• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sci Fi Dine In

#21 User is offline   Eric 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:36 AM

One complaint I have with the Sci Fi is that it isn't set up well for groups of more than 2 people. It is just too hard to talk to each other sittin gside by side in those cars. Strangely, that is also part of the restaurant's appeal.
Eric
www.MouseGuest.com

"Universal is like Wal-Mart with roller coasters."
- Buzz Ardman to Paige Turner, 11/1/08

#22 User is offline   Meet me at the Derby 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:42 AM

Sci-Fi is a must DO for my family. We always go for lunch and have burgers or sandwiches. While i agree the food is just average, it's not the food that keeps us coming back. This is one of the best "retreats" in all WDW. When it's 95 degrees outside and the crowds are enormous, there is no place better to relax in the Studios. It's cool, dark, quiet, and feels uncrowded. So many Disney eateries are loud, with tables and chairs literally bumping into each other. But Sci-Fi is so different, and relaxing, that it's worth overlooking the average food. To it's credit, the milkshakes and raspberry lemonade are surpurb.

Now if my vacations were in the winter, i might be tempted to skip SciFi in favor of a better meal. But you just can't beat the refreshing atmosphere it provides during the hot, crowded summer.

#23 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:04 AM

View PostEric, on Jun 30 2009, 11:36 AM, said:

One complaint I have with the Sci Fi is that it isn't set up well for groups of more than 2 people. It is just too hard to talk to each other sittin gside by side in those cars. Strangely, that is also part of the restaurant's appeal.

HeeHee, that's another reason we like it. It's kind of like a built in break for us parents. Kids sit in front together and we sit behind them, we don't have to keep them entertained and we feel like we're almost eating a meal with just the 2 of us.

#24 User is offline   IHeartTheStudios 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:10 AM

View Postjbwolffiv, on Jun 29 2009, 08:39 AM, said:

I try to avoid it at all costs! My daughter likes to go there and it is just below average food with very slow service. But we do get there about once a year. Fortunately my daughter agrees that we should eat somewhere that we could not at home. Thus we have and ADR for T-Rex in August. I just hope it looks really cool in there, because I expect the food and service to be similar.

I went to TRex right after it first opened. I actually liked the food better than Rainforest Cafe and it's definately neat inside. The only downfall was that it was LOUD. I don't mean usual Disney restaurant loud, but super loud. It's sort of big and cavernous and everything is a hard surface so it just bounces the sound. And every once on awhile there's a meteor shower or something which is even louder. We kind of just had to stop talking and wait until it was over. I went with a couple of friends and we all said that the food was awesome but we probably wouldn't go back. However, if I had kids, or if I have friends in town with kids who are in to dinos I would definately take them there.

#25 User is offline   jbwolffiv 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Photography and hockey

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:13 PM

View PostIHeartTheStudios, on Jul 4 2009, 10:10 AM, said:

I went to TRex right after it first opened. I actually liked the food better than Rainforest Cafe and it's definately neat inside. The only downfall was that it was LOUD. I don't mean usual Disney restaurant loud, but super loud. It's sort of big and cavernous and everything is a hard surface so it just bounces the sound. And every once on awhile there's a meteor shower or something which is even louder. We kind of just had to stop talking and wait until it was over. I went with a couple of friends and we all said that the food was awesome but we probably wouldn't go back. However, if I had kids, or if I have friends in town with kids who are in to dinos I would definately take them there.

Thanks for the info, makes me look forward to this a little more. We are eating there for a late lunch and then seeing La Nouba for the first time.
John

#26 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:03 PM

You're in for a good time. La Nouba is really cool.

#27 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:50 AM

View PostFigaro, on Jun 30 2009, 09:34 AM, said:

...The food to me tastes like anything we can get at a diner here at home.

That's one of the reasons I like Prime Time. Besides the kvetching, as a born & raised Jersey Girl, there aren't diners down here in FL like there are up in the NE.... One of the few things I miss since I moved in 2003!i
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#28 User is offline   ghost1000 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:56 PM

We have an ADR at the Sci-Fi tomorrow at 1:30. I have a list of the trailers they show and I'll be taking it with me. So I'll know first if the trailers are the same or not. I'll report back.
~~ Rita

#29 User is offline   ghost1000 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:45 PM

The trailers were shown in the usual order. That is:

Devil Girl from Mars
It Conquered the World
Attack of the 50 Foot Woman
The Amazing Colossal Man
The Horror of Party Beach
The Giant Gila Monster
Frankenstein Meets the Space Monster
Plan 9 from Outer Space
Invasion of the Saucer Men
Robot Monster
Cat-Women of the Moon
Missile to the Moon

