• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I'm no Iron Chef...

#1 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:17 PM

... but when the desire is there, I am capable of cooking actual food. Why, just tonight, I made myself a tasty chicken & salsa meal. Could have used some more salsa, but regardless, it was yum-tastic!

What kind of things do you like to cook? I don't know about you, but I would love to cook fish. Anybody got any recipes they'd like to share on that?
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#2 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:49 PM

Cookies, Pie, Cake, Brownies, etc. :)

#3 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God
  • Interests:My Children and Family, Disney, Games, UFC

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:12 PM

My favorite place to get recipes is www.allrecipes.com.

That website brought me from 0 to 1000 on the cooking scale. Every time I go to a potluck or cook for friends and family my dishes are all the rage. My particular favorites right now are:

Cheesecake (Everyone who has it says it is the best they have ever had)
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chantals-New-...ake/Detail.aspx

Pineapple Bacon Burgers
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pineapple-Bac...ers/Detail.aspx

Worlds best mashed taters one person has told me they were not his favorite... he said they were his second favorite)
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Garlic-Mashed...ipe/Detail.aspx

On this site you can save recipes in your own little recipe book, you can organize it however you'd like and you can even print a shopping list based on what you want to cook. When you search for something look for the highest rating with the highest number of reviews. Read a few reviews because sometimes people will give it a 5 and say things like... cut the salt in half, or add a bit of this.

Anyway, this website is the best cooking resource I have ever found!

Your welcome.

#4 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:20 PM

I love to make chili. I make it usually once a week and it's a great meal :)

#5 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:59 PM

I've found the recipes from epicurious.com to be reliable, and they have really wide range of dishes.

The only other recipe page I have bookmarked is the recipe page at AllEars (Mainly for the Zebra Dome Recipe!): http://allears.net/din/rec.htm

#6 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:10 PM

Hmmm. I cook a bunch of stuff... chili, black beans & rice w/ chicken, chicken cordon bleu, corned beef w/ cabbage/potatoes/carrots, creme brulee, tiramisu, pumpkin cheesecake, red hot ribs, Portugese shrimp & yellow rice, Boma's ginger carrot soup, pot roast, chili rellenos casserole, gumbo, pork BBQ, meatloaf, etc., etc......,

And I just cooked collard greens for the first time Thanksgiving (hubby & family are from the South - Mississippi & FL) - not too much pressure for a first try!! :roll:

COH... I usually just rub the fish with a bit of spices and quickly saute or bake in the oven (unless I'm making paella).
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#7 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:47 AM

My primary recipe site is myrecipes.com, however I find allrecipes.com, epicurious.com, and recipezaar.com also useful. The Food Network site also has good recipes occasionally (Alton Brown: Yes; Rachael Ray: Meh.)

I have actually been impressed with the power of the broiler in the last few years. I think fish with some fat content, like salmon, does very well with very little effort in the broiler.

#8 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:26 AM

about.com also has great recipes! They have especially good southern recipes and I use that website often, too. And yeah, Alton Brown ROCKS!!! Not crazy about Rachael Ray or Paula Dean. They're both too perky and Giada's head is too big for her body. I'm so distracted by her head/body ratio that I can't focus on what she's cooking!

COH - What type of fish do you want to cook? Delicate textured fish like cod needs to be cooked differently than fish with a more hearty texture like tuna.
Debbie
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

www.congaloosh.org

#9 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:12 PM

When I cook, I need simple recipes. I'm far too lazy to take an hour to prepare and cook everything. Ideally, it is all prepared in one dish/bowl and then cooked somehow. The less mess, the better.

#10 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:47 PM

HDLady said:

COH - What type of fish do you want to cook? Delicate textured fish like cod needs to be cooked differently than fish with a more hearty texture like tuna.

I was thinking something like my mother used to make when I was living with her, like tilapia or salmon.

To a greater extent (and ashamed to admit), I'm more like Matt when it comes to making meals. Quick & Easy.
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#11 User is offline   robmck3898 

• Studios Regular

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:04 PM

I like to cook pork chops on the grill. I am the kind of person that never uses the same exact spices twice. I always try to find a way to top the flavor or add a new twist to it.

#12 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

Sorry for this random old thread bumping, but I didn't really want to start a new one...So today I grilled some chicken using a marinade recipe I got from Jiko on Allears.net:

http://allears.net/d...pes/rec_cbm.htm

The recipe's for shrimp, but I used chicken because I don't have too much faith in seafood right now after the oil spill... Anyway, I hadn't seen a dairy-based marinade before, so I figured I might as well give it a shot. The recipe was fantastic and the chicken turned out great!

#13 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

I make decent toast but thats about it
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#14 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:01 AM

Recently created a yummy meal from misc stuff in my pantry.... named it Chicken Babylonia in honor of the Adventurers Club. Chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces in a saucepan w/ canned diced tomatoes, canned sliced mushrooms & canned marinated artichoke hearts (drained). Add whatever spices you like (onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper...) & let simmer on low until chicken is done. Serve over wide egg noodles w/ a salad.
Debbie

www.congaloosh.org

#15 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:22 PM

View PostHDLady, on 25 October 2010 - 05:01 AM, said:

Recently created a yummy meal from misc stuff in my pantry.... named it Chicken Babylonia in honor of the Adventurers Club. Chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces in a saucepan w/ canned diced tomatoes, canned sliced mushrooms & canned marinated artichoke hearts (drained). Add whatever spices you like (onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper...) & let simmer on low until chicken is done. Serve over wide egg noodles w/ a salad.

when do we get invited?
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#16 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:41 PM

View PostMJMcBride, on 25 October 2010 - 05:22 PM, said:

when do we get invited?

I love to cook & cook almost every night so come on over ANYTIME!!!!! Best improvement I've done to my house is converting from electric to propane for cooking!!!!
Debbie

www.congaloosh.org

#17 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:39 AM

I love to cook, but I hate to clean. If I could cook without having to clean up after myself, I'd be cooking every day!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users