• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

March 2007 Sith Family VACATION!

#1 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:33 PM

Well it is laid out before me now. We arranged for Mickey to call the house on Christmas Day (great program offered by Disney) :trooper: and inform my daughter that we will be going to Disney World in March. This was fun to watch as she figured out what was being said to her over the phone and started jumping around the living room.

We have scheduled a number of things and are locked in for a stay of March 2, 2007 through March 11th at the Port Orleans French Quarter. My daughter will be turning 8 years old during this week :queen: so we are going to celebrate it throughout our stay. Of course the start of our vacation coincides with ESPN the Weekend at MGM Studios, which is an added nicety that I will only sample a little of. I am curious to see who will be there and since I listen to ESPN sports radio much of the time, I do have some interest in seeing what they do for the event.

Here is what we have laid out so far:

-Sat 3/3, MGM Studios, a sampling of all it has to offer including ESPN. We have a dinner reservation that evening 5:30 at the Polonesian, "Ohana Dinner".

-Sun 3/4 Magic Kingdom on and off all day. We will forge for food here and there with no reservations made for meals this day although, Mr. and Mrs. Sith take a break from parenting at 2pm to go to the Grand Floridian for the "Grand Tea". :groom: :rose: :heart:

-Mon 3/5 MGM Studios in the afternoon with the FANTASMIC dinner scheduled at Hollywood and Vine at 4:50 pm (latest possible seating before the show). This worked out well in the past so the only variable here is the weather.

-Tues 3/6 I'm told we will be going to Universal for a day. (Blasphemy!!!)

-Wed 3/7 A day at Animal Kingdom

-Thurs 3/8 Magic Kingdom, Extra Magic Hours in the morning, Crystal Palace for Breakfast. A break at Mid day followed by a trip to Downtown Disney to the Bippity, Boppity, Boo Botique where my little princess with get Hair and Nails done before being wisked away to the Magic Kingdom again for the "Pirates and Princesses Party" evening! :pirate: :queen: :twisted:

-Fri 3/9 A trip to EPCOT

-Sat 3/10 MGM in the Morning and Magic Kingdom in the Evening. Dinner at Chef Mickey's for the B'Day Bash with Mickey, Minnie and the gang.

-Sun 3/11 a sad return to reality as we go home. "Boooooooo"

We may add another meal or two, but right now this is all we want to schedule. The crowds should be good until that last day or so, so being flexible shouldn't be a problem. Of course a trip report will follow. In the mean time we are just getting excited and counting days. :jedi:
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:48 PM

ESPN Weekend should be interesting and I'd love to see any photos you take of it and read a report of it. What was the Mickey phone call on Xmas like? Was it a canned message? or interactive?

#3 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:05 PM

I'll see what I can get on the ESPN the Weekend. I have to see what the family will let me escape for....

As for the Mickey call, it is "canned". You need to be staying at a Disney Resort and have your confirmation number. With that you can have Mickey call any phone number you wish to announce to the call recipient that they are going to Disney World. The Link for this is here : https://www.pushacall.com/mickey/

I didn't get to hear it myself since we let my daughter answer, but essentially Mickey gets on the phone and says that they have heard that you will be coming to Disney World soon for a fun filled Vacation. :trooper: What makes it special is if you are doing it for someone who doesn't know about the trip. It is a nice way to break it to family, wives, girl friends, etc....

It worked very well for us and it was special since they did it on Christmas day. The rest of the time they give you a window where they will call in. I'd like to hear more specifics about what is said if anyone else has heard this before... I've only heard it second hand from a 7 year old. :jedi: :lol:
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#4 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:40 PM

It would have been cool if they had someone doing a Mickey voice and interact for a few mins. THAT would be worth booking a trip, but I'm sure your daughter got a kick out of it Colin.

#5 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:17 PM

I love the idea of the call from Mickey, on Christmas day. How exciting that must have been for your daughter. I put in wake up calls, when I'm at the resort, just so Mickey will call and wake me up. Yes, it's silly, but aren't we supposed to be at Disney.

Your family vacation, will be a wonderful birthday for your little princess. Something she will always remember.

Have a great time; I'm sure you're counting the days.

Maureen
:queen:
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#6 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:59 AM

That must have been really cute! I'm pretty sure they are still doing the Mickey calls if you have a confirmed reservation. It's also available to DVC members. I have the link to set up the calls somewhere.

I was going to try it for our MAY trip...but don't want to get the kiddies hopes up and then tell them we have to cancel since no SWW :bluecry:

#7 User is offline   Ward 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:25 PM

The Dark Lord of the Sith said:

-Tues 3/6 I'm told we will be going to Universal for a day. (Blasphemy!!!)

Hopefully either you're kidding about the "blasphemy" part, or you've warmed up to the idea of Universal. It's an OK park (or, parks) that has some great rides. Tops would be:

- Spiderman
- Hulk
- Fire & Ice
- Men in Black

Lesser, but still cool, stuff includes Mummy, Shrek 3D, and even the Fear Factor show.

