Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Moving Closer to the Mouse

#1 User is offline   frontiersman87 

• Studios Newbie
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:09 PM

Right now I live just a little over 2.5 hours away from Walt Disney World, but I have always thought about being closer to the parks. After much consideration I have finally decided to pack up and make the move (planning on moving by the end of December/early January). But now comes the hard part, finding a good place to call home. Knowing that there are a few of you on these forums from the Orlando area, I thought why not turn to the Disney community and get some suggestions about areas to look into.
Just some additional info, I would like to get an apartment and hoping to spend under $1,000/mo.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

#2 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:51 AM

We live in Poinciana (a large single family homes community) and some of the houses are used as rentals. Not sure if you would be interested in living in a rental house. There are pluses and minuses to the area. Poinciana is fairly close to WDW (approx 20 miles) but there's esentially only one road - Poinciana Blvd - so traffic can get a bit congested. BTW, I moved from NJ to the area in 2003 mostly because I wanted to be close to Disney but far enough away to avoid all the touristy issues. If you would like more info, email me at dt51@att.net with a subject of "Poinciana - Studios Central" so I don't delete the email thinking it's spam!
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:45 AM

There are lots of nice apartment complexes in area surrounding WDW. I found the prices to be good, although the closer you are to WDW, the more expensive. If you don't mind a 15+ minute drive, prices drop significantly.

#4 User is offline   frontiersman87 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:22 PM

Thanks, HDLady. I had not consider renting a home, since I will be the only one living in the place, but if the price is reasonable it would definitely be something to look into. Never heard of Poinciana before, so I will do some research on the area and if I have any questions I will definitely send an email out.

#5 User is offline   frontiersman87 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

I wanted to thank you guys for the info, I decided to rent an apartment in Hunters Creek (move up on the 30th).

Anyways, I though I would post this here instead of starting another topic. For those of you that live close to Disney World, has your view of the parks changed at all? Since I only was able to make it up to Disney World twice a year, the excitement was always there when I entered the parks for the first time, do you guys still get that excitement or has that feeling diminished?

#6 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:39 PM

Before moving from NJ to Kissimmee in 2003, I only made it to WDW once or twice a year so I know exactly what you're asking. For me, the excitement is there but it's a different type of excitement. It's a more relaxed experience being able to visit a park for a couple of hours rather than trying to cram everything into a week or two while on vacation. You have the time to explore the parks in a more lesiurely way and discover some of the more subtle nooks a crannies at each park. We often go to a park just to see/do one or 2 things. Last week we went to DHS one night just to ride Toy Story & see Osborne lights for the 3rd time this season. This week, we went to EPCOT just to see Illumination with the the holiday tag. Having that flexibility is very, very cool! It's also fun to know the parks well enough to be asked to play "tour guide" by friends not as familiar with the parks!

BTW, welcome to Florida!!!!
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#7 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:34 AM

Congrats on the new digs!

#8 User is offline   frontiersman87 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

Thanks!

That is good to hear that the excitement is still there, even if it takes on a different form. I am definitely looking forward to enjoying the parks in a more relaxed fashion,and discovering those little things that you normally pass right on by while hurrying up to wait in line for the next attraction.

#9 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:45 AM

Congratulations on the move. I hope to be a neighbor someday in the future. <day dreaming> :rolleyes:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users