Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So, about DCA's Club 33

#1 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:10 AM

OK, the announcement is out. What do you all think of California Adventure getting their own version of Club 33?
Professionals admit to the problem. Alcoholics claim they have no problem.

Field Agent Indy reporting for the next World Showcase Mission

#2 User is offline   Rockin' Reilly 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:long walks on the beach, disney trips and adult beverages.....

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:54 AM

where was this announced?

i dont think it will have a large impact, since most "regular" guests dont even know about club 33. and another secret thing isnt gonna help bring people into DCA. but i would like to see what their registration process is, because that mght be something worth doing

#3 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:34 PM

This has not been announced at all. It is a rumor that popped up on the internet a couple of days ago. The rumor mill says they're looking into it, but that's the extent of it.

#4 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:47 PM

What? When? Where? and Why? are my questions

#5 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:11 PM

The rumor says that DCA will open an exclusive club inside the Carthay Circle Theatre replica that is being built as part of the park's refurbishment. The waiting list to get a Club 33 membership, despite the very exorbitant cost of buying a membership, is years long at this point, so there's apparently been talk of trying to ease that somewhat by building a second club inside DCA. If true, it would presumably open around the same time that the CCC is finished as part of the refurbishment.

Whether or not this happens remains a different matter altogether. Club 33 meals cost the same as a single day admission to Disneyland only, so guests there must buy a single day Disneyland ticket regardless of whether or not they already hold a valid admission such as a multi-day ticket or AP. I wonder if the demand will be as high for an exclusive restaurant inside DCA.

#6 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:14 PM

Coming from Blue Sky:

The announcement of this new plan has gotten strong reaction from Disney Geeks/Fans...

I don't think it'll ever be said the the Disney community is ambivalent on something. Many people are expressing outrage that Disney would dilute the specialness of Club 33 by having another exclusive club over in in the Disneyland Resort's sister gate. Others have felt that there is no way people would be giving up their place in line for a secondary club in a park that doesn't reach the high standards that Walt himself would have imposed.

It's clear to understand the strong feelings that Disney fans are having, but I don't think that it should be looked at as something that takes away from Club 33. I've gotten a few e-mails from people that have said: how dare Disney add another private club." They insist that it'll only hurt the original one. Well, first off, it's in an entirely different park so I won't feel that it is taking away from the one in NOS. And from everything I've heard or seen, it won't be a sub-par club it terms of theming or decorations. It'll be a different period of architecture as it should be, but it that's to be expected regarding where it is being placed.

I believe it's the intention of WDI and the Suits to provide a distinctive experience for these members, but I don't know if the price is going to sway die hards on the 33 waiting list to give up their place in line. That being said, I wish they would wait until the new DCA develops a reputation of its own. Maybe around 2013 or 2014 there will be a much greater desire to have a club there and enough Legend will have developed around the rebranded California Adventure to make it so. I also feel that putting it at the front, directly in public view is tricky. I mean, it's the park weenie, or at least one of two (the other being Grizzly Peak) and guest may not take to walking up to the icon and being told: "Sorry, you're not allowed." How would one feel if this had been the case with Sleeping Beauty Castle? The only way this will work is if the bottom area is easily accessible to the general public that moves around Buena Vista street. If they make the entrance to the CCC somewhat discrete and subtle, while still allowing the normal guest to peruse around the lower sections of the building it could be worked out. But WDI and Burbank need to realize that Club 33 succeeds because of its anonymity as well as it's exclusivity and this project doesn't seem to have any of that. But this is still an evolving concept and the final design and implementation haven't even begun to gel. The final form of this club could be very different than what we're discussing here today.

My own personal preference would be for them to put the club somewhere in Hollywoodland once a Second Phase has begun. Hopefully Imagineers will turn this land into more of something like a bygone era of Tinsel Town, and less a working studio. That way they could create a little back alley or culdesac with a discreet entrance into some form of Art Deco building which could house DCA's exclusive club. But that's my two-cents, it's doubtful that the higher-ups in WDI are listening to me. And truthfully, their plans for the CCC may work out, it won't be until the holiday season of 2010 that the front entrance would be done and that is presuming there won't be any delays. That's a year and a half from now. Nations have been born and disappeared in that amount of time. These plans could change a dozen times between now and the debut of this new entrance.

And they probably will...
Professionals admit to the problem. Alcoholics claim they have no problem.

Field Agent Indy reporting for the next World Showcase Mission

#7 User is offline   Eric 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:11 PM

They should open Club D23. ;)

*ducks*
Eric
www.MouseGuest.com

"Universal is like Wal-Mart with roller coasters."
- Buzz Ardman to Paige Turner, 11/1/08

#8 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:09 PM

Who can blame Disney for wanting to develop something new? When the waiting list is over a year long and they've been raising prices, the product is in demand. You have to wonder who is spending this money for these experiences. I think people really want to feel important, and if belonging to a dinner club makes them feel that way, they will. I'm not so sure if that experience would be the best use of my dollar, considering all the great places to eat in so-cal, but whatever. Disney has to do something to answer demand.

Where were all these Disney fans boycotting the expansion of new parks overseas? Does new always mean subpar? I think this is just sensationalist blogging.

#9 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:30 PM

View PostIndyandMarion, on Jul 9 2009, 04:14 PM, said:

I also feel that putting it at the front, directly in public view is tricky. I mean, it's the park weenie, or at least one of two (the other being Grizzly Peak) and guest may not take to walking up to the icon and being told: "Sorry, you're not allowed." How would one feel if this had been the case with Sleeping Beauty Castle? The only way this will work is if the bottom area is easily accessible to the general public that moves around Buena Vista street. If they make the entrance to the CCC somewhat discrete and subtle, while still allowing the normal guest to peruse around the lower sections of the building it could be worked out. But WDI and Burbank need to realize that Club 33 succeeds because of its anonymity as well as it's exclusivity and this project doesn't seem to have any of that. But this is still an evolving concept and the final design and implementation haven't even begun to gel. The final form of this club could be very different than what we're discussing here today.
I thought they already did that in a park and called it Cinderella's Royal Table. :P Or at least it felt that way to those trying to get the elusive reservation.

All kidding aside, I just hope that the new DCA turns out to be something special. I'm pretty neutral on this dinner club idea anyways.

#10 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:03 PM

I think you sort of have to consider why Club 33 is so sought after in the first place, to predict whether this would be a success. My feeling is that part of Club 33's appeal is its sense of belonging to the "Walt Era" of Disneyland's history. While I've never been in there, my understanding is that it has a lot of objects in it that are from the early days which gives it a special significance.

Any new club they build really isn't going to have that same connection, so I would doubt that it would have the same fanatical following the original does. I've been to the Club 33 at Tokyo Disneyland, and while it was a great experience and a beautiful dining establishment, there was nothing in there to make you think you were at Disneyland, and not in a nice restaurant anywhere in the world. While it's probably a huge deal there, it wasn't something I'd leap at shelling out 5K+ for, the way I might if I had the disposable income and the opportunity for DL's Club 33.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users