• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Contemporary Construction

#1 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:05 AM

I knew they were doing some construction, but I didn't know they were going to get rid of the whole building. We took the water launch from WL to MK and I was shocked to see a whole wing gone. And we staying there too - so sad.

8/21/07
Posted Image
8/21/07
Posted Image
July 2003 - we loved our room.
Posted Image
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#2 User is offline   nbodyhome 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney, Travel

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:51 AM

The wing has been gone for nearly a year - I've been there nearly every week for a few months:

http://www.mousesteps.com/index.php?option...4&Itemid=65

They are building a new building now (probably DVC).

Denise

#3 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:54 AM

I remember staying at the Contemporary for my first solo trip to WDW. I won it as part of a special radio promotion. I was the 246 caller out of 500 resort giveaways. Airfare and park admission were not included, and I only got to spend the weekend there, but I did get a cool coupon book of discounts that I sadly did not get to use.

But hey, my sister has a condo and a car, and my girlfriend has DVC. What more could I ask for? :shifty:
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#4 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:30 PM

nbodyhome said:

Yep, the "nothing is going on here" building :roll:

#5 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:40 PM

The Contemporary was my first deluxe resort. During the Shades of Green construction Disney was letting the military use that building (the one that's gone), for the same price that the Shades of Green would have charged and if they were filled up then we would be able to stay anywhere else on property instead.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#6 User is offline   nbodyhome 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:33 PM

QuickGold said:

nbodyhome said:

Yep, the "nothing is going on here" building :roll:

It's a Figment of your Imagination. :shifty:

The Polynesian was my first resort, back around the 5th anniversary of the MK. My family stayed 7 - 10 nights every year until I was a senior in high school, then we moved to FL. The CR was one of my favorite places to go, because of the game room! I will miss it. Plus that lovely Grand Canyon Concourse. I think the game room/fast food area was in a great place, but if they are building something which will connect with the 4th floor - then that might be more convenient for some.

Denise

#7 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:07 PM

I did hear that they had one of the best game rooms, but as far as the fast food goes, I think it's way to tiny.
Is there any rumor of a new pool? The slide they have is really nice but it's not a pool you can swim in. And the deeper round pool is to weird to swim in.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#8 User is offline   nbodyhome 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:49 PM

I haven't heard of a new pool. The game room was huge, and the food area with tables wasn't any smaller than other deluxe resorts have. It was also a good location for those coming in with their bags, being able to get something to eat upon arrival (or for those going to the pool, it wasn't too inconvenient either).

For now, there will only be the grab and go - no burgers (though the pool counter service area may have that, I don't know what their menu is). I was told they'd have pizza and hot dogs, and that should have opened today.

Denise

#9 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:07 PM

The thing I love BEST about staying, especially in that flattened wing, was that it was an easy walk to MK. No crowds and no waiting for the bus.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#10 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:15 PM

nbodyhome said:

Duh!

Look, I know Disney is hush-hush with rumors and stuff, but once you start construction, isn't it time to get the hype machine going?

#11 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:48 PM

QuickGold said:

nbodyhome said:

Duh!

Look, I know Disney is hush-hush with rumors and stuff, but once you start construction, isn't it time to get the hype machine going?

I agree. I asked the Skipper on the water launch, but he said he didn't know. Then I realized that he just couldn't say. When I said that he just smiled.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#12 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:01 PM

queenofthehouse said:

QuickGold said:

nbodyhome said:

Duh!

I agree. I asked the Skipper on the water launch, but he said he didn't know. Then I realized that he just couldn't say. When I said that he just smiled.

If there's one thing the Disney CMs are best at doing is lying and playing dumb. :roll:
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#13 User is offline   nbodyhome 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:07 PM

QuickGold said:

nbodyhome said:

Duh!

Well, you'd think there would be an annoucement. :D There should be some announcements in a month or so - that is traditional for October. So hopefully they'll mention it then!

Denise

#14 User is offline   biblio 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:53 PM

nbodyhome said:

QuickGold said:

nbodyhome said:

Duh!

Well, you'd think there would be an annoucement. :D There should be some announcements in a month or so - that is traditional for October. So hopefully they'll mention it then!

Denise

I would bet that they won't mention it since they are still trying to sell Saratoga and Animal Kingdom. As beautiful as the Animal Kingdom Villas are going to be...wouldn't you rather be on the monorail?

#15 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:41 PM

biblioadonis said:

nbodyhome said:

QuickGold said:

nbodyhome said:

It's a Figment of your Imagination. :)
Duh!

Well, you'd think there would be an annoucement. :) There should be some announcements in a month or so - that is traditional for October. So hopefully they'll mention it then!

Denise

I would bet that they won't mention it since they are still trying to sell Saratoga and Animal Kingdom. As beautiful as the Animal Kingdom Villas are going to be...wouldn't you rather be on the monorail?
Right now? Yes. Don't forget about that huge "Western Way expansion" expansion near AKL, which may make that property a whole lot more appealing.

#16 User is offline   nbodyhome 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:50 PM

I am not DVC - but I actually like the look of the AKL villas (moreso than the CRV preliminary drawings that have been leaked).

Denise

#17 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:44 PM

QuickGold said:

biblioadonis said:

nbodyhome said:

QuickGold said:

nbodyhome said:

It's a Figment of your Imagination. :D
Duh!

Well, you'd think there would be an annoucement. ;) There should be some announcements in a month or so - that is traditional for October. So hopefully they'll mention it then!

Denise

Right now? Yes. Don't forget about that huge "Western Way expansion" expansion near AKL, which may make that property a whole lot more appealing.

Boy you said that right. I see a lot of potential for the area around AKL/AKV. I know a lot of people consider AKL/AKV remote, but doesn't the remote feel need to be in place to coincide with the theme of the resort. Has anyone ever seen a savanna next to a metropolis? Also, AKL/AKV is next a theme park.

As for the Contemporary I really don't understand the timing of everything. I'm a DVC member and I've never seen DVC start building a resort without announcing it first.

#18 User is offline   nbodyhome 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:40 PM

It is odd to be building so rapidly without announcing the project - but supposedly they want to get closer to selling out SS/AKL first. I plan to have more pics up tomorrow, I took them a couple of days ago.

Denise

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users