• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Would You Do?...WDW version

#1 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney World, Harry Potter, Star Wars and my family

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:35 AM

I consider myself an experienced WDW visitor and sometimes find myself in What Would You Do situations...for example a couple months ago I decided to make the 45min wait for TSM and had a family behind me talking between them, you can't help but overhear and they were talking about how they went to MK the day before and were at BTM and had to sprint to SM to make their FP's time. I turned around and butted into their conversation and explained how the fp really worked and that they could use it any time after the first time printed. AFter that they started asking me questions about different tips and strategies and thanked me for my valuable information.
Yesterday I went to MK, arrived around 11am and the lines for both monorail and ferry boat were gigantic!! I could forsee a 45 minute wait for both of them, so I went to the resort monorail, I felt pretty bad that I didn't tell a soul that they could take this monorail to MK, at the top of the plataform I only had 7 people in front of me and the person in front was felling giddy that he knew about this little trick and that all those "poor suckers down there" didn't. This made me feel worse. The CM who he was talking to replied, this is a secret we don't want out there because then the people that pay alot of money for satying in the MK resorts would have to wait longer.
Then on route to MK on the monorail there was another family. Dad was busy on his Iphone, kids were looking excited but the mom was the one that really caught my eye. You could put a caption of "commando style planning" under her picture. She had a notebook, she had printed maps, she had printed flashcards. She was talking to her husband (who wasn't really listening) about THE PLAN. Go in get SM fp, ride Buzz, etc...as she kept going I saw serious flaws in her plans...like not scheduling breaks, or meals, or any sort of down time. I did not get involved this time, she seemed she might punch me if I gave any sort of critique to her itinerary.
So have you been in these sort of situations? What Would You Do?
Por favor mantenganse alejados de las puertas

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:41 AM

I usually feel compelled to offer advice to people that I'm on a bus or monorail with if they seem to be at a loss.

#3 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

View PostQuickGold, on 16 March 2011 - 10:41 AM, said:

I usually feel compelled to offer advice to people that I'm on a bus or monorail with if they seem to be at a loss.

same here. If they look "lost" I do try to help

and if they get mad I just introduce myself as Matt Hochberg from studioscentral.com
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#4 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:23 AM

It depends on the situation. I usually do provide hints & tips if someone looks "lost" but if, as in Yulilin's case, they don't look approachable, then I keep my distance. If they're a "newbie" I try not to provide too much info because I find their eyes start to glaze over. What DOES amaze me is how many people go to WDW for the first time having done ZERO research/planning. Some don't even know about FP, EMH, etc.
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#5 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

Simply put....I'd "but" in! :) WDW is usually the place where people don't feel shy about talking to strangers. I find people very open when I strike up a conversation with them no matter the subject.

#6 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:58 AM

View PostMJMcBride, on 16 March 2011 - 09:47 PM, said:

same here. If they look "lost" I do try to help

and if they get mad I just introduce myself as Matt Hochberg from studioscentral.com

Eh, I'm okay with the shameless plugs. Remember, there's no such thing as bad press..... ;)

#7 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:17 AM

View PostQuickGold, on 17 March 2011 - 10:58 AM, said:

Eh, I'm okay with the shameless plugs. Remember, there's no such thing as bad press..... ;)

LOL very true, very true
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#8 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God
  • Interests:My Children and Family, Disney, Games, UFC

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:07 PM

If a a small group looks like they could use help I am happy to offer it. I consider it more or less akin to giving away a fastpass. :)

If a crowd of people is going the wrong way (like the longer monorail line) I am not going to stand in front of the crowd, get on my soap box and try to change the world. Even though I am not one to take something at anothers expense... a big part of the benefits of planning and understanding Disney only work becaue most everyone else doesn't. :)

Bottom line... I am a big fan of helping to improve an indaviduals experience, but can't see myself trying to change the flow of traffic. I always stop and take pictures for people for example...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users