• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mickey Mouse VS Harry Potter

#1 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:27 PM

The more and more i hear about the new Harry Potter section coming to Universal the more it has me wondering, what the heck is Disney doing about it? The thoughts of a whole Harry Potter land has gotten me thinking of skipping work at the Studios for a day at Universal to check it out, which is saying a lot for a Disneyphile/Cat Member such as myself. But Disney doesn't really seem to have anything coming out to coincide with the release, which will just be a huge punch in the gut for Disney's profits. Harry Potter is one of the most popular book and movie series of this generation, and Disney has let it slip through there fingers. We need to come up with something huge to fight back or it could really hurt us, since Harry has huge appeal not only in the States but around the world. Is there something that i'm not aware of that Disney is working on, or what should they be doing to prepare for this?

#2 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:43 PM

IMO, this is more like Universal's response to Disney. As for what Disney is working on... there ARE those leaked Fantasyland blueprints...

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:29 PM

As I've said before, Disney is lightyears ahead of Universal these days and Harry potter is something Universal is doing to try to catch up. Disney does not need to respond in a "blow for blow" kind of situation.

#4 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:46 PM

I don't think it will be a blow to Disney. Universal is still in Triple-A.

#5 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:48 PM

I agree with some of the others here. Universal hasn't proven they can effect Disney attendance at all. Maybe if Potter has some effect on Disney attendance Disney will respond but the fact is when IOA opened it did not dent Disney
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#6 User is offline   chopsva 

• Studios Regular

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:51 PM

As a sign of maybe just how little Disney sees Potter as a concern, the latest Insider I received yesterday had a link to "Which Harry Potter charactor is your child like?" Go figure. :rolleyes:

#7 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:52 PM

Even better, LOL... they were advertising for The Wizards of Waverly Place in an email with this headline: "See magic without a wand"

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#8 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:45 PM

the best way for Disney to fight the Potter to stuff is, sad to say, extend Free Dining. That brings in more people then a new E-Ticket
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#9 User is offline   acp 

• Studios God

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:42 AM

Personally, I don't think Disney needs to do anything about it. Disney has nothing to prove by doing so, and nothing to gain. Universal's always been playing catch-up to Disney and I really don't think that their Harry Potter land will change anything.

After all, I think a lot of people who visit Walt Disney World schedule in a couple of days to go to Universal/SeaWorld/Busch and vice versa, and they'll continue to do that. Adding an extra land to Universal won't make them instantly want to spend more time there than at Disney.

Andy.
Andy.
Former Disney-MGM Studios Cast Member.

Studios Central Worlds Apart Column

#10 User is offline   Studio Kid 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Visiting the Studios

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:26 AM

i think the fantasyland blueprint leaks are hiding something bigger that disney is planning ;)... I hope

#11 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:54 AM

Like smaller price increases
JAMBO EVERYONE!

#12 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:49 PM

View PostYoPaulie, on Aug 26 2009, 08:52 PM, said:

Even better, LOL... they were advertising for The Wizards of Waverly Place in an email with this headline: "See magic without a wand"

Ugh, Wizards of Waverly Place is a terrible reminder to me about how badly Disney would have liked to have gotten the rights to Potter. It is just painful to watch at times considering their desire to have it. Then to kind of screw with everything a little more, they do have the TV rights to the movies.

I don't see it as a threat to Disney, but it is certainly a Wizarding mess when you think about what they would have preferred to have done.
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users