But there was something added. The Andrew Sisters (or someone like that) singing, "King Size Coke has more for you," shortly after Missile to the Moon.
~~ Rita

#30 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for the report :D

#31 User is offline   ghost1000 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:05 PM

As it turns out, it was the McGuire Sisters, not the Andrews Sisters.

http://tinyurl.com/yhewnju
~~ Rita

#32 User is offline   ghost1000 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:36 AM

DH and I had lunch at the Sci-Fi on Saturday, December 5. We got two different stories about the"King size Coke". Our server (who I can't remember her name) told us it was an older video that was resurrected because the newer one broke. But Michael (our favorite server at the Sci-Fi, who we didn't get this time) told us they switch the videos every 2-3 years. We didn't think to ask if the King size Coke replaced anything.
~~ Rita

#33 User is offline   TowerOfTerrorFreak 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:FIRST OF ALL My Husband! Music, Tower Of Terror, Tower Of Terror, Aerosmith, The Beatles, My iPod, Tower Of Terror....and Tower Of Terror

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:58 PM

I love this place. This is a CAN'T MISS on my list when i go. Food taste fine to me. :)

~*~*~*~TOWER OF TERROR~*~*~*~*~

Ladies and Gentlemen Welcome to the Hollywood Tower Hotel. We would like to remind you that the Twilight Zone Tower Of Terror features a high speed drop and you should be in good health free from heart condition back or neck problems, or any other physical conditions which could be aggravated by this adventure. We are sorry but children under thee seven years of age are not, not accompanied by an adult or guest that do not meet the 40 in. height requirement may not ride. While waiting to check in we ask that you step all the way forward and fill in all thee available space around you. Food and Drinks should be finished upon entering the hotel lobby and for the courtesy of those around you smoking is not permitted. Also for your safety we ask that you and your children do not stand or walk on the garden walls. Thank you and do enjoy your stay at the Hollywood Tower Hotel. (I know they dont say this exact announcement anymore..but....I like this one so....yea........lol!!)

Tower Of Terror : 105 TIMES!!!

*~*~*~Jackie~*~*~*

I LOVE WALT DISNEY!!!!!!

#34 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:01 AM

After years of being unable to get ADR's at this place, my nephew finally got to eat at the Sci-Fi during his vacation. Not sure how he got in, and I haven't heard how he liked it. When I do, I'll let you know.
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#35 User is offline   jbwolffiv 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:33 PM

We ate here last summer (for lunch) for the first time and loved it. Food was ok, but that was expected and we loved the onion rings, plus my 8 year old daughter loved all the movie trailers and sitting in a car. We just made our ADR for this July to go back!
John

#36 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:22 PM

There is something very cool about the feel of the place. The theming and such is just better than your standard table meal. The more outlandish the idea, the more chance there is that people won't be satisfied I guess. You make a mistake if you plan to have a group conversation/meal there, but I think the experience is enjoyable enough to puton the should do list.
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#37 User is offline   crazydisneyman 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

View PostThe Dark Lord of the Sith, on Feb 4 2010, 09:22 PM, said:

There is something very cool about the feel of the place. The theming and such is just better than your standard table meal. The more outlandish the idea, the more chance there is that people won't be satisfied I guess. You make a mistake if you plan to have a group conversation/meal there, but I think the experience is enjoyable enough to puton the should do list.

I agree about the theming and atmosphere. It is amazing, and lots of fun. For conversation, we like the round tables at the back. We really enjoyed ourselves sitting there and it made for a good time.

#38 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:22 PM

View Postcrazydisneyman, on Feb 8 2010, 12:35 PM, said:

I agree about the theming and atmosphere. It is amazing, and lots of fun. For conversation, we like the round tables at the back. We really enjoyed ourselves sitting there and it made for a good time.

I agree. The seating arrangements at the round tables versus the cars is much more enjoyable. Plus, you have a better chance of getting a seat if you feel the need to do a walk-up instead of an ADR.

#39 User is offline   LuvThatDuck 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:37 PM

The kids love the place, including the movies and the glowing ice cubes. It is waaaaay overpriced, IMHO. The Reuben sandwhiches are decent and the fries are good. Unfortunately, it is a destination every time due to the kids. I prefer the 50's Prime Time

#40 User is offline   jbwolffiv 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:52 PM

We did this again this summer and had an ok time. I think we wanted it to be super fun and all like the first time we went, but it was not to be. I still loved the onion rings and shake though!
John

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users