Studios Central: Addition of Revamped Star Tours 2 - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Addition of Revamped Star Tours 2

#1 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:58 PM

Let me first go on the record by saying I haven't experienced the refurbished Star Tours 2 attraction. I guess my question is two-fold. For those who have rode Star Tours 2 do you think it could be considered an E Ticket attraction now? If so, do you feel Hollywood Studios now has 4 E Ticket attractions with TSMM, Coaster, and ToT? Just curious what everyone thought? If DHS has 4 legitimate E Ticket attractions I'd say DHS has made a significant step in becoming a very full day park. No? Yes?

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:46 PM

It's a good question Aaron. Star Tours is definitely a thrill ride, but not sure if I'd bump it up from a D-ticket attraction to an E-ticket. I will say it's very close.

I do think the addition of Star Tours combined with the recent additions of American Idol, TSMM and some additional character experiences definitely push the Studios into the full day range more than ever. Frankly I thought DHS has been a full day park for a few years now but obviously I'm slightly biased. It's hard to argue with the fact that between just Tower, Coaster, TSMM and Star Tours you have a pretty full morning before you even touch any other attraction. If you still think DHS is a half day park then you have to be cutting out half of the parks attractions.

#3 User is offline   The Dark Lord of the Sith 

• Resident Sith Lord
  • Interests:Hockey/Star Wars/Disney

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:46 PM

I'm jealous of those who have gotten the previews in. Everything sounds very cool and I'm trying to avoid spoilers. Most likely will only get to ride a few times with the crowds being what they are, but do hope to also check out Disneylands version later this summer. Can't wait until Friday!
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be ...unnatural.

POFQ May 16-19

#4 User is offline   Meet me at the Derby 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

If you don't mind, i'd like to rephrase the original question. Despite the long waits, Toy Story Mania in my opinion, is not a E ticket attraction. It's a fun ride, but just not in the same catagory as Rockin Roller Coaster or Tower of Terror. Hey, there isn't even a web site dedicated to it. Right?
So, is Star Tours 2 equal to the level of excitement you have with Toy Story? Or would you say it's closer to Rockin Roller Coaster?

I hope to be able to answer this question myself after this weekend! But for those of you who have already experienced ST2, what do you think?

#5 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

View PostMeet me at the Derby, on 18 May 2011 - 10:47 AM, said:

Despite the long waits, Toy Story Mania in my opinion, is not a E ticket attraction.

*Faint* :)

I guess it's a matter of perspecitve and what you consider an E Ticket attraction.

#6 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:51 PM

E-Ticket really reflects popularity more than thrills (although thrills and popularity usually go hand in hand). I'd definitely consider TSMM an E-ticket

#7 User is offline   Meet me at the Derby 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:05 AM

View PostQuickGold, on 18 May 2011 - 09:51 PM, said:

E-Ticket really reflects popularity more than thrills (although thrills and popularity usually go hand in hand). I'd definitely consider TSMM an E-ticket

O.K. I suppose there are tons of people who will stand in line 60 minutes to ride TSMM. I certainly am not one of them. I do however, routinely wait 60 minutes to ride RnRC. That's why i don't put those 2 attractions in the same catagory.

So let me rephrase the question in terms of popularity. Many times i have ridden RnRC, and jumped right back in line. That's a popular attraction in my book. Will Star Tours 2 have the same effect on people? Or will they ride once and check it off the list, like i do with TSMM?
But more to the point, what is the most comparable attraction to ST2? For me, TSMM is an advanced Buzz Lightyear. Is ST2 comparable to Soarin? Dinosaur? Peter Pans Flight? In any case, I'll get to make up my own mind the 22nd. But what do you all think?

#8 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:21 PM

While I love TSMM, I place the new Star Tours easily above it. On my last Disneyland visit, I only rode TSMM once because I was spending more time in line for Star Tours, and my waits weren't bad after the 3 hour wait at park opening (with 90 minutes of that waiting for Disney to actually open the ride to the public). I'd say that that the new tech and ride combinations make it an E-Ticket.

#9 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God
  • Interests:My Children and Family, Disney, Games, UFC

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:27 PM

Before the ride came out they had talked about windows and possibly a sunroof style opening on top. Did any of these ideas pan out? Can you look out of the side windos now?

#10 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:24 PM

I think the cabin design is very similar, if not identical to what it was before. Still just the main viewscreen. They did not go for the Star Trek: The Experience style shuttlecraft view. If anyone wants an explanation of how that worked, please ask.

The difference now is that the simulator is much more immersive than it was before. And I don't think the original Star Tours had a problem with immersion. In my opinion, the use of 3-D in Star Tours 2.0 is much more about adding depth than "cheap 3-D tricks."

#11 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:54 AM

View PostSleepless Knight, on 15 June 2011 - 07:24 PM, said:

The difference now is that the simulator is much more immersive than it was before. And I don't think the original Star Tours had a problem with immersion. In my opinion, the use of 3-D in Star Tours 2.0 is much more about adding depth than "cheap 3-D tricks."

Agreed, the 3D is subtle, with the only real cheap 3D trick being the very end of the Naboo landing

#12 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney World, Harry Potter, Star Wars and my family

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

View PostQuickGold, on 16 June 2011 - 10:54 AM, said:

Agreed, the 3D is subtle, with the only real cheap 3D trick being the very end of the Naboo landing

I guess I like cheap because the effect on the Naboo landing is my favorite one!!
Por favor mantenganse alejados de las puertas

#13 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

View Postyulilin, on 16 June 2011 - 02:48 PM, said:

I guess I like cheap because the effect on the Naboo landing is my favorite one!!
I think that's a great effect. Yes, it's the traditional 3-D gimmick, but it's also very funny and well done. In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with cheap 3-D tricks when done right. I also think Disney fans use that specific phrase because of Muppet Vision.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users