Yes, it's no Disney -- but it's still fun for a day! :D

#8 User is offline   Nick Poppageorgio 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:MacGyver, Evil Dead, MGM, Disney, theme parks, IJ,Ghostbusters

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:04 PM

Really. Would you rather go to Universal or Seaworld(the horror!)?

#9 User is offline   PixieDust 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, music, reading, fun stuff. ;-)

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:21 PM

I'll be there for your entire vacation! LOL! That's my Spring Break so I'm spending March 2nd-11th in the parks! We dont have a schedule like you since it will be a go wherever sort of thing, but I am going to ESPN the weekend also. I've heard it's not very crowded normally.
Jeanne
Engaged July 17th, 2008 @ Sunset Point
3/3/09 - Sunset Point Wedding
AIM: PixieSBPassion

MySpace

Glenn is my hero!!

#10 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:57 AM

My plan is to stop by the ESPN the weekend and check it out. But it isn't of much intrest to the rest of my travel party. We are definately going to have to try and get together for the Mini-meet. After that I'm sure we will cross paths several times over the next week!

I do hope there are not too many schools having Spring Break this week. I know a lot of them will be starting around the 10th on their breaks. I just hope the crowds are not too bad.

By the way, each time I see your countdown to your wedding, I grow just a little bit jealous/envious :twisted: over your Disney Wedding. It just sounds VERY cool! :D

POFQ May 16-19

#11 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:05 AM

Ward & Nick, where my daughter is 7, I'd prefer to do Sea World. Universal will be more appealing to her when she is older. Right now she loves the animals. I personally have a penchant for the free beer served at Seaworld. 8) :mrgreen:

POFQ May 16-19

#12 User is offline   PixieDust 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, music, reading, fun stuff. ;-)

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:29 AM

My plan is to stop by the ESPN the weekend and check it out. But it isn't of much intrest to the rest of my travel party. We are definately going to have to try and get together for the Mini-meet. After that I'm sure we will cross paths several times over the next week!

I do hope there are not too many schools having Spring Break this week. I know a lot of them will be starting around the 10th on their breaks. I just hope the crowds are not too bad.

By the way, each time I see your countdown to your wedding, I grow just a little bit jealous/envious :twisted: over your Disney Wedding. It just sounds VERY cool! :jedi:

A lot of schools will not have their spring breaks then. My Spring Break is the earliest of all the colleges in Central Florida. Most of them will be a week or two after mine. THe ones up north are also after mine. I go to Disney every year during my Spring Break and it normally isn't that crowded. Occasionally I'll run into a crowd, but normally it's close to nothing. :-)

I'm glad your excited for my wedding? Whenever I see it, it makes me worry. :lol: I can't book it until 8 months out. That's the date that Disney has "unofficially" for my wedding, but it may change depending on when I call the day I can book it. So April 4th can't get here fast enough! I want to know if that's the day I'm officially getting married or not. That's the "unofficial" date though.
Jeanne
Engaged July 17th, 2008 @ Sunset Point
3/3/09 - Sunset Point Wedding
AIM: PixieSBPassion

MySpace

Glenn is my hero!!

#13 User is offline   Nick Poppageorgio 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:MacGyver, Evil Dead, MGM, Disney, theme parks, IJ,Ghostbusters

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:03 AM

Busch Gardens in Tampa also has free beer. I see your point.

#14 User is offline   COH#1fan 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, travel, comics, live performance

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:35 PM

As for the Mickey call, it is "canned". You need to be staying at a Disney Resort and have your confirmation number. With that you can have Mickey call any phone number you wish to announce to the call recipient that they are going to Disney World. The Link for this is here : https://www.pushacall.com/mickey/

I didn't get to hear it myself since we let my daughter answer, but essentially Mickey gets on the phone and says that they have heard that you will be coming to Disney World soon for a fun filled Vacation. :jedi: What makes it special is if you are doing it for someone who doesn't know about the trip. It is a nice way to break it to family, wives, girl friends, etc....

It worked very well for us and it was special since they did it on Christmas day. The rest of the time they give you a window where they will call in. I'd like to hear more specifics about what is said if anyone else has heard this before... I've only heard it second hand from a 7 year old. :lol: :jedi:

One time, I went to WDW on my birthday, and I got a canned phone response from Goofy. I would have preferred Mickey since I had a "strained relationship" with him at the time. We made up last trip, yet I still can't help but think that Mickey Mouse has a bad day with guests sometimes. Maybe it's me. :?
"In an age of fads, copycats, and rapidly changing trends, you have chosen to stand out from the rest and be an individual. We applaud your courage and self-expression. Thanks for being a part of our show today. Don't ever change. The world needs more people with your spirit." - The Citizens of Hollywood

#15 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:16 PM

With Mickey, I've come to expect a waive and smile. I try not to let my expectations go beyond that, so I'm rarely dissapointed. :lol:

POFQ May 16-19

#16 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:16 AM

Well I figure it is about time to actually comment on this trip. Here goes.....

