but needs some vocal coaching (although I think he was a plant and thus may have been “singing down”). The judges were mildly entertaining but I felt they didn’t bring anything extra to the show since their input is meaningless given the audience determines the winner. All in all I won’t be rushing to stand in line to see another show anytime soon.

On to MK… Not exactly sure what they were doing but they had a crane up next to the castle all week. Initially, it looked like they were just taking down the net lighting from the holidays but then later in the week it appeared that they may be doing some cleaning or rehab. Some of the blue roof structures seemed to be very shiny as though they had just been painted or power washed. They had construction walls around both the Galaxy Palace Theater and the old Skyway landing platform (near Space Mountain) in Tomorrowland. When we rode TTA (aka People Mover), we could see that some sort of construction was already underway.

Final stop is EPCOT… We did pretty much everything at EPCOT and then decided to try something new. All I can say about EPCOT is that Kim Possible ROCKS!!!!! :!: :!: While none of us was familiar with the Kim Possible TV show, we decided to do one mission during the soft opening just to see what it was all about and ended up doing all 7 missions (some more than once). You sign up to be secret agents to assist Kim Possible in various missions. Once you receive your mission and your Kimmunicator, an interactive, handheld, cell phone like device, you head out to your assigned country and follow the clues provided by Wade through the Kimmunicator. I don’t want to give away too much and spoil the fun but with the Kimmunicator you actually are able to trigger some pretty cool special effects!!! The 7 countries participating in Kim Possible are: China, France, Germany, Japan, Mexico, Norway and the United Kingdom. Additionally, each country’s clues and tasks vary each time you do that country’s mission so it’s fun to do a specific country/mission multiple times. I suggest everyone do at least one mission next time they’re at EPCOT and it’s as much fun for little kids as it is for adults! While we were there one mission had a few technical difficulties such as special FX not working but the minor glitches were far surpassed by the coolness of this adventure!!!!!! There are already a few videos on YouTube if you want to see how the Kimmunicator works and view a mission however, it will spoil some of the fun and surprises….
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for sharing your report!

#3 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:09 AM

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us Debbie; especially the AI experience.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users