• You cannot reply to this topic

Here we go again?

#21 User is offline   General Specific 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:10 AM

View Postdarthstich, on Feb 11 2010, 08:17 PM, said:

Blah, Blah, I rain on thy parade.

Yes, I admit that the 5-Star Actors like Ford and Jackson will always say no, but it seems to me that the logistics could be made work out for anyone below that level.

1: Move the autograph locations into the inclement weather location. This allows a more comfortable atmosphere for the celebrities, with air conditioning and a regulated flow of autograph seekers, similar to a convention.

2: Offer a healthy dose of money. On the convention circuit, $20 for an autograph seems like the maximum amount that people would not rage over for non-5* actors. If my numbers are correct, each celebrity has 60 autographs for 3 sessions, 3 days in the weekend, altogether totaling 540 non-standby autographs, or a relative value of up to $10,800. Additionally, offer to make a tax deductable charitable donation of a certain amount in that celebrity's name for every "x' standby autographs they fulfill

3: Negotiate that price downward by treating said celebrities like gods. Throw ever last minutiae of WDW hospitality at them, giving nothing but the absolute best.

4: If all else fails, play a little dirty. The fans are these celebrities' lifeblood, allow the public to have full knowledge of how much money their heroes would turn up their nose at to avoid thanking the fans. See what that does to their pay for autograph lines at the conventions.

#22 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:51 AM

View PostQuickGold, on Feb 11 2010, 08:30 PM, said:

Trust me, we're better off without Billy Dee Williams

Why? Was he tossing free Colt 45 to the crowd?

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#23 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:36 AM

View PostYoPaulie, on Feb 12 2010, 12:51 AM, said:

Why? Was he tossing free Colt 45 to the crowd?

Let's just say he was less than cordial to his fans.

#24 User is offline   IHeartTheStudios 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:57 AM

View PostGeneral Specific, on Feb 11 2010, 04:19 PM, said:

For some clarity, below is the list of all celebrities who have not yet appeared at SWW that would cause me to instantly plan on attending the weekend they were scheduled to appear (at this point, having one or more of these individuals attend might be the only thing that would guarantee my prescence). I tried to be fairly reasonable in my expectations in that not every individual is incredibly unattainable.

Hayden Christensen (Anakin Skywalker)
Harrison Ford (Han Solo)
Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker)
Samuel L. Jackson (Mace Windu)
James Earl Jones (Darth Vader Voice)
Denis Lawson (Wedge Antilles)
Christopher Lee (Count Dooku)
George Lucas
Ian McDiarmid (Emperor Palpatine)
Ewan McGreggor (Prequel Obi-Wan Kenobi)
Liam Neeson (Qui-Gon Jinn)
Frank Oz (Yoda)
Timothy Rose (Admiral Ackbar)
Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian)

Also, this rant isn't just about poor celebrities, it's about stagnation. I know I can't possibly be in the minority when it comes to getting a bit less excited for SWW for every year that Disney puts out the EXACT same event.

Mark Hamil and Billy Dee Williams have both done SWW before. Mark Hamil was a long time ago but Billy Dee Williams was within the last, I don't know, 5 or 6 years. He almost came last year but backed out.

#25 User is offline   IHeartTheStudios 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:01 AM

View PostGeneral Specific, on Feb 12 2010, 12:10 AM, said:

Yes, I admit that the 5-Star Actors like Ford and Jackson will always say no, but it seems to me that the logistics could be made work out for anyone below that level.

1: Move the autograph locations into the inclement weather location. This allows a more comfortable atmosphere for the celebrities, with air conditioning and a regulated flow of autograph seekers, similar to a convention.

2: Offer a healthy dose of money. On the convention circuit, $20 for an autograph seems like the maximum amount that people would not rage over for non-5* actors. If my numbers are correct, each celebrity has 60 autographs for 3 sessions, 3 days in the weekend, altogether totaling 540 non-standby autographs, or a relative value of up to $10,800. Additionally, offer to make a tax deductable charitable donation of a certain amount in that celebrity's name for every "x' standby autographs they fulfill

3: Negotiate that price downward by treating said celebrities like gods. Throw ever last minutiae of WDW hospitality at them, giving nothing but the absolute best.

4: If all else fails, play a little dirty. The fans are these celebrities' lifeblood, allow the public to have full knowledge of how much money their heroes would turn up their nose at to avoid thanking the fans. See what that does to their pay for autograph lines at the conventions.

If only it were that easy.

And if Disney were to follow your advice for number 4 they would never get another celebrity ever. You can't expect to shame celebrities and the others who are planning on attending notice how easily you turn on them. Agents and publicists would make their people avoid Disney like the plague. That is a HUGE backfire waiting to happen. Which is why it won't.

Also, I can tell you that the celebrities are already treated very very well. But when you are a celbrity you pretty much get treated like that wherever you go. It's really not that special, it's expected.

#26 User is offline   General Specific 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:59 AM

View PostIHeartTheStudios, on Feb 15 2010, 07:01 AM, said:

If only it were that easy.

And if Disney were to follow your advice for number 4 they would never get another celebrity ever. You can't expect to shame celebrities and the others who are planning on attending notice how easily you turn on them. Agents and publicists would make their people avoid Disney like the plague. That is a HUGE backfire waiting to happen. Which is why it won't.

Also, I can tell you that the celebrities are already treated very very well. But when you are a celbrity you pretty much get treated like that wherever you go. It's really not that special, it's expected.

If you have a better idea on how to fix SWW, I'd love to hear it. Better a short-term gain with long-term devastation than perpetual mediocrity. Disney's clearly not that interested in marketing SWW to an older demographic (as evidenced by the elimination of the adult trivia challenge and lack of big-name celebrities).

Also, if said celebrities are expecting 5* treatment wherever they go, and can't stoop down to offer some kindness to the fans that give them their life (Mark Hamill, I'm calling a massive B.S. on your $100 autographs), then they deserve to have their reputations torn asunder, the better more deserving idols may step forward.

#27 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:29 PM

View PostGeneral Specific, on Feb 16 2010, 11:59 AM, said:

Also, if said celebrities are expecting 5* treatment wherever they go, and can't stoop down to offer some kindness to the fans that give them their life (Mark Hamill, I'm calling a massive B.S. on your $100 autographs), then they deserve to have their reputations torn asunder, the better more deserving idols may step forward.

Sadly, that's the reality of most celebs are. I agree with your principles, but sadly it would only result in even worse "celebs". Disney has devoted a certain budget for celebrities and that's what they are comfortable spending on the event. Personally, I'd much rather see more events such as the return of trivia and other Star Wars themed shows than for them to try to get a Mark Hamill.

#28 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:24 PM

View PostGeneral Specific, on Feb 16 2010, 11:59 AM, said:

If you have a better idea on how to fix SWW, I'd love to hear it.

I don't Think SWW needs to be fixed. I think it is a great experience, with a few kinks as everything, but nothing to bad. I do agree that mabey one weekend they can spring for a higher end celebrity...

#29 User is offline   General Specific 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:03 PM

[quote name='darthstich' date='Feb 16 2010, 07:24 PM' post='85434']
I don't Think SWW needs to be fixed. I think it is a g

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users