We got off to a shakey start on Friday March 2nd with a Delay at the Airport leaving Norfolk, Virginia. This delay turned what should have been an evening arrival to the Port Orleans, French Quarter into a LATE arrival. We like to stop by the store for drinks, snacks and so forth to put in the room fridge, so by the time we got in and got to bed it was VERY late. Still, in all of our trips in the past 4 years, this was the first time we had a problem, so there was little point in making a fuss. It just put us a little behind.

On Saturday we did not get an early start intentionally. We leisurely had breakfast at the French Quarters Food Court (I love those Cherry Dannishs) and then started out with a visit to our Favorite Park, MGM Studios. My daughter kicked it off by grabbing my hand and insisting that we go ride Star Tours first. (almost get misty eyed when I think of how proud I am of her :lol: ) Not being one to argue I complied. :D ESPN the Weekend was going on and although I had checked out what they had on tap for the day, I honestly was not impressed. I am a big sports fan and this event just did nothing to quicken my pulse. Now maybe I would have felt differently if I liked any of the sports stars they brought in, but for me there really wasn't anyone. Sorry Ben Rothlessburger.

So instead my attention was on the Mini Meet for MGMStudios.org. With arrangements already made to have my daughter occupied, my wife and I were free to actually hang out for a little while. We abused Matt for a couple of Mixed drinks.... and yes I still owe him another drink back... and also got a chance to break in my Disney Drinking Experirence Card buying a round for the group on hand. Without making too much of it I do want to say that this was a great meet. The only think I might insist on next time is that we all pick a ride to go on or try and have lunch together. This was really a great group and they were a lot of fun to talk to. Of course being the older married couple it was fun to hear the young soon to be married couples talking. So aside from leaving there still owing Matt another drink, all I can say is Thanks for a great meet gang!

Then it came time to find my daughter who was with my father in law. To make a long story short we couldn't. He had gotten confussed and instead of meeting us at the Backlot Express, was at the Studio Catering Company over by the Backlot Tour. Anyway it took us a much longer time than it should have to straighten this out and I missed an opportunity to have lunch with Matt and his fiancee. (You might have gotten that beer!) Anyway, following this little snafu, we settled in to enjoying the park and trying to get into our vacation mode.

That evening we had our first trip to the Polynesian Resort Planned. We had dinner at Ohana, and I must say that this meal is worth it! Again armed with the Disney Dinning Experience Card this was one of the most pleasurable places to eat we've been to. The reservations have to be made well in advance, but again... they are worth it! The kids get to participate in a coconut rolling race. Everyone is encouraged to speak with all of the guests around you (this may be something you want to make sure you are prepared for). The children also get to participate in a parade like dance around the restraunt as well as a game of Limbo. Again, this whole thing was just loved by the Sith Family :cry: :lol: :lol:

On Sunday we started the Day at Magic Kingdom. Being big fans of Pirates of the Carribean, this was our first opportunity to see it since it was re-done. For the most part I was very happy with it. The addition of Davy Jones at the start is very cool. My only real complaints are that we no longer have the skull and crossbones before the drop and we could use an Elizabeth Swann and Will Turner additions someday. But mostly I miss something in that dark area before the drop. I actually think it would be a good place to put one more Davy Jones mist effect in, warning you away. Passing through something like that to take a dark drop would be neat... IMO.

Anyway things went well during our morning Visit to MK. We did attempt to go find the "paint brushes" at Tom Sawyer Island and had a great time running around there trying to come up with one, but did not have any success. After that we continued to ride our favorites but we had to keep and eye on the time, because the other "adult" activiity planned for this trip was scheduled on this day. At 2pm my wife and I had Grand Tea at the Grand Floridian. Again the DDE card is my friend, and like the Ohana Dinner, my wife and I have a GREAT time.

The Tea opens with Champagne, and you select your choice of tea. There are small sandwhiches to eat while you enjoy your tea followed by your choice of deserts. :groom: :heart: :queen: To top it off my wife and I also ordered Grand Mermossa's before returning to our resort. Again, this is on my list of things to do again.... when I have kid coverage! :wink:

Later the family returned MK for more fun and extra magic hours. Dinner was simple as we snagged baked potatoes from one of our favorite spots near Liberty Square. The weather was chilly enough that this was exactly what we needed... along with any number of additional snacks I bought going around the park that evening. Evening Magic Hours are great. Between racing around Pirates of the Carribean, the Haunted Mansion, the Indy Racing and blasting around Buzz Light year, we had a great day!

I'll stop here for now and continue this later..... Hope it isn't too dull :!: :twisted:

POFQ May 16-19

#17 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:33 PM

Great report Colin :cry: I agree that we needed to do more than just booze it up. I think meeting at Tune-In is a good start, followed by lunch and a ride. Maybe next time we'll make a reservation at Primetime so we don't have to go far from Tune-In.

Glad to hear your daughter is completely brain washed and that you were able to find her later. You wife was not a happy camper while you were out there looking for her.

#18 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:31 PM

I still have no problem with boozing it up.... but agree, we could grab a lunch right there by the bar :mrgreen:

Yep, Allie is completely brainwashed! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :twisted:

And you are right, the wife was NOT a happy camper. There was a great deal of mumbling going on about not having her father come next year. lol

POFQ May 16-19

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users