Studios Central: Spoodles to be replaced by new restaurant by Cat Coura - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spoodles to be replaced by new restaurant by Cat Coura

#1 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:05 AM

From WDW Radio

"Iron Chef" Cat Cora and Disney are joining together to open an exciting new family dining restaurant at Disney's BoardWalk Resort. Called "Kouzzina," it will feature a menu of Mediterranean-style cuisine that pays tribute to the chef's Greek roots.

The restaurant is set to open by fall 2009 in the space currently occupied by Spoodles, and will be owned and operated by Disney.

"I am pleased to welcome Cat Cora and her engaging new concept for Kouzzina to the Walt Disney World Resort," said Jay Rasulo, chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. "This collaboration between Cat and Disney represents a significant step in our ongoing commitment to offer unique culinary experiences and choices for our guests."

As a Mississippi native born to a family of Greek restaurateurs, Cora grew up immersed in two different and flavorful cultures, and has taken from that unique background the kitchen "know-how" handed down through generations. The cuisine at Kouzzina (Greek for "kitchen" and pronounced "koo-zee-nah") will showcase Mediterranean cuisine and Chef Cora's philosophy to create simple yet sensational meals.

Cora said that the new restaurant will feature "time-honored recipes passed down from my ancestors, as well as my favorite Greek and Mediterranean dishes that my family loves."

She began working with Disney in 2008 by creating a Disney Video on Demand series to showcase ways to help families develop more healthy eating habits. "I'm extremely excited about this latest extension of my relationship with Disney," she said. "Together, we're going to develop a truly amazing contemporary Mediterranean restaurant."

The first and only female Iron Chef on Food Network's hit show "Iron Chef America," Cora is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America in New York. She also is Executive Chef for Bon Appetit magazine. In addition to hosting the instructional cooking demonstrations for Disney Video on Demand, Cora has been a featured chef at the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival and at Disney's California Food & Wine Festival at Disneyland Resort.

I hate this idea because Spoodles is a great restaurant but mostly because they are taking a good, Disney operated restaurant and replacing it with a restaurant not operated by Disney (which means no more DDE/Tables in Wonderland discount) and I'm sure higher prices.

It's also been my experience service at non-Disney owned restaurants pales in comparison to the Disney ones. Besides, it's yet another example of Disney outsourcing, well, everything.

#2 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:16 PM

I saw this Matt and was about to post about it. It's very disappointing in my opinion. Spoodles was a very good restaurant in a very good location. I wasn't 100% sure if Spoodles was operated by Disney, but I agree with you service is better at the Disney owned restaurants.
It's a shame and it will be missed.

#3 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:44 PM

Bummer, I really liked Spoodles.

On the bright side, this new one isn't owned by the people who own Rainforest Cafe.... :roll:

#4 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:09 PM

Obviously overlooked in the hazy red rage...

QuickGold said:

article said:

The restaurant is set to open by fall 2009 in the space currently occupied by Spoodles, and will be owned and operated by Disney.

I hate this idea because Spoodles is a great restaurant but mostly because they are taking a good, Disney operated restaurant and replacing it with a restaurant not operated by Disney (which means no more DDE/Tables in Wonderland discount) and I'm sure higher prices.

It's also been my experience service at non-Disney owned restaurants pales in comparison to the Disney ones. Besides, it's yet another example of Disney outsourcing, well, everything.

So... what say you now?

I don't care if it's run by Disney or not; I've had fantastic service at Earl of Sandwich, Wolfgang Puck Express, and Raglan Road is one of my top 5 restaurants on property (none of which are run by Disney). I don't like that Spoodles is being chosen to be axed... It will be missed.

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#5 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God
  • Interests:My Children and Family, Disney, Games, UFC

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:46 AM

So... what say you now?

I say... you are mighty good at the reading!

I almost booked an ADR at spoodles this trip... now I wish I had. It is always a shame to see a good dining experience go, but if Disney is branching out and experimenting with something new... somethign they will own and operate... well that is something many of us wish they would do more often. I mean... maybe not me... but I hear people talk about it a lot.

#6 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:20 AM

You could maybe sneak in without an ADR for breakfast or something. Last time I was there, I stopped in for breakfast on my last day without an ADR and was perfectly fine. There were hardly any people there.

And it was a good breakfast.

#7 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God
  • Interests:My Children and Family, Disney, Games, UFC

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

all you can eat eggs right?

#8 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:09 PM

Yea, I saw the bit in the official press release about it being Disney run. Still, I like Spoodles and I'll be shocked if the average price of an entree doesn't rise by a fair margin when it reopens.

#9 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:01 PM

I'm a fan of Cat Cora from watching her on Iron Chef America. While we need to wait to see if the prices increase, I must say I'm very impressed with her creative & cooking skills on Iron Chef and am looking forward to trying the food at Kouzzina. I know it will be different and creative! Frankly, I'm willing to pay through the nose for an exceptional meal every now and then at good restaurants such as Victoria & Albert's or California Grill (going again the end of this month) so Kouzzina will most likely be another once in a while treat even if it's expensive.
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#10 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:28 PM

I have to go with the point of view that dislikes putting in more restaurants that I can go to at the mall. What I think will be interesting, is watching how the menu evolves. Although I'm ok with it, I actually think the majority of people I know, who tend to like a variety of cuisines, do not like Greek food. If Middle America finds themselves unable to hang with grape leaves, cheese pies, and moussaka, I wouldn't be surprised to see the menu go straight back to a generic "Mediterranean" menu of the usual steak/pork chop/fish/salmon/pasta/chicken breast.

While I found Spoodles to vacillate between great and bleh everytime I went, I did like it, and the fact that you could always get an ADR for after-Illuminations. RIP.

#11 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:02 PM

the pizza window was horrible so....
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#12 User is offline   PixieDust 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, music, reading, fun stuff. ;-)

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:56 AM

I'm glad that they are taking out Spoodles. It's one of my least favorite places on property and I've had a few experiences there with horrible service or somethign else wrong with the meal. I'm excited to try it again once it reopens!
Jeanne
Engaged July 17th, 2008 @ Sunset Point
3/3/09 - Sunset Point Wedding
AIM: PixieSBPassion

MySpace

Glenn is my hero!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users