Studios Central: Trip Report 10/29 - 11/02 - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trip Report 10/29 - 11/02

#1 User is offline   wishingtree 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney, music and sports(especially hockey)

Posted 04 November 2002 - 11:33 PM

Well, I'm back. This was the most exhausting trip to WDW I have ever had. My wife and mother decided that we had to make it a short trip so the kids wouldn't miss too much school. I argued, but no luck in changing their minds.

10/29 Our 8:30 PM flight out of Philadelphia is delayed over an hour because of rain and sleet. We finally get to AKL at 1:00 AM Wednesday.

10/30 Breakfast in the concierge lounge. This is the first time I have used the concierge and I'm hooked. The breakfast offerings are not a full blown buffet, but mostly danish, fruit, cold cereals and oatmeal. More than enough to get you started.
We decided to go to the MK because we had tickets to the 999 Happy Haunts Ball that evening. We did all the usual rides. I have never seen so many characters around the park. They were everywhere. The lines were short with no waits. At 2PM we had to go to the Transportation & Ticket center to check in for the Ball.
We hung around the train station to see the character cavalcade. Tons of characters dancing around in the streets and then the mayor's float comes out and he declares everyone honorary citizens of Main Street.
The first event of the Happy Haunts Ball was a presentation in the Tiki Room by an Imagineer about the history, design and construction of the Haunted Mansion. Then there was a buffet dinner that was held at Pecos Bill's, Liberty Tree Tavern, and the Columbia Harbor House. Great food. A story teller in the alley next to the Hall of Presidents told the story of Sleepy Hollow. When the story was over, the Headless Horseman came galloping into Liberty Square. Unlike the Not So Scary Halloween Party, he stayed in the square for a few minutes. The Haunted Mansion was surrounded by thick fog, which really added to the atmosphere. We then took the haunted riverboat cruise, which featured a storyteller and music. Since only Frontierland and Liberty Square was open, I decided to ride Big Thunder and Splash Mountain while my wife waited in line to see one of the fortune tellers that were set up in the streets. Big Thunder was nearly empty and I rode 4 times without getting off the ride. Splash Mountain was also deserted. I was the only person on the ride that I could see. On our way out of the park, we stopped to pick up the photo that was taken earlier, and also a special gift, which was a limited edition replica of the plaque at the entrance to the Haunted Mansion. It was a great night and I can't wait for next year's event.

It's getting late. More to come........

Jim

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 04 November 2002 - 11:39 PM

Wow Jim...I had no idea the Ball could be so great. Also, unless you have a time machine, those dates should read October and not November, right? :( Thanks for posting!

#3 User is offline   wishingtree 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 05 November 2002 - 11:34 AM

10/31 We started the day at EPCOT. Test Track had no wait. Actually the only long line in the park was at the pin station by the fountain, because the Halloween pins were just released. We rode the Maelstrom and saw the American Adventure before leaving from the International gateway so I could go to MGM to get the Halloween pins. While the family took the bus back to the hotel, I rode RNR coaster then headed back to meet them. The kids got their costumes and did the costume parade through the hotel.
Then it was off to the MK for Mickey's HAlloween Party. Trick or treating stations all over the park, almost all attractions were open, an awesome parade and fireworks. The lines for the rides were the longest we saw all trip, but still less than 10 minutes. I highly recommend MNSSHP.

11/01 We started the day by taking a fishing excursion from the Contemporary's marina. This is the second time we have done it, and if you like to fish, you won't be dissapointed.
Back to AKL to get cleaned up then off to AK. We did everything except the safari. Longest wait was on Primevil Whirl, about 15 minutes. Then we hopped a bus to the Studios for dinner at Hollywood and Vine. Then Star Tours and Tower before heading to see Fantasmic. Then back to the hotel so the kids could swim.

11/02 AKL concierge hosts a Sunrise Safari. We left the lodge shortly after 7AM and were guided to a bus waiting at the entrance to AKL. The bus took us in the service entrance to AK while the guide pointed out the different buildings and what animals that they housed. We boarded 2 safari trucks and were taken on a guided tour of the Kilimanjaro Safari. The tour lasted over 45 minutes and the trucks actually stopped while the guide explained how the animals were contained in one area without visible fences and gave information about the animals. The animals were very active and we took some great pictures. We were then taken to the Tusker House Restaurant for a buffet breakfast. The food was awesome.
The back to the hotel to get our luggage and it was off to the airport.

It was a great trip but we were totally exhausted and needed the next day just to catch up on sleep. I guess it's time to start planning the next one now :(
I'll try to post some pics later.

Jim

#4 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 05 November 2002 - 05:38 PM

While the family took the bus back to the hotel, I rode RNR coaster then headed back to meet them.

Forget the familly....MGM is so much better! :(

We started the day by taking a fishing excursion from the Contemporary's marina. This is the second time we have done it, and if you like to fish, you won't be dissapointed.

I never heard about this before. :shock: Is it new? How into fishing do you need to be?

Sounds like a great trip.....thanks for posting! :)

#5 User is offline   wishingtree 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 05 November 2002 - 08:24 PM

The fishing excursions have been around for a while. Our guide had been with with Disney for over 10 years. Even a novice will have a great time. My wife hates fishing but was really into it after she caught her first fish. The guide can help bait hooks or remove fish. We also got some awesome photos of the Contemporary, Poly, Floridian and the Magic Kingdom at sunrise.

Jim

#6 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 05 November 2002 - 10:27 PM

Sounds interesting, I might check it out next time I head on down. :(

Be sure to post any good photos you took!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users