• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The "other" Studios: Transformers

#1 User is offline   General Specific 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:09 PM

From Screamscape

The big news today from Universal Studios and Resorts World at Sentosa was the unveiling of the plans to build a major theme park mega-attraction based on the Transformers film series that will open first at the new Universal Studios Singapore theme park, to be followed by a copy at Universal Studios Hollywood by 2011. While there are no solid details about the exact ride system itself, I’ve got to wonder if this may be the next evolution use of the ride system used on the award-winning Spiderman dark rides in Orlando and Japan. Certainly the omission of those two popular markets for the attraction does raise an eyebrow, though Orlando currently has it’s hands full with Harry Potter. Still... if there was any other movie theme that would really warrant the use of the Spiderman ride system, Tranformers would be it, allowing for a mix of real in your face special effects mixed with giant 3D projection technology to bring the giant battle-bots to life.
According to the article in Variety, the Hollywood version of the ride will replace Backdraft and the Special Effects Soundstages attraction with construction set to begin ‘after Labor Day”, which I assume is Labor Day in 2009.
Now for some quotes from the press release as well as an impressive piece of concept artwork.
“The attraction will fuse 3D-HD media, mega special effects and stunning robotics with a ride system that will transform perceptions of theme park experiences. The rides are scheduled to make their debuts first at Universal Studios Singapore and then at Universal Studios Hollywood, both prior to summer, 2011.”
In "Transformers," Earth’s humans are caught in the middle of an intergalactic war between the friendly Autobots and the evil Decepticons, which are able to change into a variety of objects, including cars, trucks, planes and other technological creations.
Tom Williams, Chairman and CEO, Universal Parks & Resorts, said: "Transformers will be a jewel in our collection of world-class rides based on great movies. We’re thrilled to be collaborating with Hasbro, DreamWorks, director Michael Bay and the film’s executive producer, Steven Spielberg, who has been responsible for so many of our signature rides and attractions."
Tan Hee Teck, Chief Executive Officer of Resorts World at Sentosa, the mega resort that is home to Universal Studios Singapore, said: "It is great that Asia will be the launch pad for the first Transformers attraction. Transformers was introduced to the United States in 1983 but traces its roots to Asia. Optimus Prime, Bumblebee and Megatron are familiar names to Asian audiences, who grew up with the robot toys and love the movie. When Transformers opens in Universal Studios Singapore in 2011, it will be the first of its kind in the world. We may see a surge of Transformers mania.’’

Considering that the Spiderman Dark Ride at Universal Orlando is one of the greatest dark rides ever built, this could have some real potential. I hope that Orlando may be included in the list of Universal parks that the Transformers are sent to.

Anyway, it's picture time.

http://www.screamscape.com/assets/images/d...rmers1_8003.jpg

http://www.screamscape.com/assets/images/d...rmers2_6002.jpg

http://www.screamscape.com/assets/images/d...rmers3_6001.jpg

#2 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:05 PM

OK... Home Imagineering time.

I was thinking of something along the lines of the Indy/Dinosaur ride vehicles. Add a large armature to the motion base that can raise the seating platform up about 12 feet or so... and the vehicle BECOMES a Transformer!

Easy enough to do the effect of the "walking", and you could pass "windows" that would show the "real" transformer you're inside...

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:54 PM

Very interesting idea. Regardless of your feelings for Universal, anything Transformers is just plain cool

#4 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:43 PM

I agree wholeheartedly.

Too bad Michael Bay had to do Pearl Harbor with Disney and not Transformers... Disney already has a working relationship with Hasbro for the Toy Story stuff...

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#5 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:27 PM

They also have a working relationship on the transformers line as well. Saw on a toy site that apparently there are prototypes of vehicles that transform into Disney Characters.
Professionals admit to the problem. Alcoholics claim they have no problem.

Field Agent Indy reporting for the next World Showcase Mission

#6 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:50 AM

Too Bad its not coming to Orlando.... It would give me a reason to go over there lol

#7 User is offline   General Specific 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:09 PM

darthstich said:

Too Bad its not coming to Orlando.... It would give me a reason to go over there lol

There's always The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at IOA.

#8 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:06 PM

I wonder why they never put Spiderman in over in Hollywood. That would give me a reason to go over there.

#9 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:17 PM

General Specific said:

darthstich said:

There's always The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at IOA.

Exactly.... lol
I've been to IOA and it is a decent park, the Spidey Ride is awesome, never been to the actually Universal side though.

#10 User is offline   Cinerama513 

• Studios Regular
  • Interests:Film, Theater, Amusement parks

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:12 PM

Don't call me a traitor, but I love IOA and USF. I have annual passes to both Disney and Universal.

#11 User is offline   DC1309 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:54 PM

Cinerama513 said:

Don't call me a traitor, but I love IOA and USF. I have annual passes to both Disney and Universal.

There is nothing wrong with that. Both parks need each other to try and out do each other. We benefit from this though..

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users