• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Guess what came in my mailbox

#1 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:12 PM

Remember when I was planning for a Disney vacation by train? Well, a DVD just arrived in my mail, so I must be serious in going. And get this: They think I'm a family. I'm only one person!

Ladies and gentlemen: I have no way to pay for any of this vacation. I'm sure if I saved enough i could get by, but as it stands, my bank account is rapidly decreasing. :cry: So far, I've put up a little money dish with a sign that says "Help Get Me To Walt Disney World This Summer" in my office, but it's not really doing much of any good. Can you think of other ways I can raise some funds for this trip?
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#2 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:17 PM

Sell an organ.

Failing that, sell a piano.

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#3 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:14 PM

COH#1fan said:

Remember when I was planning for a Disney vacation by train? Well, a DVD just arrived in my mail, so I must be serious in going. And get this: They think I'm a family. I'm only one person!

Ladies and gentlemen: I have no way to pay for any of this vacation. I'm sure if I saved enough i could get by, but as it stands, my bank account is rapidly decreasing. :cry: So far, I've put up a little money dish with a sign that says "Help Get Me To Walt Disney World This Summer" in my office, but it's not really doing much of any good. Can you think of other ways I can raise some funds for this trip?

When writing expenses in your checkbook round them to the higher dollar amount. In effect, you'll be saving a certain amount of coin per transaction. Over time that really adds up, but it doesn't hurt your bottom line very much in the short term.

That's one way to save for your trip.

#4 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

ADP said:

When writing expenses in your checkbook round them to the higher dollar amount. In effect, you'll be saving a certain amount of coin per transaction. Over time that really adds up, but it doesn't hurt your bottom line very much in the short term.

That's one way to save for your trip.

It's also one way to screw up your checkbook. No offense, but I'm very particular when I'm keeping records.
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#5 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:21 PM

Easy ways to make money fast are selling plasma, and selling stuff. Idk if you are much of a video gamer, but selling ones that you have been can add up. Game Stop gives good prices in that area.

#6 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:37 PM

Sell things on eBay

#7 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:07 PM

We empty our pockets and put all change in a gallon jar. It helps keep our pockets light and you would be surprised how fast that change adds up. Last year it added up to $300.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#8 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God
  • Interests:My Children and Family, Disney, Games, UFC

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:25 AM

Americans have very little idea of what things are really worth. As the economy takes a downturn that will begin to change a bit... but I make a pretty substantial ammount of money buying things and reselling them.

I suggest going to local yard sales and picking up items to sell on craigslist or ebay.

Clothes are a great way to make a quick buck. I Buy clothes for a quarter at yeard sales and sell them for a few bucks on ebay. I bought a bed last week for fourty dollars and sold it for $250. I bought a table/chairs last night for 60 that I will sell for $300 or more.

It is something you have to work at... knowing how to gauge the larger items... but if you go to lots of yard sales on saturday (look at craigs list or freecycle for locations) and buy clothes that are new with tags for cheap you can easily flip cash relatively quickly on ebay.

Those small items though will take you a while to build an empire of cash... but when you are going solo you can skimp on a lot of things.

Let me know if you want more tips... we are a family of four and my wife is a stay at home mom so we have to get creative with making money.

#9 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:35 PM

My son has been cleaning out his room and we have boxes of stuff. I keep meaning to go on ebay to figure out how it all works. I'm just concerned about giving them my bank account number. Tips would be helpful, these boxes are starting to take over the house. Yard sales are good, but here in the north those stop around October and don't start up again until around late May.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#10 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:11 PM

Good advice. Ebaying your way to Disney does work. I know a friend who did that and they were able to make it. Thye had to use some money saving tips while the were there, but they had a good time all the same.

#11 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:32 PM

I tried the ebay thing a long time ago. Very few people wanted to buy my comic books. :cry:

I think the coin bank is the only way to go.

