Studios Central: Matt's Surprise Graduation Trip - Day 2 - Blizzard Beach - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Matt's Surprise Graduation Trip - Day 2 - Blizzard Beach

#1 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 31 May 2004 - 12:32 PM

Da Crew: Me, 22 year old stud 8) Graduated from Pace University in New York City
Emily: Younger sister
Naomi: Youngest sister who's afraid of roller coasters
Mom & Dad: Those people with all the money.

Lodging: Hotel Royal Plaza at Downtown Disney

Duration: 5/26 - 5/29

Transportation: Song Airlines from Hartford, CT

I think on the first full day of anyone's trip to WDW, you can wake up at 3am after 2 hours of sleep and still be ready to go all at it. Such was the case today. We woke up, got dressed and headed to Waffle House for breakfast. Our plan for today was to spend some the majority of the day at Blizzard Beach. BB didn't open until 10 so we had some leeway with waking up.

After breakfast, we had to go pickup a ticket I had bought from an online vendor. This particular ticket was a 3 Day Park Hopper Plus and because of how rare it is to get, I could only find one broker who sold it. Well it ended up that the place was like 10 miles away and by the time we picked it up and got to BB, it was close to noon time. Regardless, we got there and after parking the car my dad noticed the snow theme of the place and in a semi-joking manner said, "Look, snow! Why didn't we bring jackets?!" I'm sure you all have dad's and/or uncles who make jokes out of everything and at the time, it was pretty funny.

We got it, got suckered into buying one of those refillable mugs, navigated a sea of people with no shirts on and managed to find a few chairs to call our own. Everyone but me wanted to go to the wave pool to start off but I couldn't sit idly by when there were perfectly good waterslides waiting for me. So off I went on my own. I took the chairlift up via the singles line and ended up with what I can only describe as the most stereotypical pre-teenage girls on earth. From the moment I got on, it was non-stop chatter. All they needed was a valley girl accent and they'd have been a spitting image of someone from the movie Valley Girls. Nice girls, but talked alot. Anywho, after getting off the chair lift, I rode Slush Gusher, better known as "that other slide next to Summit Plummet for those too scared or too hot to wait on line for Summit Plummet". Now, I'm not sure if it's because I'm like super aerodynamic or perhaps there's something about the New York air, but everytime I rode Slush Gusher, I would always loose contact with the slide after the second "bump" and then come back down a second later. It's kind of scary in that the slide that is supposed to be less scary made me airborne while the so-called scarier slide merely gives you an enema. At any rate, we spent the better part of the day at Blizzard Beach. I thought it was pretty good and the only real lines were for the slides near Summit Plummet. The rest of the slides had short waits.

We left Blizzard Beach at 4:30, tired and mostly sunburned, and went back to the hotel to change for dinner. If you've ever shared a hotel room with people related to you, you know the inevitable fight for the shower that will occur. If you stay with people who you're not related to, most folks remain civil and offer the other members of their party the opportunity to shower first. When it comes to immediate family, we seem to lose any and all inhibitions and freely flex our selfish nature. So after some bickering and subsequent showering, we went to Disney's boardwalk for dinner. We managed to eat at Big River Grille & Brewing Works. Food was good and my dad ordered the beer sampler, which for a man of his age, was way over his head. They gave him about a half
dozen glasses of beer (each glass was about the size of a triple shot glass, or as Disney refers to them, "Toothpick holders") and I lessened his load by drinking a few of them to make sure he didn't become a "cheap date" :P After dinner, we walked around the lake and stopped at a pearl store. Let me warn any guy who brings their date to the Boardwalk to stay clear of this place.....it's nothing but a money trap. Let me explain. The big scam here is they offer to give you your very own oyster to open for just $13. Off the bat, it sounds like a good idea; $13 to open an oyster, get a pearl and have a dandy memory. Well, after you open it, you're in for a harder sell than one of those off-property timeshare deals. Between my two sisters, my dad ended up buying a pair of pearl earings and a necklace for the pearl we had gotten out of our oyster. I wont post how much this all cost, but rest assured, it made a meal at the parks seem like a bargain. :D

So our first full day was behind us and we headed back to our hotel, ready to hit the parks!

Things I Learned:
- Water Park on your first day = bad idea. The water parks are fun, don't get me wrong but more than likely you're going to get sunburned somewhere and when you have to walk through the theme parks with your new found burden, it really sucks. My best advice is to do water parks near the end of your trip and then flaunt your sunburns when you come home.

- Beer sampler at Big River Grille & Brewing Works is not a good idea for lightweights ;)

Tomorrow....MGM!

#2 User is offline   lilchippewa 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 May 2004 - 01:48 PM

Nice report Matt! I've made a note about the beer sampler. :D
-Josh

#3 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney. Should there be anything else?

Posted 31 May 2004 - 04:26 PM

lilchippewa said:

Nice report Matt! I've made a note about the beer sampler. :)

Same here.

My mother will be down in July. I already warned her this was MY place I have control of who sleeps where and who uses what. So did you get the shower first?

#4 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 31 May 2004 - 06:01 PM

Matt was in the shower at 10, or was that another day? Or maybe that was just your sister trying to get me off her phone :)

#5 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 01 June 2004 - 10:36 AM

Of course I got the shower first and Jillian talked to my sister briefly during that time. I should note that we'd been playing phone tag before that point and I was leaving threatening messages on Jillians phone but we finally got a hold of each other :)

#6 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney. Should there be anything else?

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:08 AM

QuickGold said:

Of course I got the shower first and Jillian talked to my sister briefly during that time. I should note that we'd been playing phone tag before that point and I was leaving threatening messages on Jillians phone but we finally got a hold of each other :)

You should have called me I would have told you where she was hiding.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users