• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The in-laws need you...

#1 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Running, Eating, Laughing, Running, Eating, Laughing

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:46 PM

My sister-in-law is planning her family's first trip to Disney. One of the questions she had was about resorts. They want to stay in a nicer hotel (meaning not Value) but are not sure if they want to cough up the kibby for an uber-deluxe room. Is it better to send them the way of FQ, RS, CB or send them to AKL, WL, SSR, or OKW? I have stayed in all except for SSR & OKW. As of right now they won't have a rental car; this could change. They will have a 6 & 4 year old at the time of the trip and her husband likes to run. Your thoughts...

#2 User is offline   IHeartTheStudios 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:23 PM

I would put in a vote for Port Orleans. I think you should only cough up the $ for a deluxe if you intend to spend a lot of time at the resort which generally ends up not being the case. Orleans has a great pool for kids and lots of paths for running.

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:46 AM

View PostIHeartTheStudios, on Oct 11 2009, 11:23 PM, said:

I would put in a vote for Port Orleans. I think you should only cough up the $ for a deluxe if you intend to spend a lot of time at the resort which generally ends up not being the case. Orleans has a great pool for kids and lots of paths for running.

I agree with your point. Deluxe resorts are great, but I'd say it's worth it if they are planning on spending a lot of time at the resort or really value convenience (like a monorail resort affords great access to MK, which is great for young children and senior citizens).

I'm a big fan of French Quarter or Caribbean Beach.

#4 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:12 AM

Well, I'm a bit biased because I've owned at OKW since 1994 but I love that resort. The rooms - especially if you get a 1 or 2 BR (or obviously the Grand Villa) are HUGE compared to even the other DVC resorts - nice for the kids to stretch. You can also save quite a bit of money just having breakfast & and occasionally dinner in the room. Washer/dryers in the room also allow you to pack less and do laundry easily. The entire resort is intertwined with a golf course so there are plenty of paths to run. Only possible negative, depending upon where in the resort your room is, can be the bus wait. If you're farther from the front, you would have to wait for the resort bus to shuttle you to the front where you would then catch a bus to the parks.
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#5 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:31 PM

Just my opinion of course, but you won't find a more unique resort experience than AKL. Having the animals outside your room (savanna view) or right outside the resort is great! The kids would love it.

As for running, I ran between AKL Jambo and Kidani Village. It's a nice run between the 2 building's main entrances. I went back and forth twice for a total of 2 miles.

Bus transportation isn't bad. Jambo House and Kidani Village share bus service. Your bus trip to the Animal Kingdom is minimal (5 minutes). Bus trips to the other parks will be longer. In my opinion staying at AKL is worth the extra time going to EPCOT, DHS, MK, and Downtown Disney.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users