#12 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:58 PM

One thing my wife and I did for a trip in 2005 was save up for a Disney trip, then book through the Disney website. We booked a year in advance, and, once we paid the 20% downpayment, we made a monthly payment to our vacation... it amounted to less than $2 per day for each of us (my daily Dunkin Donuts coffee was let go). Since we paid as we went... we didn't really miss the money, and, it was great to have the trip paid off before we left.

We did the Dining Plan, Magical Express, Magic Your Way with Parkhopper Fun and More option, and stayed at All Star Movies.

After that, we had to save about $100 each for whatever else wasn't covered.

Granted... tip included in that Dining Plan, but, it worked for us.

#13 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:06 PM

My parents had what we called the Disney jar and we would put money into that as we went along. When we wanted to eat out or something, they would ask us if we wanted to take money from the Disney jar and that usually ended the desire to eat out. You'd be amazed at how much you really can save with something like that.

#14 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:48 AM

There are other things you can do to save money like not eat out as much, make your own lunches for work, curb spending to the necessities, etc.

#15 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

COH#1fan said:

I tried the ebay thing a long time ago. Very few people wanted to buy my comic books. :lol:

I think the coin bank is the only way to go.

Oh Ebay isn't the best place for comic books. Try sniffing around for a good old fashioned comic book store. You can make a few buck that way.

#16 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God
  • Interests:My Children and Family, Disney, Games, UFC

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:55 PM

Everyone tries to sell their collectibles on ebay... look you think I am wrong but I am not. Try it once and see how it goes...

Go to craigs list and look up yard sales in your area. Find the ones that say things like.

American Eagle Clothes
Lots of Abercrombie
Huge selection of Baby Clothes

find out what time they open and get there 20-30 minutes early. The minute they allow you to buy pick up all of the American eagle, abercrombie etc that are in excellent condition and under $1-$2. If they have tags pay a little more but not much.

For kids clothes anything Osh Kosh, childrens place etc will do fine. And are usually even cheaper than adult clothes. Make sure to check for stains and what not!

List them on ebay starting at $.99 and put a 1$ handling fee. No matter what happens then you made a dollar for your time, because your time is worth something. Buy $20 in clothes and make $20 in handling fees... if you sell each item for a dollar more than you bought it (should sell it for $5 or so...) and you combine that with your handling fee you make a minimum of $40 for every $20 you spend...

I go to yard sales and fill a trash bag with clothes and make a low ball offer. They counteroffer and I end up getting a bag for like $60... my wife and I will keep what we want... and I usually make $120 profit on them or more. A lot of people sell clothes for .25 or .50! So you add a $1 handling fee to ebay and then even if you sell it for .99 you still made $1.49 off of your .50 investment.

That is a 298% return on your investment. I don't care who you are... if you are getting a 298% return on a one week investment you are doing amazing for yourself. Now imagine you buy it for $1 sell it for $5 and have a $1 handling fee... that is an amazing 600% return on your investment.

You want to go to Disney... there are fewer better ways to make cash then that. The only way my family affords anything more than gas and groceries is by flipping low end items. Americans have no idea what their stuff is worth and if you take the time... as in give up your sleep in Saturday mornings and an hour or two on Saturday nights... you can make a lot of money.

If you end up doing this I can help you a little more too. I suggest buying a few auction templates for $1 - 5$ to make your auctions look more professional and I also recommend finding similar auctions to yours online and stealing much of their descriptions. No need to reinvent the ebay wheel!

As for Bank account information. Pay Pal is incredibly secure and when you sign up for paypal you can use your bank or your credit card. With your bank you are not liable for any charges made against your account that are unauthorized. Period. You just call your bank, fill out a form and they will reverse the charges immediately no questions asked. It is then on the charging organization to prove it is legitimate.

There is no real risk to giving paypal your bank information. US laws protect you completely from false charges. With credit cards I believe you are liable for the first $25 and nothing more.

#17 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:34 AM

I can concur with the PayPal security... I've been using them since 2002 (I think) and I have never had an issue. Nor have I heard of any.

Not saying there AREN'T any...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users