Studios Central: Judge Tosses Out Lawsuit Over Segways Use In Disney World - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Judge Tosses Out Lawsuit Over Segways Use In Disney World

#1 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:44 PM

A federal judge has thrown out a lawsuit against Walt Disney World aimed at forcing the company to allow disabled visitors to ride two-wheeled Segways in its theme parks. (More...)

Were these people nuts? I know I wouldn't feel secure on a Segway in the parks. I'd feel a lot safer on the scooter with the little basket in the front. What do you think?

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:08 PM

I really don't think a lawsuit was necessary. Sure I'd love to drive a Segway in the parks but it'd be a nightmare to get from point A to point B on or off a Segway

#3 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:40 PM

I can see it now. Stroller parking to the left.... Segway parking to the right.
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#4 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:47 AM

We did the Segway tour in Epcot in December and it was a alot of fun. BUT the park was empty....WS was closed so it was just our group.....and the Disney Segways were "locked" to a very low maximum speed. Our group had a hard time using them. I'm sure the people who would be using their own would have much more experience but I still can't imagine anyone using those things in a crowded park!

We have a hard enough time trying to move a small umbrella type stroller through sometimes (thank God those days are almost over :mrgreen: ) And for the record, I'm a very passive stroller pusher...I'm not one of those people mowing down everyone in my path :)

#5 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:31 AM

I thought it was interesting the last time I was there, I saw a small fleet of scooters driving around World Showcase, driven by a bunch of young-adult-ish types, well-dressed, with drinks in hand, who were not obviously handicapped in any way. I had always thought that you had to be handicapped to rent those, but in retrospect, I guess there's no real requirement for it.

I would totally rent a Segway if they allowed it though. Maybe then I'd finally make it to Morocco by lunchtime.

#6 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:36 AM

Jeanine said:

I thought it was interesting the last time I was there, I saw a small fleet of scooters driving around World Showcase, driven by a bunch of young-adult-ish types, well-dressed, with drinks in hand, who were not obviously handicapped in any way. I had always thought that you had to be handicapped to rent those, but in retrospect, I guess there's no real requirement for it.

I would totally rent a Segway if they allowed it though. Maybe then I'd finally make it to Morocco by lunchtime.

That sounds like the tour we did...although we didn't have any drinks :huh: There are Segway tours in Epcot & Fort Wilderness. I think it was about 2 hours. You get trained on them first and then go on a tour of the location. I think it was about $90 per person? It really was fun. I'm sure they offer private tours also to business/conventions.

#7 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:39 AM

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:53 AM

I'm dieing to do a Segway tour

#9 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:06 PM

Oh, these people weren't on Segways--they were just the regular handicapped-ish scooters.

I have done the EPCOT segway tour a couple of times--it's really fun, although I always wonder who would do the 1 hour one--the awesome part is driving around outside.

One year we inadvertently did the tour the morning of the marathon. While it was a little nerve-wracking trying to race across the course between runners to get to the other side, it was also amusing to see the vast majority of the runners begging for rides.

#10 User is offline   FRD714 

• Here We Go! 5..4..3..2...

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:47 PM

QuickGold said:

I'm dieing to do a Segway tour

Me too. I tried out a Segway at Epcot last time I was there.
Frank
"We'd like to dedicate this to our friends out there in that superstretch limo...."

#11 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:53 PM

The people filing the lawsuit were not taking tours. The lawsuit sides with Disney in that it bans the use of Segways for normal guests (that are not on a tour).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users