Studios Central: Disney performer dies days after performance fall - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Disney performer dies days after performance fall "Pirate" slips, falls, and eventually dies

#1 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:55 PM

This kind of blew my mind. A pirate performer has a slip & fall accident in the park. After some time in the hospital, he dies.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...0,7112500.story

A performer at Walt Disney World and theater-community mainstay died Monday, four days after he was injured during a show at the Magic Kingdom.

Mark Priest, 47, fell Thursday while playing in "Captain Jack's Pirate Tutorial," an interactive show in which actors lead guests through a series of pirate-skills tests, a Disney spokeswoman said.

Priest, who was in a mock sword fight, stumbled on a wet spot at the show's location, near Pirates of the Caribbean, and then banged into a wall, said friend Jeffrey Breslauer. His injuries included a broken vertebra in his neck and a cut that required 55 stitches to his scalp.

Priest was moved out of intensive care and appeared to be improving, but he experienced complications Monday and died at Florida Hospital Orlando, friends said. An official cause of death has not been determined.

"It was a very freakish thing," said Breslauer, who has known Priest for 18 years.

Company officials received no indication that Priest's injuries were life-threatening, a spokeswoman said. When the resort learned of Priest's death Monday afternoon, officials contacted the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

"Our hearts go out to his family and fellow cast members, and we are offering our support to them during this difficult time," Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said.

The fall took place during Priest's first performance Thursday morning, Priest told Breslauer. The actor playing Captain Jack Sparrow was supposed to kick Priest's comic-sidekick character in the buttocks at the end of a sword fight.

When Priest stepped afterward, he slid on a wet patch and careened headlong into a wall, Breslauer said. He was bleeding and could barely see, but he went backstage quickly so children would not be upset.

Priest was rushed to Florida Hospital Celebration Health and was transferred to Florida Hospital Orlando.

Priest joked during the ordeal. At one point, he said he was at the hospital to pick up women, Breslauer said.

"He didn't want anybody worried about him or scared," Breslauer said.

That was Priest's nature, friends said.

"He was a comedian on and off the stage," said friend John Baker, who performed as a Ghostbuster with Priest at Universal Studios.

Priest arrived in Central Florida in 1989 and played roles at Sleuths Mystery Dinner Shows on International Drive for about 19 years, said his former director, Laurel Clark. He arrived more than an hour before the show to set up props for gags he made up.

"He was known as a perfectionist," Clark said.

#2 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

What this report failed to mention is that he was dubbed fine by doctors and was to stay overnight and return home the next day, meaning the fall may not have been the cause of death

#3 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:40 PM

Too much bad news this year. Condolences to the family. It is very sad when one who brings so much joy to so many each day is gone after such a fluke mishap.; Truly a shame.
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#4 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:29 PM

My condolences to the family. What a horrible thing to happen form such a seemingly innocuous slip.

View Postdarthstich, on Aug 11 2009, 06:39 PM, said:

What this report failed to mention is that he was dubbed fine by doctors and was to stay overnight and return home the next day, meaning the fall may not have been the cause of death

View PostOrlando Sentinel, on Aug 11 2009, 03:55 PM, said:

Priest was moved out of intensive care and appeared to be improving, but he experienced complications Monday and died at Florida Hospital Orlando, friends said. An official cause of death has not been determined.

To me, this reads as "He got infected by some kind of bug at the hospital".

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#5 User is offline   IndyandMarion 

• Studios God

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:31 PM

Shows will return soon but apparently in its original location near the wooden gate. So I'm told.
Professionals admit to the problem. Alcoholics claim they have no problem.

Field Agent Indy reporting for the next World Showcase Mission

#6 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:01 PM

View PostIndyandMarion, on Aug 13 2009, 08:31 PM, said:

Shows will return soon but apparently in its original location near the wooden gate. So I'm told.

Oh good. I thought the Bibbity Bobboity... er i Mean Pirate Adventure, spelled the end of the attraction

#7 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:05 PM

View PostYoPaulie, on Aug 11 2009, 11:29 PM, said:

My condolences to the family. What a horrible thing to happen form such a seemingly innocuous slip.

To me, this reads as "He got infected by some kind of bug at the hospital".

Not necessarily. Head injuries can be easy to miss unfortunately. There are a lot of stories of people banging their heads, nothing shows up at first & then they die later. That's probably why they wanted him to stay overnight for observation. Very sad story!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users